Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTS window opens on MY2017 .2 991...& cost goes to $6,950!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 05:54 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

I am about to receive a custom ordered 2016 'Nardo Gray' RS7.
Fortunately for me, 'Nardo Gray' (a solid/uni color) is a no cost
option - but only on the RS7. So I couldn't pass up the opportunity
to get that stunning color for....free. So I am very grateful for that!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Eduardo,

Did you ever find out if Porsche would allow a Nardo Grey PTS, even though it's not on the official list? Porsche has approved other colors that weren't on the list, and Nardo Grey is a VAG color, so I'd be hopeful.

Failing that, what would you say is the closest PTS-approved equivalent? Sport Classic Grey?

Cheers.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:21 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 'Nardo Gray' vs 'Sport Classic or Fashion Grey'...

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
Eduardo,

Did you ever find out if Porsche would allow a Nardo Grey PTS,
even though it's not on the official list? Porsche has approved
other colors that weren't on the list, and Nardo Grey is a VAG
color, so I'd be hopeful.

Failing that, what would you say is the closest PTS-approved
equivalent? Sport Classic Grey?

Cheers.
No, I have personally not asked the question. 'Nardo Gray'
is not currently on the PTS list...so neither approved or under
feasibility study.

I would hope 'Nardo Gray' is darker than 'Sport Classic Grey'.
It might even be darker that 'Modegrau/Fashion Grey'. That
one I will have a better at a face to face comp after I get the
RS7 since 'Modegrau' has become quite popular as a Porsche
PTS color!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 02-17-2016, 09:15 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Good read on PTS in the new Pano on page 6.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:07 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Good read on PTS in the new Pano on page 6.
Alan: Maybe you could be kind enough to copy or photograph what it
says on page 6 of the current Pano & posted it for all to see. Thanks.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 02-18-2016, 12:21 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Eduardo,

Happy to do it for you.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
PTS.pdf (834.7 KB, 243 views)
Old 02-18-2016, 12:45 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Eduardo,

Happy to do it for you.
Thanks Alan. Looks like Pete has been busy reading
our posts on PTS here at Rennlist.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 02-18-2016, 12:51 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Eduardo,
I agree.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:26 AM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, to have a Rubystone Red 991 GT3 RS!!

but then, I never thought I would even get an allocation for a RS to start with...and I am thankful...
Old 02-18-2016, 02:06 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

I would imagine Porsche is leaving a significant amount of money on the table with their current process. Hopefully it will change for the better, as they make this realization.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:14 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Happy to do it for you.
Thanks. I enjoyed reading that and think Mr. Stout's suggestion (credit also to others who have voiced the same thought) is a good one. I imagine quite a few customers would gladly pick from an expanded and always available palette of past and popular colours. I'm glad he felt this topic was of sufficient importance and of deep enough interest to the readership to warrant this nicely written editorial.

Only a few nit picky comments. Neither signal orange nor RS orange are presently available; so customers pining for the former sadly cannot even settle for the latter. Similarly club Blau is not now available. Nor tangerine (so I doubt this particular paint colour would have made up a large portion of PTS allocations--and I doubt it was in the more distant past either).

This article seems to suggest someone knows a little more to the story of how voodoo was requested (although maybe I'm reading too much into this)--that would be an interesting sidebar!

Finally while we're on signal orange, I'm hoping to see the revival of this wonderful colour--and it seems from my reading of the article that I may not be the only one. I have been in touch with Exclusive and they are kindly brokering the arrangements to try to accomplish exactly that (even though the PTS program is not one they run per se). Last I heard a couple weeks ago the painted sample of signal orange (116) that I had prepared and sent to Exclusive in January will be forwarded to the factory for testing. I will be happy to report any progress during the next few months and what my experience with requesting a "new" colour not presently on the PTS list is like! I'm quite interested and excited to see how this unfolds. Fingers crossed!

Here my signal orange sample can be seen to be much yellower and lighter than 997 RS "Orange" on the wheel.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:34 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by lessthan3mph
I enjoyed reading that and think Mr. Stout's suggestion (credit also to others who have voiced the same thought) is a good one. I imagine quite a few customers would gladly pick from an expanded and always available palette of past and popular colours. I'm glad he felt this topic was of sufficient importance and of deep enough interest to the readership to warrant this nicely written editorial.
Thanks, and I did feel it is, as I have a number of friends who have been jubilant and disappointed in their quest for a PTS car. I've been interested in custom colored Porsches (and cars...) for as long as I can remember, and far more so since the time I started writing about Porsches as a freelancer in 1994~.

