Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 02:07 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts
Default Track video's only.

Maybe this can become a sticky?

As one of the first adopters of the 997.2RS that when to the track a lot and immediately I figured out what worked and what didn't and shared it on Rennlist. With the 997 we had the luxury of stealing a lot of parts of the 997 CUP cars and it was just a small evolution of the .1; CL wheels etc.

A few of you early 991 GT3 adopters went to the track before the engine swaps, and it was not always without problems for some.

Now that the cars are back I'm really looking forward to the track experiences of the track rats and the learning curve

First thing, what are you doing for the basics; seats, roll bar, brake pads and rotors, extra wheels and tires? Maybe even LSD?

Dependable?

How many track days have you done?

Miss a 3 pedal manual or love and completely sold on PDK-S?

Please post video's of your laps here as well

I'm on the GT3(RS) sideline till at least next summer, so have to get to know the car through your adventures. Many thanks.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 10-29-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Maybe this can become a sticky?

As one of the first adopters of the 997.2RS that when to the track a lot and immediately I figured out what worked and what didn't and shared it on Rennlist. With the 997 we had the luxury of stealing a lot of parts of the 997 CUP cars and it was just a small evolution of the .1; CL wheels etc.

A few of you early 991 GT3 adopters went to the track before the engine swaps, and it was not always without problems for some.

Now that the cars are back I'm really looking forward to the track experiences of the track rats and the learning curve

First thing, what are you doing for the basics; seats, roll bar, brake pads and rotors, extra wheels and tires? Maybe even LSD?

Dependable?

How many track days have you done?

Miss a 3 pedal manual or love and completely sold on PDK-S?

Please post video's of your laps here as well

I'm on the GT3(RS) sideline till at least next summer, so have to get to know the car through your adventures. Many thanks.
i like to know the answers too. also RS sideline.

but reter, i have some answer for you

seats: beside obvious ROW buckets, recaro, sparco etc will work. 991 takes same slider as 997, we tried it, fits.

wheels: not sure YET but the CL mechanism is the same as 997. i didnt chk pn, but the socket and nut are the same.

roll bar: ROW, GMG, or custom.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:49 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Has anyone done a 5 lug conversion yet? For me I just won't buy another center lock car. Sitting on the sidelines here too.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:11 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i like to know the answers too. also

wheels: not sure YET but the CL mechanism is the same as 997. i didnt chk pn, but the socket and nut are .
Since I have a set of Forgelines I called them to see if they fit my incoming 991 gt3 and the answer was no t he centerlock hubs are different.

Anyone care to give us more detail?
Old 07-04-2014, 01:04 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

I think it may be size
the socket nut is the same
maybe the conical shale of nut doffefremt...
Old 07-05-2014, 11:59 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

^ Hmmm, I bet it's the same. I imagine someone knows specifically what's different that keeps the wheels from being interchangeable. I image offsets and clearance too are problematic.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:47 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 336 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:32 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Just did 3:36 flat on thunderhill long on my second session ever on this track. I did not know the track at all and just coasted through many blind turns at 50mph, so it's a very conservative time. The car is phenomenal. It's 33 Celsius here, and the oil temp only got to 103 Celsius , so I did not even give it a fair workout. Just amazing.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:34 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Just did 3:36 flat on thunderhill long on my second session ever on this track. I did not know the track at all and just coasted through many blind turns at 50mph, so it's a very conservative time. The car is phenomenal. It's 33 Celsius here, and the oil temp only got to 103 Celsius , so I did not even give it a fair workout. Just amazing.
Awesome, Max. Happy for you. Did you record a video or where you just practicing? If you did, please share.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:37 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Yes, video should be coming soon
Old 07-05-2014, 04:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

More, more!!
Old 07-05-2014, 05:05 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome. My first weekend out in a 991S, I was in the low 3:40s (though I was recovering from being very sick). I suspect I probably could get it down to the mid 3:30s, so I would guess the GT3 should be easily in the 3:20s with some practice on the track. It's a very strange track in the back. The lines are very non-obvious.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:38 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
^ Hmmm, I bet it's the same. I imagine someone knows specifically what's different that keeps the wheels from being interchangeable. I image offsets and clearance too are problematic.
not sure if this is a major difference in the way the wheels are built, but the wheel locating pins bolt to the hub instead of to the brake hat like on 997's
Old 07-05-2014, 11:57 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had mine on track (AMP) 4 times last January. First 3 were for break in and the last I let it rev to redline. My previous best times in my 4.0 were in the 1:29s and in my Viper w/ R6s 1:27s. In the GT3 I ran 1:28s with MPSC2s with relative ease. With R6s the Gt3 would be in the 1:26s. These times, with a stock production car, are near the best set at AMP. I found the car very good especially on turn in and mid corner. The PDK is lightning fast and always right in the auto mode. The car is fantastic. Unfortunately, I gave mine back in April But I'm first on the list at Hennessy for the GT3 RS. Allan
Old 07-06-2014, 01:19 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Ok, here are my summary from the first track day past engine replacement. First, I got several laps in mid 3.33.xx. I'm stocked about it because I'm not good with learning new tracks and have completely forgotten how to drive this car, so I was just hoping to be under 4 minutes.

Unfortunately the 3.33 laps did not make it on video because the ipod I used for video recording overheated after 2-3 laps after two morning sessions. I only have GPS log from external GPS. But I made a bunch of 3.36 vids while ipod still worked (uploading right now). Best theoretical lap 3.32.0, and that's just with 4 sections. I'll try to split it up by turn to get the best possible theoretical, just to get my inconsistency out of the picture.

It was a very hot day with a lot of sand on the track. But the car performed like a champ.

Some impressions:
Coolant and oil stayed cool despite high heat (it got to 99.5F in the shade). Oil got to 239 once but got down to 225 before I got to pits with barely any cooldown. I was not gunning it all the way, but the car has seen redline a few times.

Brakes with stock pads and fluid were rock-solid at the track and no change in feel or stopping power but the pedal got a just bit softer then the car parked. It has happened before. It does not bother me, but interesting.

Tires wore very evenly. I was wearing outsides before but this time I tried more camber at the front (2.7) and a bit more pressure (30 and 34 hot), and the wear was great. Car shakes a bit side to side under heavy breaking. I had similar feel on my M3 when running PSS tires, so I think it might be PSC2 tires (similar dual-compound structure as PSS).

The track suspension setting now does not change steering feel (I swear, it used to!). Now steering wheel has tiny road vibrations always, not just in stiff suspension mode.

I drove in auto most of the time to focus on the line - many turns still surprised me. I found one issue with it - when I coasted at partial trottle a bit, it lowered shift points and would not downshift, running the engine at 4-5K RPM. It's great when pushed though.

Manual shifting is difficult on a new track because gears are very close and red line comes very quickly. I could have used shift lights.

The sound is unbelievable. Many people stopped by just to compliment it.

With higher camber at the front, it oversteers like crazy when coasting off throttle. Maintenance throttle is absolutely required. In fact, I can see a clear case for left foot braking to avoid even a moment of coasting in high-speed corners.

Very happy with the car

Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.