Sponsored by:

997.1 GT3RS vs 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 12:07 PM
991 GT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
I've owned both and for me the 991 GT3 wins hands down. Only categories I'd give the 997.1 RS is driver involvement, rarity, and rawness.
I echo this statement. The 991 3 is incredible.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:58 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If it was a .2 I would say no. For a .1, do it.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:20 PM
Raulza
Intermediate

In my case, if I was looking to be a collector, then the RS would be one to have but if that isn't the criteria and search for more daily driving, then the 991 with the newer tech and maintenance is the better choice.

As some have said, both would be ideal but sadly only one can be had for now, so leaning towards 991 at the moment.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:49 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

To the OP, it's an overwhelming NO! And from both the 997 and 991 owners.

So if you decide to trade, you will enjoy the 991, but will always be looking back for the 997.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Runner
To the OP, it's an overwhelming NO! And from both the 997 and 991 owners. So if you decide to trade, you will enjoy the 991, but will always be looking back for the 997.
Its not an over whelming No
On this board. Looks pretty balanced to me. If I were considering the replies I'd only consider folk who have owned both. Too many cool aiders otherwise on the 997 camp and for 991 GT3 camp folk who may have never owned an older gen 911.

Remember you can always buy them back again in the future. Keep working hard and your wealth will grow at a faster rate than these cars. Mark my words nothing is impossible to have back in your garage again in 10 years time of you want it.,,

http://autoweek.com/article/classic-...#ixzz3zmlEY5js
Old 02-10-2016, 05:06 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Mark my words nothing is impossible to have back in your garage again in 10 years time of you want it.,,
Indeed. It just might cost a bit more and feel too valuable to drive....

https://www.excellence-mag.com/class...6#.Vrul3vk4Fpg
Old 02-10-2016, 08:32 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Its not an over whelming No
On this board. Looks pretty balanced to me. If I were considering the replies I'd only consider folk who have owned both. Too many cool aiders otherwise on the 997 camp and for 991 GT3 camp folk who may have never owned an older gen 911.

Remember you can always buy them back again in the future. Keep working hard and your wealth will grow at a faster rate than these cars. Mark my words nothing is impossible to have back in your garage again in 10 years time of you want it.,,

http://autoweek.com/article/classic-...#ixzz3zmlEY5js
I have owned both. 15 991 GT3 and 07 GT3RS in silver and black. If you want a car to drive everyday get the newer one. If you want a raw driver involved car that feels like an event every time you drive keep the 07 RS. Personally if I could have my silver/black 07 RS back I would do it in a heartbeat. I have sold both of them and the one I miss is the 07. Hoping to replicate some of the involvement with my incoming GT4. Good luck with your decision
Old 02-11-2016, 12:28 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
I have owned both. 15 991 GT3 and 07 GT3RS in silver and black. If you want a car to drive everyday get the newer one. If you want a raw driver involved car that feels like an event every time you drive keep the 07 RS. Personally if I could have my silver/black 07 RS back I would do it in a heartbeat. I have sold both of them and the one I miss is the 07. Hoping to replicate some of the involvement with my incoming GT4. Good luck with your decision
^ That is some very good advice
Old 02-11-2016, 02:56 AM
Raulza
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tasman
This statement is exactly what has been going through my head which makes me question the decision ...... Is driver involvement the most important factor or a car that "could" compromise some of this involvement but offer more street enjoyment and practicality.

The way I see it, if I keep the RS, then you are making more of a long term decision that this will be the car you keep for a very long time as the new GT3's will always be more favorable for street use and less of an event.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raulza
This statement is exactly what has been going through my head which makes me question the decision ...... Is driver involvement the most important factor or a car that "could" compromise some of this involvement but offer more street enjoyment and practicality. The way I see it, if I keep the RS, then you are making more of a long term decision that this will be the car you keep for a very long time as the new GT3's will always be more favorable for street use and less of an event.
Agreed. If you can only have one car this is the bit I don't get. I had my 993 as my single P car for 10 years as I was adamant after trying the 996 GT3 that the water boilers were all ugly, had lost their way, less raw, more plastic, less steering feel and boring sounding exhaust. The single redeeming feature of the GT3 after selling my 993RS was the engine (no air cooled I had owned revved like that or made that kind of leaky power).

So for 10 years I turned my back on modern Porsches and lived with my 93 C2 6speed. I spent 60,000 USD making it even "better". You'll find the first 10 years and 6000 posts of my RL membership were on the 993 board.