Please do (!) point me to any media and/or posts that expressed the very same thought (expand color palette and do heritage colors). While I've followed some of the PTS threads with interest, I did not see that idea—which is not to say it didn't happen. I certainly would have preferred to give credit in that case, and I definitely figured the column would be discussed here—I was thinking of Eduardo as I wrote it, but wanted it to stand on its own so there is no "collusion."

Only a few nit picky comments. Neither signal orange nor RS orange are presently available; so customers pining for the former sadly cannot even settle for the latter. Similarly club Blau is not now available. Nor tangerine (so I doubt this particular paint colour would have made up a large portion of PTS allocations--and I doubt it was in the more distant past either).
Fair nit picks, for sure. Was surprised to see RS Orange no longer feasible; hear Club Blau will eventually be available for PTS, but I hear a lot of things. Was using both as mere examples of what someone looking for one bright orange or blue might be willing to "settle" for if a roughly similar shade were available. In other words: If I want Tangerine or Signal, I suspect I might be just fine with RS Orange if it meant an easy order and $3k vs $7k. Ditto for Acid instead of Mexico, or RS Green instead of Viper.

This article seems to suggest someone knows a little more to the story of how voodoo was requested (although maybe I'm reading too much into this)--that would be an interesting sidebar!
You're reading too much into it, as I didn't learn very much more. Was speaking with someone pretty high within Porsche and clearly the conversation had come up internally about Voodoo's popularity—and he asked me where it came from. He was totally baffled. I have to say it really is a nice blue, as those kinds of blues go. I personally prefer it to the lighter Riviera, and maybe even Mexico and Acid. I'd have to see it next to them to know for sure!

And yes, I'd love to see Signal Orange make a return. In fact, all of the "Signal" colors were great...

Finally, I'm supposed to request that the pdf posted here be taken down. I don't enjoy that, but PCA does need to protect its copyright. Thanks...
Old 02-21-2016, 12:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

to make it simpler for pag and buyers. pts $50k
then you will REALLY think if you need the color
and for 50k, pag should paint whatever buyer want.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:44 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Pete, I hope you continue to do articles and editorials about PTS and the many fascinating and especially historic colours that have been offered. There is lots of interest in them, and I for one would be more than happy if guys like Eduardo were able to "collude" with you on topics like this. I understand your reason for bringing up those specific colours as examples, and I actually hesitated to point out the very minor nit picks--I hope I did not come across as critical.

As for your question about where I'd seen your suggestion before, I admit I had to search a bit, but there definitely is a similar thought out there. Perhaps you were able to describe it a bit better, but here are a sampling of quotes from others here on RL:

Originally Posted by Macca
my Speed Yellow 996.1 GT3 was calling to be for a modern day repeat too.

Mexico blue

should be a 2K upgrade palette colour for a GT3 along with other Jelly bean colours. These guys have missed a whole opportunity to capitalise on their historic when marketing.
Originally Posted by consolidated
I could live without PTS if the standard palette was more desirable.
Originally Posted by NateOZ
I would pay $20k for any historic porche color I wanted no problem.
And the most directly relatable thought from DES GTS, and comments that followed his (emphasis, in bold, mine):

Originally Posted by DES GTS
Why doesn't Porsche use the three tiered colour approach? First tier is basic white, black, yellow and red at no additional charge. Second tier is all the metallic colours at an additional charge and third tier is "exclusive" at a more significant additional charge featuring a more exotic/historical colour palette. You should be able to spec any of them in your configurator and have the order sent in by your dealer immediately without any problem or delay. No muss, no fuss.
Who knows, your wish may be granted, depending on how the "new and improved" PTS program works. There have been rumours that PTS will be available at all times (instead of a window of time) and if you simply pick from the list of approved colours (and if Porsche pre-tests a number of previously popular colours from day one of any generation of cars) you could more or less be guaranteed to get what you requested--at the third tier, PTS price point. Now wouldn't that be nice!!!
I guess what it boils down to for me is some people might prefer a much expanded list of standard colours (if it included quite a few of the usual popular PTS colours), over a true paint to sample program that would be limited in availability, take a long time to get approval, and risk you losing the car altogether (like the current program).
Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I agree with the earlier post. that they should go with this system.

