Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TIRED OF WAITING FOR RS, SHOULD I BUY A RADICAL?

Old 01-19-2016, 01:12 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TIRED OF WAITING FOR RS, SHOULD I BUY A RADICAL?

Hey guys, I'm just looking for some friendly advise on what to do about my next track car.

So basically I put my name on a waiting list for the RS about 2 1/2 years ago. I was number 7 on the list but I was confident that some people would fall off and I would be able to get a allocation, I was wrong The dealer tells me that I'm "next on the list" for whatever GT comes out next. (at MSRP) Since it's looking like there probably wont be anymore .1 RS allocations that would put me in line for the first .2 GT car, GT3/GT2.. no one really knows. Historically speaking P will wait a year or two before it comes out with another GT car, so that pushes me back 1-2 years.... I sold a P and F car last year to make room for the RS and a bunch of tires, so needles to say I'm itching at the bit! I resorted to tracking my M6 Gran Coupe...LOL yeah 4 door track beater. Surprisingly its not bad on track, managed a 2.31 at Sebring.

Frustrated, so I've started looking at other options. I've always loved the Radical, the look and most important its a track BEAST!! I know the RS and Radial are completely different but I'm curious if there are any Radical owners here that can give me some insight and your thoughts? The car would be used at the track 98% of the time, but I would like to take it our for a cruise on the streets every now and again. They can be registered as a street car, has anyone done this and been able to insure it? Has anyone tracked one? Any advise would be a great help!!

Most of you know it's Winterfest right now at Sebring, so I was planning on flying down there Sunday to meet the Radical guys and go for a spin with Chris Hall I'm sure ill be sold after a few laps so I want to get some pros and cons from you guys before I make the trip.

Thanks!!

Last edited by BK77; 01-19-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:23 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

For racing (AKA shoving money in the fireplace) buy an Eclass PCA racecar.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:31 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
For racing (AKA shoving money in the fireplace) buy an Eclass PCA racecar.
Probably not doing any sanctioned racing, just DE racing Also my money tree is not fully grown, so I need to keep this "reasonably justified" to the wife....
Old 01-19-2016, 01:32 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

A dedicated track car typically means a trailer to haul it and then a truck to pull the trailer. It's either that or you use a shop that provides all your transport and track side support. I've been a track rat since 1998 and in all that time I've only met two people who drove their race car to/from the track. It's a huge compromise, and only doable in a street car that has a big enough interior and/or trunk to haul tools, spares, extra wheels, etc.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:41 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a SR8 for a few years now and for the track, nothing even comes close with 2 seats, other than perhaps the Caterham offering or if you wanted to get really exotic, maybe a West or Ligier or Norma.

The Radical absolutely, positively, cannot be used on the street (maybe, just maybe, the RXC could somehow be registered as a kit car). The practical problem is that it is an aero car, and has about a 40 mm ride height. You will destroy the underside and quite likely high center it on any kind of incline or speed bump. I have over 15 ft long ramps and dovetail on my trailer and still have to go through a ballet of boards to load it in my trailer when I take it places.

The Raddy also requires more care and feeding than a street car, with more religious attention to prep and maintenance. If you are not pretty mechanically inclined or have trackside support, it will end up frustrating you.

Many DE organizations may not want you. The Raddy is low, hard to see, and typically 7+ sec per minute faster than the fastest street cars. For example, I can do a respectable 2:24 in my GT3 at CoTA, but it's 2:09 in the Raddy. At MSR I can run 1:08 to my 1:19-ish in the GT3. Compared to run-of-the mill DE drivers who are not trying to destroy their cars (like me), the lap time delta is probably 10-15 sec per mile. I routinely get remarks that "you came out of nowhere" when overtaking.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE mine but it is not my only track car and I don't think I'd want it to be. I get it out when I have that special "need for speed" or to club baby seal street cars. The Raddy scoffs at lowly street cars, including P1 and 918. It's f'ing rude

It's a quantum leap from anything you have driven, too, and only works well when driven very, very hard, so the aero and tires function properly. I rarely see guys driving them nearly hard enough to extract their potential.

It is a serious big boy car and taxing to drive, too, as the G loads will be unlike anything you've felt unless you've driven a winged formula car or shifter kart.

I'd recommend you go to Spring Mountain and do their Radical school - they have the highest concentration of Raddys in the country and have a regular race series, too. Find out if it's your cup of tea.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 680 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
I've had a SR8 for a few years now and for the track, nothing even comes close with 2 seats, other than perhaps the Caterham offering or if you wanted to get really exotic, maybe a West or Ligier or Norma.

The Radical absolutely, positively, cannot be used on the street (maybe, just maybe, the RXC could somehow be registered as a kit car). The practical problem is that it is an aero car, and has about a 40 mm ride height. You will destroy the underside and quite likely high center it on any kind of incline or speed bump. I have over 15 ft long ramps and dovetail on my trailer and still have to go through a ballet of boards to load it in my trailer when I take it places.