Then I bought the 991 GT3 because finally it looked like a GT3 that I could actually squeeze an acceptable return from as a second car. It's much less compromised than earlier versions, many not even as raw as my current 993, and by virtue of its newness and versatility it's now the keys I grab the most often when I leave the house (I only have two modes of transport in NZ 993 or 991 GT3). Now the 993 rarely sees use.

Granted if you could yo would own both. But in hindsight to f I could only have owned one at a time, I should have sold that 993 10 years back (I've owned it 16 years) and kept marching up the evolutionary tree using very one of them daily, as well as on track and my annual Tarmac rally's and squeezing every ounce fro them. There is something so special about living with these cars and putting mileage in them. There might be a few cases collectors out there and they may have money but few can be as decadent to live with t heir show cars daily and really form a bond with them. Depends on your philosophy of life but following my path in hindsight I would currently be driving a 991 GT3 and I have to say after 2+years in 6 countries and 10,000 miles in all conditions it still doesn't bore me. Infant it often electrifies me. And yes the 993 is lovely, mine is unique and bespoke, but it's sentiment that prevents me selling it nothing Ng much more because in almost every appreciable way that matters to me with my lifestyle and circumstances in my mid 40s the latest GT3 is a quantifiably better car. I even love the PDK auto because it takes the edge off in daily duty so that when I get clear road and flip to manual and whip that puppies *** to 9000 in 2nd/3rd gear it stands the hair on the back of my neck and makes me marvel how Porsche gave me two cars for the price of one.

It's all about where you are at. If I look back I could have lived with and experienced 5 other GT3/RS in 10 years not just one 993.

Anyway. Any decision you make will be the right one for you.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:39 AM
Raulza
Intermediate

I look back at my history of my cars (not extensive) and there are a few that I wish I had kept (finance and space permitting), Golf GTI, Subaru Impreza, BMW Mcoupe (S54), Lancia Integrale. But had I stayed with anyone of them, I would have missed the fun the next car presented.

This is partly the way I'm looking at the 997 GT3RS, boy its a car that never disappoints, NEVER, but its time for a new experience and enjoy the next evolution in my path.

Even though the GT3RS is not a daily drive, have BMW 335 for that, but it would be fun to experience the next GT3 and thats why the 991 is in my sights.

Part of this analysis, I wonder if the next 991.2 GT3 should be the one I wait for, but who knows when that will come
Old 02-11-2016, 07:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raulza
I look back at my history of my cars (not extensive) and there are a few that I wish I had kept (finance and space permitting), Golf GTI, Subaru Impreza, BMW Mcoupe (S54), Lancia Integrale. But had I stayed with anyone of them, I would have missed the fun the next car presented. This is partly the way I'm looking at the 997 GT3RS, boy its a car that never disappoints, NEVER, but its time for a new experience and enjoy the next evolution in my path. Even though the GT3RS is not a daily drive, have BMW 335 for that, but it would be fun to experience the next GT3 and thats why the 991 is in my sights. Part of this analysis, I wonder if the next 991.2 GT3 should be the one I wait for, but who knows when that will come
Late 2017 they should start to be delivered I should think. Power, performance and aesthetics there will be little change over 1.1, but if you must have manual obviously this may be the mode for you. I embraced the PDK-S because I've been a MT Luddite forever (see list of past drives), so it was actually refreshing not to have a choice and it forced my hand to try the new tech. On the track or in the traffic I wouldn't go back. Re 1.1 In terms of durability if you are looking at a 2016 model then I would have no concerns - all the bugs are worked out by then I should think. Given you are RHD like me then you will find the resale prices in the auK a bonus even two years on and with 12000 miles cars are changing hands for 120-125k GzbP or 20% over what the first owner paid two years ago before he ragged it for 20k km! Imagine that's like the 7.1 GT3 you have being worth 20-30% over list two years on from release which never happened. Even with a direct swap today taking into account inflation your 7.1 RS is worth no more than it was so,d for new with taxes I suspect. I could be wrong as I don't look at your market closely but I know your currency is under pressure which would make exporting your car to UK attractive...

PS I Sind realise you were from SA till I saw your list of past cars of which I have owned some but many of which never made USA (original 2.0 l impressed WRX and integrate for eg). All the past ones have a place in our heart. Never look back I say.

Best of luck on the decision.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:45 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Wait for 991.2 with a manual. That will be the one to be had and could be the last of the NA. In the meantime enjoy your 997.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Wait for 991.2 with a manual. That will be the one to be had and could be the last of the NA. In the meantime enjoy your 997.
I'm beginning to worry that the only Manual GT3-engine car will be the 911R.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:58 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I'm beginning to worry that the only Manual GT3-engine car will be the 911R.
Why?

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3RS vs 991 GT3