1- basic colors no charge ... White, red, yellow, black
2- metallics $3500.. silver, grey, blue, etc
3 - special colors $7k... mexico blue, signal green, speed yellow, etc

I would keep it simple, these may not be the exact colors or numbers but you get the point. A small up charge for metallic colors, but a bigger jump for special colors. Keeps it more exclusive, those that really want will pay. But have a set pallete for each model. Maybe 10 special colors or something like that. That's it. No more pts. But also no more BS.
Quite possibly Eduardo has also made this suggestion, since he has commented a lot on PTS and its woes.

Anyway, I think it's great that we're all on the same page and agree that there might be other, maybe better?, ways to run a PTS-like program that offer easier access to great past colours. And not necessarily at the expense of true PTS, which could still be made available for those who insisted on matching car to some cherished purse or shoe or electric guitar or whatever the case may be.

As for Voodoo, I really love this colour, but wish there were an original "Porsche" alternative. I wonder if its popularity had anything to do with the formulation of Clubblau. I too have been looking at Club, Acid/Bahama, Arrow, Pure, and other blues as alternatives, but unfortunately many of these are not available at the moment. So I'm hoping you're right that Club may become possible. It is spectacular and one of my favourite new Porsche offerings.

Thanks again for your post and interest in my comments. I have really enjoyed reading your thoughts here and elsewhere.

Regards,
Daniel
Old 02-22-2016, 01:25 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 590 Posts

Pete, I hope you continue to do articles and editorials about PTS and the many fascinating and especially historic colours that have been offered. There is lots of interest in them,
Actually, we were looking into an article on Porsche colors (past, present, and future) 2-3 years ago, but it was placed on hold. Hasn't been forgotten, but hasn't been revived, either. PTS is its own kettle, and was not part of that plan.

I must say my tiny editorial cannot begin to scratch the surface of what can be hashed out and thought through here. However, I can see where both serve a purpose—as I am told some fairly high-ups read magazine columns where it's largely (though not entirely!!) us enthusiasts here on RL.

I for one would be more than happy if guys like Eduardo were able to "collude" with you on topics like this.
Thought about mentioning the "PTS whisperer" in my column, but felt it was better to keep to my own on the matter—for both of us and, frankly, for PAG.

I understand your reason for bringing up those specific colours as examples, and I actually hesitated to point out the very minor nit picks--I hope I did not come across as critical.
Not at all! I don't mind nit picks—it's good to get called out, and it helps us grow.

As for your question about where I'd seen your suggestion before, I admit I had to search a bit, but there definitely is a similar thought out there. Perhaps you were able to describe it a bit better, but here are a sampling of quotes from others here on RL:
Wow! You did some serious research. I can say none of the posts below were on my mind as I penned that editorial, or in memory, but I can see similar thinking at work, for sure. My idea was actually hashed out with two friends—one who has a PTS GT4 coming in—and then, later, at a PAG press event with someone fairly high up who had quite a bit to say (which was all off the record for direct quotes).

here are a sampling of quotes from others here on RL:
All right, let's have at 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca View Post
my Speed Yellow 996.1 GT3 was calling to be for a modern day repeat too.

Mexico blue should be a 2K upgrade palette colour for a GT3 along with other Jelly bean colours. These guys have missed a whole opportunity to capitalise on their historic when marketing.

Totally agree with Macca (he's sharper than the average bear), and agree with him on PAG missing an op. Disagree on the $2k, as it doesn't fit with my (higher) and clearly superior pricing structure. Hey, wait a minute: His sounds better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
I could live without PTS if the standard palette was more desirable.
Yes to basic concept. This was a primary point of the off the record discussion with the higher-up. Basically: The palette is inadequate. Some say the regular cars aren't offered in enough colors, or bold enough colors. Others say the GTx cars are offered in even fewer colors, and too bold. Conclusion: Part of Porsche's PTS problem is of its own making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateOZ View Post
I would pay $20k for any historic porche color I wanted no problem.
I like that Macca guy, but this guy is clearly baked!

