Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back up camera

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

It'll work. Have faith. Show us the final product.

How'd you find someone to do it? Where did the adapter come from? Is that the camera lens above the license plate? If so, where did that come from?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:14 PM
mhh
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Will post results tonight, whether working or not. Sorry for the sideway orientation.
Thanks for posting. I still want to try for the OE camera from other 991 models which is lower profile than the one you are using.
Attached Images   
Old 03-28-2014, 06:33 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Why is the camera located?
Just above the plate frame.

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
It'll work. Have faith. Show us the final product.

How'd you find someone to do it? Where did the adapter come from? Is that the camera lens above the license plate? If so, where did that come from?

Inquiring minds want to know.
The Steele Shop locally, does all sorts of things and is the go to place for Ferrari and Porsche.
Here is the link to the camera

http://www.rydeenmobile.com/Backup%2...upCameras.html

Here is the link to the kit website
http://navtv.com/product/260/rgb-pcm3-1-kit.html

Originally Posted by mhh
Thanks for posting. I still want to try for the OE camera from other 991 models which is lower profile than the one you are using.
Won't work.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:38 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the new Cayman GTS it shows up as an option and not standard. I thought that was a 2015 model on the configuration?
Old 03-28-2014, 07:07 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Just above the plate frame.

The Steele Shop locally, does all sorts of things and is the go to place for Ferrari and Porsche.
Here is the link to the camera

http://www.rydeenmobile.com/Backup%2...upCameras.html

Here is the link to the kit website

Won't work.
Here's the actual kit:
Old 03-28-2014, 09:31 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Default The final product

Installed, not very obvious from a distance. I was going to paint it white then realized my license plate is black so it was best to leave as is. The Hi-def version is the way to go, IMO. Everything working as it should.
Attached Images   
Old 03-28-2014, 09:41 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Awesome, Sam!

One question - you mentioned retrofitting the Turbo's rear view camera wouldn't work. Would you please elaborate on what the issues were that didn't allow it to work?

I have the factory camera on my 2014 Turbo S and would love to have a camera on my 991 GT3 if/when I ever get it.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:48 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by jfr0317
Awesome, Sam!

One question - you mentioned retrofitting the Turbo's rear view camera wouldn't work. Would you please elaborate on what the issues were that didn't allow it to work?

I have the factory camera on my 2014 Turbo S and would love to have a camera on my 991 GT3 if/when I ever get it.

Thanks.
John,
This is what I was told by the dealership because the OEM camera can not fit into the electric harness that connects to the radio. The more I think about it, the less it makes sense. I suspect one can cut the wires and hook it up to the kit I had installed. That said, and considering how low profile the OEM camera is, I don't know if installing it requires cutting a square hole in the bumper or what. Mine is attached by 3M tape and two small screws. I had them reinforce the screws from inside the bumper, so they wouldn't loosed with track use. I hope I was told wrong but the tech and parts guys seemed adamant.
Sam
Old 03-28-2014, 09:53 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

John,
This is what I was told by the dealership because the OEM camera can not fit into the electric harness that connects to the radio. The more I think about it, the less it makes sense. I suspect one can cut the wires and hook it up to the kit I had installed. That said, and considering how low profile the OEM camera is, I don't know if installing it requires cutting a square hole in the bumper or what. Mine is attached by 3M tape and two small screws. I had them reinforce the screws from inside the bumper, so they wouldn't loosed with track use. I hope I was told wrong but the tech and parts guys seemed adamant.
Sam
Thanks, Sam!

One more question - does the Nav-TV after-market camera show "path-guiding lines" that show on the display to indicate the path the car will take based on current steering wheel position? The factory cams on our Cayenne S and Turbo S have such a feature.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:02 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by jfr0317
Thanks, Sam!

One more question - does the Nav-TV after-market camera show "path-guiding lines" that show on the display to indicate the path the car will take based on current steering wheel position? The factory cams on our Cayenne S and Turbo S have such a feature.
Yes, this is an option in the camera. You must decide to engage it or not when you install because the way you set it is by either connecting certain wires or not, inside the bumper. I elected not to show them because unlike your cars, this one is a "one size fits all" and I didn't think the guide lines would be accurate.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

That looks great Sam. I think you were smart to leave the camera painted black. Unless you're looking at it from ground level like in the camera shot, you'll hardly ever notice it. The display is very clear; does it engage automatically when you shift into reverse or do you have to select it manually?
BTW, love the red Nurburgring decal on your bumper and the matching painted GT3 emblem....
Old 03-28-2014, 10:05 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Yes, this is an option in the camera. You must decide to engage it or not when you install because the way you set it is by either connecting certain wires or not, inside the bumper. I elected not to show them because unlike your cars, this one is a "one size fits all" and I didn't think the guide lines would be accurate.
Thanks again, Sam! Sharing good info like this makes this forum great (and worth sifting through most of the other "stuff").
Old 03-28-2014, 11:20 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Sam, does only come on when in reverse, or can you activate it at any time?
Old 03-28-2014, 11:31 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Thank you guys for your kind words. It engages automatically as you put the car in revers because it gets its power from the same wire that sends the signal to the reverse lights. There is no button to activate it at any time. That said, I did read somewhere (?online) that it can be configured to come up on demand. Don't know for sure.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:41 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I hope P adds the back-up camera to the 2015 GT3 option list...

Nice work Sam....

Quick Reply: Back up camera