The Raddy also requires more care and feeding than a street car, with more religious attention to prep and maintenance. If you are not pretty mechanically inclined or have trackside support, it will end up frustrating you.

Many DE organizations may not want you. The Raddy is low, hard to see, and typically 7+ sec per minute faster than the fastest street cars. For example, I can do a respectable 2:24 in my GT3 at CoTA, but it's 2:09 in the Raddy. At MSR I can run 1:08 to my 1:19-ish in the GT3. Compared to run-of-the mill DE drivers who are not trying to destroy their cars (like me), the lap time delta is probably 10-15 sec per mile. I routinely get remarks that "you came out of nowhere" when overtaking.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE mine but it is not my only track car and I don't think I'd want it to be. I get it out when I have that special "need for speed" or to club baby seal street cars. The Raddy scoffs at lowly street cars, including P1 and 918. It's f'ing rude

It's a quantum leap from anything you have driven, too, and only works well when driven very, very hard, so the aero and tires function properly. I rarely see guys driving them nearly hard enough to extract their potential.

It is a serious big boy car and taxing to drive, too, as the G loads will be unlike anything you've felt unless you've driven a winged formula car or shifter kart.

I'd recommend you go to Spring Mountain and do their Radical school - they have the highest concentration of Raddys in the country and have a regular race series, too. Find out if it's your cup of tea.
Great advice. To the OP, I will add that the directness and feedback you get from a race car takes the track day experience to a whole new level. Even an RS will feel like a Cadillac after climbing out of a Radical or something similarly lightweight and purpose built.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking at sports racers, I highly recommend a close look at SRF. A top shelf car will be under $40,000 with stairs, and will be as fast as a GT3RS on most tracks.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by BK77
Probably not doing any sanctioned racing, just DE racing Also my money tree is not fully grown, so I need to keep this "reasonably justified" to the wife....
Don't get a race car then.
get whatever else with a plate and warranty.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:25 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Keith is obviously talking from direct experience, but his thoughts echo what I was told by a number of people I spoke to. I have driven the car and been a passenger, but not really enough to have a strong view as you need seat time to really have a view.

I ended up building a dedicated 981 race car as I think it's a better tool for my needs. I'll probably end up buying an F3 or Formula Mazda Pro instead of the radical at some point in the future.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:28 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 680 Likes on 320 Posts

Or how about a Spec Race Atom? They run 2:03's at VIR which I believe is faster than an RS and are extremely affordable to maintain. You don't need to join the series to purchase one.

http://arielatom.com/specraceatom/
Old 01-19-2016, 02:34 PM
Superman32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There will be more .1 RS allocations. Canada already released September production allocations. Only a few but there are more cars coming.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:35 PM
Birel22
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Viper ACR Extreme Aero.... An absolute beast and DE cup winner hands down. It seems to be the best bang for the buck! It has come a LONG way. I am thoroughly impressed with a friends!
Old 01-19-2016, 02:43 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Birel22
Viper ACR Extreme Aero.... An absolute beast and DE cup winner hands down. It seems to be the best bang for the buck! It has come a LONG way. I am thoroughly impressed with a friends!
^ This!!
I asked friend and racer Leh Keen about a Radical a few years ago. He said he would rather I get a 996 Cup. in a DE if someone hits you the Radical is is going to loose. if you run off you could damage the tub (low) or at least the splitter for sure. Cup is safer and you have to trailer both anyhow.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:01 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

If you're not racing, I wouldn't look at a race car. Buy a used GT3 - any GT3 - or perhaps a GT4. You could drive it to and from the track and, with a capable driver, still be one of the fastest guys on track.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:12 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

An SR8 is maybe more labour intensive than the run of the mill SR3 which I have.
My SR3 RS was basically add fuel and go, but like any dedicated race car there's a much higher degree of between event inspections that need to be observed. Plus being so light, it's far easier on consumables such as brakes, rotors and tires than any full body mechanical grip race car.
After 4 years of GT3 track use, stepping up (WAAAAAAY UP!!) to a downforce style track car like a Radical was a real eye opener. The pace you can attain is addictive compared to full body cars, as well the G forces when driven properly will batter the crap out of you...but in a good way!

As someone suggested, check them out and if possible try one out. Radical South out of Daytona Fl is Radical UK's exclusive North American, Mexico, Canada and Caribbean distributor. I'm sure they can help point you in the right direction.

As for street use..... although they have a street legal Uk version, the SR3 SL, pretty sure it's not going to happen in NA, nore would you ever want to drive one on the street... period! PLUS They'd look funny with a bumper that meets NA legal standards....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TIRED OF WAITING FOR RS, SHOULD I BUY A RADICAL?