Lumar vs Xpel wrap

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 12:47 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Lumar vs Xpel wrap

Doing some research:

Anyone have an opinion on the differences in quality? Apparently Xpel has 10 year warranty while Lumar has 5.

Xpel about 20% more pricey? Xpel self-heals. Does Lumar?

Thanks

Vivian
Old 01-16-2015, 02:16 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I think usually people compare Xpel and Suntek. Both self heal. I'd never heard of anyone using Llumar.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:26 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I went with the new 3M product....7 year warranty and 2 layers of clear coat....great product IMO
Old 01-16-2015, 03:05 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

irish guitar - It will be tough to really nail down the differences because every one's experience has so many factors(car, color, weather, installation, environments ect.). I would say this; the INSTALLER is really the number 1 criteria. Once you find the Installer they will give you their pros and cons on the films they offer and then you can choose which best fits your scenario.

But, I will say that Xpel has certainly earned to be on the very top of the list for clear film. It some times is a little more difficult to work with and fully wrap because it is slightly thicker( unnoticeably though) than some of the other films. My last couple cars I have gone with Xpel but that was because the Installer I have been using prefers Xpel. - and I have been happy
Old 01-16-2015, 03:09 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

^ thanks. Let me ask about Clearplex for the windshield; are many of you using that? Is it worthwhile?

Vivian.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:17 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

That I do not have experience with. Some love it and say you can not even notice but I have heard others' complain that it throws them(sight) off and have had it removed.

I am sure others' with some experience with this product will comment
Old 01-16-2015, 03:17 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
I went with the new 3M product....7 year warranty and 2 layers of clear coat....great product IMO
This is the best product on the market if you can get it, go for it.

Sadly, 3M didn't have a 60" roll available when my car was getting done so I couldn't do the full hood. Ended up with Xpel instead.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:19 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
This is the best product on the market if you can get it, go for it.

Sadly, 3M didn't have a 60" roll available when my car was getting done so I couldn't do the full hood. Ended up with Xpel instead.
Yea my installer made me wait 2 weeks as he had the 60" roll on order....
Old 01-16-2015, 04:10 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Never heard of the Lumar wrap. I think you will be very please with Xpel though. I looks and works great. I kissed the curb and it saved my bumper. I peeled it back to make sure there was no damage underneath and its quite thick. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:10 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Do 3M give a 7 year warranty against yellowing?

Edit! The reason I ask is because I'm just about to rewrap my 4.0! Did the front bumper and fenders when it was new 3 years ago. They are so yellow so I couldn't stand it anymore.

Last edited by 997rs4.0; 01-16-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:55 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by irish guitar
Doing some research:

Anyone have an opinion on the differences in quality? Apparently Xpel has 10 year warranty while Lumar has 5.

Xpel about 20% more pricey? Xpel self-heals. Does Lumar?

Thanks

Vivian
I wanted to go Xpel because of the 10 year warranty over the SunTek that only has a 5 year warranty. My installer showed me two rolls side by side, Xpel and Suntek. The Xpel is yellow compared to Suntek. With a white car, I decided to go Suntek. It's supposedly easier to install as well and less likely to result in stretch type marks upon installation. However, I think you have a black one so, it may not be as important. The Xpel is thicker by the way, both self heal. Don't know anything about Lumar. By the way, the price between films is irrelevant. What is important is picking the right installer because that's where the cost will show.

As for Clearplex, I got it because about a decade ago I did a canyon run up Angeles crest and had my entire front windshield peppered with minute rock chips from that run. When examined in good sunlight, it looks like a star field from Star Wars or Star Trek. When I heard about Clearplex, it was a no brainer. The thing is, it's very difficult to install. The video on You Tube makes it look very easy. It's not. My installer with many years of experience had difficulty getting it "perfect" and even had to redo or no charge work because it wasn't up to standard. In other words, you need to have it done by someone very, very good to have an excellent bubble free job done. I'm pleased to say, mine came out perfect.

Dan (says congrats Vivian and suggests you come out to our next run)
Old 01-16-2015, 07:05 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Agree with Dan above on the Suntek.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:03 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Was your last film install not warrantied against yellowing? Everyone seems to suggest these films yellow on white cars, yet all the films Gabe warranties against yellowing, so is everyone getting their films replaced for free every couple years?

Or does the film warranty just cover the film cost and not the labor of reinstall?

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Do 3M give a 7 year warranty against yellowing?

Edit! The reason I ask is because I'm just about to rewrap my 4.0! Did the front bumper and fenders when it was new 3 years ago. They are so yellow so I couldn't stand it anymore.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:32 PM
jcoles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did one fender in Xpel and then switched to Suntek IMHO, the Xpel didn't look as good as the Suntek did which was on a white 918 sitting next to my GT3 with the Xpel fender. I think Suntek is a better choice for a white car. I used the same installer as hfm though.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:06 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by irish guitar
^ thanks. Let me ask about Clearplex for the windshield; are many of you using that? Is it worthwhile?

Vivian.
Vivian,

Boca Auto Supershield does the best work here in south Florida

I went with SunTek on white car which was the owners recommendation

and did a similar windshield product to clearplex install with Graffiti Film

my last car I had to replace the windshield cost for OEM $1100 on 997.2 2010 car ,

that car saw 64 track days and was due for another when parted with

Clearplex a must in my opinion if you are track bound

Deacon

Quick Reply: Lumar vs Xpel wrap