Sponsored by:

oCarbon.com - 991 carbon fiber interior trim - introductory pricing

Old 06-10-2013, 11:34 AM
oCarbon
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oCarbon.com - 991 carbon fiber interior trim - introductory pricing

Hey guys,

My name is Matt and I'm the owner of oCarbon. We've been hand making real carbon fiber interior trim sets for high end European vehicles for the last 9 years (mostly Audis and BMWs) and are now looking to offer our services to Porsche owners.

We need to find a few 991 owners who'd like to be the first to have our carbon fiber interior trim made for their vehicles. We're able to a significant discount to the first few who take the plunge.

These sets would be made using actual carbon fiber, epoxy, and clearcoat (no fake vinyl or stickers or anything else of that nature) wrapped over an OEM set of trim for a perfect OEM fit. Different fabric weaves and colors are available for a more custom look.

Intro pricing: $800 + a core deposit
Core deposit: $450 - this is the replacement cost of the original trim. After you've installed the carbon fiber trim, you can either keep your original trim and forfeit the deposit or return your original trim and have the deposit refunded in full.
Shipping: free to the US, $25-50 to Canada, $65 international

Interested? Shoot an email to matt@ocarbon.com with your full vehicle info (model, year, auto/manual) along with what you'd be interested in. If you've got good photography skills and are willing to help us with installed pictures and/or an install guide, this would be appreciated as well.

Check out some of the vehicles we've done in our gallery: http://ocarbon.com/gallery

See some of the more custom pieces we've done in our blog: http://ocarbon.com/blog

Few pictures of our first 991 set:

A few comparison shots between our trim and the OEM trim. Our trim is done in an 2x2 twill fabric, the OEM is done in a 1x1 fabric:

Frequently asked questions

Q: Can you give me a little more info about the process?

A: Sure. We would take the original trim, remove excess material, wrap it with real carbon fiber, coat it with epoxy, sand it smooth, spray it with clearcoat, and buff it to a shine. The whole process takes about 3-4 weeks, and we'd send the newly made trim to you.

Q: So you won't be making molded pieces?

A: Nope. We've found that molded interior trim pieces never really fit right and they don't look as good as overlaid parts. Using an original OEM piece as a base means all the OEM tabs for a perfect fit.

Q: What about the added carbon? Won't that make the pieces bigger?

A: No. We sand down the original cores to make room for the extra carbon fiber and epoxy. We rarely have any fit issues with pieces, and we guarantee fitment, so if for some reason something doesn't fit quite right, we'll fix it until it does.

Q: Where are these pieces made? I'm worried about quality from overseas companies.

A: Everything is made in house in our facility in Glendale, AZ. We control the process from start to finish. It costs more, but the end quality is much, much higher.

Q: Speaking of quality, can you give me more info about the materials you use?

A: Most companies use a cheap 5.7oz 2x2 twill fabric for their parts. This fabric has gaps in the weave and can be susceptible to weave distortion around complex corners. We only use name brand (mostly Japanese based Toray) 11oz 2x2 twill, that has a much thicker and tighter weave. Again, it costs more, but it makes a huge difference in how the end product works. We also use only the highest end epoxies that have UV inhibitors to prohibit fading and yellowing. We finish the pieces in high-solids polyurethane clearcoat for a deep, glossy shine.

Q: What about a warranty?

A: We offer a full, one year warranty on every product we sell, even these development products.

Q: Custom fabrics?

A:
Yup. If we can order it, we can make parts with it. Silver carbon fiber is pretty popular, as are red or blue carbon kevlar. There are also quite a few custom black fabric weaves available as well.

Q: Can you make other interior parts? Exterior parts?

A: Probably. We're focusing on interior trim parts for now, and might be open to simple overlaid exterior parts. Email us if you'd like a quote.

Q: You didn't answer a question I had.

A:
Shoot an email to matt@ocarbon.com and I'll do my best to help you.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oCarbon

Intro pricing: $800 + a core deposit
Core deposit: $450 - this is the replacement cost of the original trim. After you've installed the carbon fiber trim, you can either keep your original trim and forfeit the deposit or return your original trim and have the deposit refunded in full.
Shipping: free to the US, $25-50 to Canada, $65 international

A: Sure. We would take the original trim, remove excess material, wrap it with real carbon fiber, coat it with epoxy, sand it smooth, spray it with clearcoat, and buff it to a shine. The whole process takes about 3-4 weeks, and we'd send the newly made trim to you.

Q: So you won't be making molded pieces?