And the most directly relatable thought from DES GTS, and comments that followed his (emphasis, in bold, mine):

Quote: Originally Posted by DES GTS View Post
Why doesn't Porsche use the three tiered colour approach? First tier is basic white, black, yellow and red at no additional charge. Second tier is all the metallic colours at an additional charge and third tier is "exclusive" at a more significant additional charge featuring a more exotic/historical colour palette. You should be able to spec any of them in your configurator and have the order sent in by your dealer immediately without any problem or delay. No muss, no fuss.
Yeah, this is down the same lines—though it seems to be advocating a three tier system with no PTS, which actually takes something away. Actually, my first draft of the editorial got into the thorny subject of charging $700~ for metallics when they're no cost options on so many far less expensive cars (VW, Fiat, etc), but I needed the space and that's a whole 'nuther discussion—even if it feels like the $115 floor mats back in the 986/996 days. But so do state of the art headlights and USB ports....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthan3mph View Post
Who knows, your wish may be granted, depending on how the "new and improved" PTS program works. There have been rumours that PTS will be available at all times (instead of a window of time) and if you simply pick from the list of approved colours (and if Porsche pre-tests a number of previously popular colours from day one of any generation of cars) you could more or less be guaranteed to get what you requested--at the third tier, PTS price point. Now wouldn't that be nice!!!
I think Porsche needs to do something, hence my column. PTS is mystifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthan3mph View Post
I guess what it boils down to for me is some people might prefer a much expanded list of standard colours (if it included quite a few of the usual popular PTS colours), over a true paint to sample program that would be limited in availability, take a long time to get approval, and risk you losing the car altogether (like the current program).
Yes. But why not implement 1) and keep 2)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsullivan View Post
I agree with the earlier post. that they should go with this system.

1- basic colors no charge ... White, red, yellow, black
2- metallics $3500.. silver, grey, blue, etc
3 - special colors $7k... mexico blue, signal green, speed yellow, etc

I would keep it simple, these may not be the exact colors or numbers but you get the point. A small up charge for metallic colors, but a bigger jump for special colors. Keeps it more exclusive, those that really want will pay. But have a set pallete for each model. Maybe 10 special colors or something like that. That's it. No more pts. But also no more BS.
Disagree. How many colors needed to make everyone happy? And we're eliminating PTS. Bummer.

Quite possibly Eduardo has also made this suggestion, since he has commented a lot on PTS and its woes.
Quite possibly, indeed. Eduardo is nothing if not prolific, and committed!

Anyway, I think it's great that we're all on the same page and agree that there might be other, maybe better?, ways to run a PTS-like program that offer easier access to great past colours.
All, except Porsche? Time will tell...

As for Voodoo, I really love this colour, but wish there were an original "Porsche" alternative. I wonder if its popularity had anything to do with the formulation of Clubblau. I too have been looking at Club, Acid/Bahama, Arrow, Pure, and other blues as alternatives, but unfortunately many of these are not available at the moment. So I'm hoping you're right that Club may become possible. It is spectacular and one of my favourite new Porsche offerings.
I'd go Acid over Voodoo for the same reason—BUT have to admit Voodoo beats a couple of Porsche blues I've liked in the past.

Thanks again for your post and interest in my comments. I have really enjoyed reading your thoughts here and elsewhere.

Regards,
Daniel
You're welcome, and thank you!
Old 02-22-2016, 10:54 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Thanks for the point by point reply. Reminds me of when in the past I've had editors or reviewers check my writing to ensure it'll pass muster! You have an eye for detail and precision!
I really hope you can use the shelved piece about colours some day, either formally as an article for the magazine, or if allowed, perhaps informally elsewhere (like RL)! That would make for a very interesting read.
It must have been very interesting to hear the official stance from your anonymous "interviewee." I wonder how decisions are made there, and what sorts of discussions have taken place around colour choices, PTS, etc. It would be quite illuminating to get more insight there. Perhaps you will find someone who would be willing to speak on the record, even in general terms. Although a specific colour, and how it came to be would be even more fascinating imo.
Thanks for using your voice and valuable print space to raise these issues, especially since it sounds like you have the ear of some of those who make these decisions. I appreciate what you've done to speak for many of us who simply go out and buy, drive, and admire these extraordinary cars.

Quick Reply: PTS window opens on MY2017 .2 991...& cost goes to $6,950!!!!