Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks terrible...

Old 05-27-2013, 01:34 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
Looks terrible...

it does, sounds pitiful, shifts automatically. is heavier and will be worth less than $50k in 12 months...
Old 05-27-2013, 01:40 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it looks pretty good, I'll take three for 50k in 12 mos!
That mid corner shift was pretty funky.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Yeah, I bet driving that thing isn't fun or involving at all......not.
Sign me up....wait.....I already am.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:03 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No body roll there.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:24 PM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said, Mike! Watching the clip makes it blindingly obvious: the GT3 has gone soft... NOT!

Awesome sound... I'm already curious to wait and hear if the Akrapovic guys can make this even better with their titanium exhausts!

Another 100-ish days waiting remaining. Am counting down... can't wait!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Jesus! That thing corners incredibly flat and seems to beable to change direction very quickly. Flat shifting in corners without loosing speed is pretty neat stuff too. I like the sound.

Im biased but the more I hear and see this car the more I think it will be like the BMW 1M. All gone by the time everyone figures out how good it is!

Many on this board have questioned how the PDK-S will allow novices to lap quicker than they rightfully should. Im not a novice. I look at that car and imagine how much faster its going to make me choosing the right lines and breaking points!

Bring it on! 180 days+ and waiting!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:24 AM
tmg57
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
Jesus! That thing corners incredibly flat and seems to beable to change direction very quickly. Flat shifting in corners without loosing speed is pretty neat stuff too. I like the sound.

Im biased but the more I hear and see this car the more I think it will be like the BMW 1M. All gone by the time everyone figures out how good it is!

Many on this board have questioned how the PDK-S will allow novices to lap quicker than they rightfully should. Im not a novice. I look at that car and imagine how much faster its going to make me choosing the right lines and breaking points!

Bring it on! 180 days+ and waiting!
Good point. PDK-S will probably make anyone faster than they would be with a manual. Ultimately, racers will do anything to gain time (if you ain't cheatin',you ain't tryin').

It's understandable that some people would prefer to stay with the MT, but I suspect that they may reconsider after being passed by someone they perceive to be less skilled.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:26 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gone soft, not sure where these comments came from. Geesh, PAG is on record stating that the spring rates are stiffer than the last GT, and that PDCC is not an option on the GT3 b/c it's not needed due to virtual elimination of body roll.

The videos tend to show that IMO.

But it's ugly, sounds terrible, and removes the driver from the equation. Those sitting on the fence should withdraw their places in line leaving the cool-aid drinkers in their own world.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:14 PM
TomTom77
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
I hope you're right on that front! Sure, I'm biased too, but if the GT3 is as much fun as my beloved 1M (which I bought impulsively after Porsche screwed me over with the RS 4.0 allocation) but with (a lot) more speed and sound (even without the Akrapovic, that is), I'm a very happy camper...

... and directly start wondering whether the 458 'Scuderia' will be capable of pushing any of these 2 out of my garage early 2014?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:13 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i wonder if there's been any CL failures?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Was there a driver in the car, or was it set to auto Ring setting?

Carry on, kidding aside the driver looked like he was pushing hard on an ideal day. Going for a lap?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is the official word on the new CL from Porsche.

I think its probably safe now to say that I have a friend who has been doing some consulting at the Ring late last year and seen the new GT3 being put through its paces and had a few discussions with test drivers and the like. The verdict without given too much away was that the car was incredibly quick, to the point whereby the first spirited test lap had everyone wondering what was coming next. Stability with the RWS at speed is impressive beyond expectation. The car can turn in flat without upsetting traction and the box was declared by all to be a revelation a it can put down every bit of power almost instantaneously. The big surprise was how fun it is apparently to drive. The clutch decoupling can allow for the rear attack angle to be adjusted quickly when confidence has built in the system and although not making for the fastest lap adds alot of fun and drama to the exercise. In short according to my research the new GT3 is an absolute weapon in the hands of those who can drive confidently and has also proven in testing to be reliable in regards to CL & RWS as far as is known.

Im assuming these test drivers (some of them contractors) are not in the game of putting their lives on the line running 7.20s Ring lap times without some confidence in the reliability of the machinery they are driving. If any of them thought there was a fair chance the wheels would come off they wouldn't get into the car in the first place. Most of the mules were uncaged and the drivers without safety gear. Any accident on a sub 7.30 ring from my experience is likely to take place between 120-270 kmph and not end peacefully!

Before I get stoned with "but of course he says that as hes buying one" let me just say - I don't care what anyone else thinks. Ive done as much of my own research as is possible on this car talking to those that have had some direct experience where I can (not easy!) and also accumulating many, many of pages of documentation from the factory on the car (alot of it technical and marketing sales briefs etc). Suffice to say "shut up and drive it" is really the only thing left to say. As I cant do that myself I'm left to gleen as much from people and sources that have.

Im happy to put my neck out and say that this car when it "breaks cover" will either leave those who have not ordered very dissapointed they did not get themselves on the wait list or alternatively will be an utter flop. Obviously Im hoping the former not latter but if the latter then the missus has a new daily driver LOL!

Last edited by Macca; 05-31-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 'Ring Video