A: Nope. We've found that molded interior trim pieces never really fit right and they don't look as good as overlaid parts. Using an original OEM piece as a base means all the OEM tabs for a perfect fit.
When do you expect to get into 3D scan and print! It would halve your prices and negate the whole "remove excess" labor, plus give customers their original parts to revert the car to stock for resale, etc.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:56 PM
oCarbon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
When do you expect to get into 3D scan and print! It would halve your prices and negate the whole "remove excess" labor, plus give customers their original parts to revert the car to stock for resale, etc.
Unfortunately 3D printed parts are more for prototyping. The test samples of 3D printed parts I've received are not sturdy enough for the carbon fiber manufacturing process and start to degrade rather quickly. It's still too new of a technology to be used the way we'd like to. At this time, have to use injection molded plastic, which is very expensive to manufacture in low quantities, so we have to stick with using OEM cores.

You're more than welcome to keep your original trim, but then you'd forfeit the core deposit
Old 06-20-2013, 01:10 PM
oCarbon
Former Vendor

Still looking for a few more people who'd like to have some carbon fiber interior trim made for their 991. I'm not sure how much longer I can offer this introductory pricing, so email me at matt@ocarbon.com if you're interested.
The following users liked this post:
Redsoxwin (01-08-2020)
Old 06-20-2013, 03:16 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

... I'm not sure how much longer I can offer this introductory pricing, so email me at matt@ocarbon.com if you're interested.
Seeing that you are posting in the 991 GT3 forum and these cars won't be rolling off the assembly line for several months, you will have to wait longer.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:08 PM
oCarbon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by alpine-al
Seeing that you are posting in the 991 GT3 forum and these cars won't be rolling off the assembly line for several months, you will have to wait longer.
We've had a few GT3 owners order a set so their trim will be ready when their car arrives.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:33 PM
oCarbon
Former Vendor

We just got started on our first custom colored set, its turning out really nice. Epoxy will be going down on these pieces shortly. Email me at matt@ocarbon.com if you're interested in having a set made.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:43 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

We've had a few GT3 owners order a set so their trim will be ready when their car arrives.
Five months in advance?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Five months in advance?
The bling factor is strong with this new GT3. Looking forward to the first +2 wheel/tire package.....
Old 07-10-2013, 11:55 AM
oCarbon
Former Vendor

Progress on the red 991 set. Once the epoxy is cured, we'll trim off the excess and sand them smooth and get them ready for clearcoat.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:58 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good job, Matt.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:36 PM
oCarbon
Former Vendor

This red set is nearly done. Still looking for more people to get a custom set made in other fabrics, or even just the standard black fabric.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:18 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

[QUOTE=oCarbon;10651846]This red set is nearly done. Still looking for more people to get a custom set made in other fabrics, or even just the standard black fabric.

Matt,
Sorry to use this venue to contact you but you have not responded to my emails and your phone number is "no longer in service". I also want others on the forum to be aware of this. As you know, I sent you my deposit months ago, then I sent you the core that surrounds the gear shifter. As of yet, I have not received my finished product from you. I do not want to jump to any conclusions yet and wanted to give you the benefit of doubt before I proceed further. Please let me know if you intend to send me my parts or not. Thanks.
Sam
Old 09-04-2013, 12:05 PM
oCarbon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Matt,
Sorry to use this venue to contact you but you have not responded to my emails and your phone number is "no longer in service". I also want others on the forum to be aware of this. As you know, I sent you my deposit months ago, then I sent you the core that surrounds the gear shifter. As of yet, I have not received my finished product from you. I do not want to jump to any conclusions yet and wanted to give you the benefit of doubt before I proceed further. Please let me know if you intend to send me my parts or not. Thanks.
Sam
Hi Sam,

Apologies about the phone, it seems as though our voicemail got full over the holiday weekend, so that should be sorted now. Looks like the only email I have from you was over the holiday weekend as well, which I was still catching up on this morning.

As you know, the majority of your set has been done for quite some time, and I offered to ship it to you then, but you declined. The shifter core being on backorder is what delayed your order. We're almost finished with that piece.

I'm going to go ahead and ship out the majority of your order today, that way you can at least see the parts and know that we aren't trying to rip you off or anything of that nature.

Sorry again about the miscommunication over the holiday weekend. Feel free to email me if you have any additional questions.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:57 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Thanks for your response. You may want to check your phone
(623.239.1500) because it still says "it is disconnected or no longer in service".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oCarbon.com - 991 carbon fiber interior trim - introductory pricing