Sponsored by:

On track. My review and video.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 03:32 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default On track. My review and video.

OK, so finally figured what my uploading issue is. The video is now on Vimeo (link below). I did not own a GT3 before so I don't have a good reference. I have extensively tracked a 991 C4S and for the last two months, my 991TTS.

I would like to start my review by commenting on two points in the 6speed forum review. I totally disagree with roughness the last 500 RPM. Smooth all the way through and highly enjoyable (can use more decibels, actually). Compared to the 991 C4S and TTS, this car understeers LESS than both of them and I did not experience corner entry understeer except once and that was because I entered that corner too hot (seen in the video).

The car is incredibly balanced. If pushed, it will understeer a little rather than oversteer and that is likely due to the generic alignment on it. Negative camber was at -1.30 front and rear, and I already adjusted mine. While it does not have the low end torque of the TTS, you do not feel low on power as long you are in the correct gear. Tire grip is incredible (sorry, never tried the SC before so can't tell if the SC2 are better. I only drove street tires like PSS or PZeros before and the upgrade is very welcome). I drove two sessions, with the second one consisting of two warm up laps and the remainder of the 30 minute session at my full ability. It was in the 40s but the tires did not get greasy until the last two laps, much better than street tires which would only give me 2-3 good laps before getting greasy.

When driving with PDK-S (I always do, track or street), the shifts will propel you forward if you shift close to 9,000 RPM. Below that, the shifts are imperceptible. Linear fast but if you are deaf, you won't know the car shifted gears. Excellent. When in auto mode PDK-S, it will shift at exactly 9,000 and I did not perceive the propelling action. If you are trying to set lap records, auto is the way to go. Almost impossible to get it always at 9,000 and one would either shift a couple of hairs below or worse yet, go into cutoff zone. Lap times. Slight problem with data. After getting everything ready, including charging my AIM solo, I forgot it on the charger so I borrowed a beacon from the club. Got lap times but no data This was a short track so the differences in lap times are not huge. For those who know it, the video is of Motorsports Ranch, 1.7 miles running clockwise. In the C4S my best time was 1:25:51. In the TTS it was 1:22:98. In the GT3 it was 1:23:41. I am 100% certain I can beat the TTS next time for several reasons. First, track was very cold and traction poor. The TTS time was in optimal 64 degrees. Second, the TTS time was with its alignment adjusted. Third, this was first day on the track with the GT3 and it was only 5 days old and I didn't want to take it off track. Finally, this was first day with R-ish compound tires and I don't think I had the right pressures in them.

Out of the three 991 cars I tracked, this is my absolute favorite. Unfortunately, the highs are in the upper 30s today so I couldn't experience alignment adjustment help. Can't wait for the Sharkwerks bypass.

On the street, I frequently drove the TTS and C4S in auto. I don't see it as a flaw but the GT3 is terrible in auto mode on the street. I tried it this am (coffee in right hand), and hit 7th gear by 50 mph. It feels like the engine will lug in that mode. Since the PDK lever now shifts in the correct directions, this is what I use in the street. I prefer it to the paddles. I think those who are worried about the lack of engagement will like this better as well.

Here is a long (17 minute video). The first two laps were warm up laps and I shifted manually at 7,000 +/- RPM. I then put it in auto for its maiden track day at full howl. The sound quality is not good due to turbulence from open windows, so turn the volume all the way up. Some sections later in the video have better sound than others. What a car!!

Old 01-05-2014, 03:56 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Sam,

Great feedback.

How was the tire wear? Other review suggested the MPSC2 wouldn't even make it through a two day track weekend.

Ryan
Old 01-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Zero911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice!!!

From the video it looks like they finally got the shift direction correct on the GT3? I always hated that it was forward to upshift and back to downshift on the older PDKs. Looks like in the video they have it correct now with forward to downshift and backward to upshift. Yes!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:06 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Sweet!! Thanks for posting!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:08 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome – the 1st North American customer GT3 track video! Nice driving, Sam. I will be very interested to see how the increased negative camber works for you on your next outing. Some trial & error will likely be involved getting the numbers right, considering the new chassis & RWS. Keep us posted.

Also very interested about on-track tire-wear. Thanks for posting!!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:09 PM
llstuey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome video. Looks like a blast. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Much appreciated! How did you feel about on-track support of the stock seats?
Old 01-05-2014, 04:24 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:30 PM
Checkmate
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Great Video Sam!

Considering the turbulent noise, let me suggest a good fix.

First off, get the Audio Technica 3350 (Has a 20Ft cable). Simply, hook the cable to your camera and wire through your to trunk and tape the mic to your rear bumper (get as close as you can to the exhaust). Tape the wire using painters tape so that its secure.

This way-the only audio is that of your exhaust (which is probably what you want). Here's an example of good it can sound.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=419463
Old 01-05-2014, 04:39 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Thanks guys. The tires showed a lot of wear (for one hot session) on the outer half, and hence the extra negative camber. I agree that if the weather was warmer and if I spent a whole day, it is possible one day can do them in. Will have to want and see what happens with the adjustment. Not changing anything on the back except for camber because of RWS, since no one really knows what to do with alignment on the back yet.
Mike, the seats are just OK but I always feel my lower back muscles getting a heck of a workout. I inflate the bolsters to max, then tighten the seatbelt via a technique I learnt from my coach. Since the seatbelt would not tighten like the passenger side's (or rears' in other cars), for example to hold a car seat in place, I do the following: I take my seat all the way to the back and recline the back a lot. I then pull on the seat belt as tightly as I can get it. Then, I give it a firm tug (to lock the mechanism) and maintain pulling pressure. With that, I move the seat and backrest forward until it is almost uncomfortably tight. This will prevent it from retracting while driving and significantly reduces your body moving around. Not like a bucket but kinda close.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:45 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Great Video Sam!

Considering the turbulent noise, let me suggest a good fix.

First off, get the Audio Technica 3350 (Has a 20Ft cable). Simply, hook the cable to your camera and wire through your to trunk and tape the mic to your rear bumper (get as close as you can to the exhaust). Tape the wire using painters tape so that its secure.

This way-the only audio is that of your exhaust (which is probably what you want). Here's an example of good it can sound.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=419463
This is so awesome. I use a go pro Hero 3. The adapter on the Audio Technica looks like it may not work for the GoPro, do you know if there is a fix?
Old 01-05-2014, 04:51 PM
green
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the vid and feedback!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:01 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Congrads for the car and thanks for the vid and the commentary! Well done. I was hoping the sport mirrors would cure the window down buffeting, but apparently it is the same as with the regular 991 mirrors. Bummer/at least I won't have to pay the Porsche tax to replace mine.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Never had a 991. Is there annoying buffeting with windows down all the time? That would **** me off.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe RWD>4WD on the track? You think?

Quick Reply: On track. My review and video.