991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Old 03-16-2014, 11:53 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Feels like the night before christmas. Everybody waiting for Santa.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:00 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Dear Santa,

Please, sir, no lump of coal.

Thank you,
Tim
Old 03-17-2014, 12:30 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Hope Santa's sleigh is not leaking oil and catching fire before arrival
Old 03-17-2014, 12:32 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
This video has been therapeutic through all this.... I've probably watched it 15 times when I felt the cloud of doubt hanging over me.
2014 Porsche 911 GT3 tested - YouTube
Yea.. Good one. Thx for posting.. Watched it again too. This British Chap loves the car..
Old 03-17-2014, 12:35 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Thanks for posting ,had seen it some time ago,
Refreshingly outstanding !!!
a salesman at WPB P store today stated announcement 9am Monday , just sharing info here , I am not
claiming facts FWIW
Sweet.. and it looks like SFLA time. 9 am
will be 8 am here. LOL..
Old 03-17-2014, 12:38 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Feels like the night before christmas. Everybody waiting for Santa.
Originally Posted by 0Q991
Dear Santa,

Please, sir, no lump of coal.

Thank you,
Tim
I'm getting up early to play golf tomorrow so will probably be on the course when the announcement breaks. I'm hoping you guys will have this thing all settled by the time I get home!
Old 03-17-2014, 12:46 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm getting up early to play golf tomorrow so will probably be on the course when the announcement breaks. I'm hoping you guys will have this thing all settled by the time I get home!
No worries Mike. Have fun and we will make sure no bad news by the time you get back on line. We will watch your back as long as you let them work on our undelivered poor car sitting under the sun 1st NOT gonna happen, ha? LOL.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:53 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

sunnyr, we can probably invent scenarios and debate this back and forth forever, and knowing the forum we probably will.
Fair point, can't argue with that . Anyway, GL to you Mike and all the other 991 GT3 owners/future owners (which might include myself some time in some distant future) for tomorrow's announcement. As the saying goes, all's well that ends well.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:54 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Have a good round. I am getting up early to go to the dump. Not as exciting.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:57 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember that post and the comments that followed, fbirch. No factual information was ever provided as a follow-up and the poster did disappear. Maybe we scared him away.

I was told that this current issue had not surfaced at any point in the testing and I believe my source. You can take it with a grain of salt. But more to the point, if such an event actually happened in the hands of journalists testing the car as the poster claimed, why did nothing from those alleged journalists ever appear in print or leak out anywhere else except from one guy on an internet forum? That was the question at the time and it's still a valid one, IMHO.

Rumors and reports have sprung up about various disasters with the valve train, con rods, bearings, PDK-S, RWS, oil coolers, brackets, what have you. If you throw enough stuff against the wall, something might even stick. The notion that Porsche knew there was a specific problem in advance, put the engine into production anyway, and then spent over a month pretending to investigate the known failure to fool the public while getting chewed up in the press and social media is tin-hat conspiracy theory stuff.
I’ve been involved in product development and commercialization for many years. I’ve had products undergo significant amounts of engineering testing, passed with flying colors, yet showed problems early on when released to customers, and the initial assessment of those failures turned out to be wrong. It doesn’t take any dark conspiracy theories to understand how that can happen.

Test prototypes are rarely built with the exact same processes, tooling, people and parts supply chain as the final production units. It’s entirely possible that Porsche had great confidence based on extensive in-house testing, so when one or two early prototypes showed some flaw that was inconsistent with all prior testing Porsche chalked it up to ham fisted driving, a statistical outlier, or any one of a million factors they believed would not be applicable to regular production units. Then when the problem reappeared they realized their initial assessment was wrong and instituted this stop sale. No one is suggesting any corporate conspiracies, just the kind of stuff that happens in the real world, even to companies with the best of intentions.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:58 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Enjoy! Hoping for a good round for you and some positive news for all of us.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:07 AM
mhh
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Why are people thinking this deadline will be met when others haven't been, and that there will suddenly be new information released when we were told on Friday that they are still testing possible solutions? I must have missed something...
Old 03-17-2014, 01:15 AM
Mercel
Advanced

Originally Posted by fbirch
I’ve been involved in product development and commercialization for many years. I’ve had products undergo significant amounts of engineering testing, passed with flying colors, yet showed problems early on when released to customers, and the initial assessment of those failures turned out to be wrong. It doesn’t take any dark conspiracy theories to understand how that can happen.

Test prototypes are rarely built with the exact same processes, tooling, people and parts supply chain as the final production units. It’s entirely possible that Porsche had great confidence based on extensive in-house testing, so when one or two early prototypes showed some flaw that was inconsistent with all prior testing Porsche chalked it up to ham fisted driving, a statistical outlier, or any one of a million factors they believed would not be applicable to regular production units. Then when the problem reappeared they realized their initial assessment was wrong and instituted this stop sale. No one is suggesting any corporate conspiracies, just the kind of stuff that happens in the real world, even to companies with the best of intentions.
Well said. I agree.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:19 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by A432
Drop the pan?
Douche
Old 03-17-2014, 01:20 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mhh
Why are people thinking this deadline will be met when others haven't been, and that there will suddenly be new information released when we were told on Friday that they are still testing possible solutions? I must have missed something...
Look back......crystal ball

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stop Sale?