Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TIRED OF WAITING FOR RS, SHOULD I BUY A RADICAL?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 03:35 PM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=BK77;12942656]That thing in beautiful!! I talked with Chis Hall from Radical yesterday and he told me that the RXC should be a lot more reliable than the earlier models with a lot more performance. (that's why I put this thread up) They just started bringing them into the US very recently. They're at Sebring this weekend so I'm planning on flying down to meet with them this Sunday to do a few laps in the new car.(as a copilot

You will love it ....you have to try to get a drive of it ...
when driven by a pro you will be thrown around in it like a rag doll ..the g forces are off the scale ..after 3 laps you can feel your neck muscles and chest pleading you to get out !!!

The new models will have options abs and traction control I have been told, so a little more useable on road ...not that you would ever want to go for a lazy Sunday cruise in it !!

They have also just got GT3 homologation for the track Rxc to compete on track
Old 01-20-2016, 05:30 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Indeed if no budget issues and you want to slap anyone on track Radical RXC

half the price but more easy on street
the KTM (840Kg!) i drove a friend on track and
was very fun
it is not on Radical super performance oriented (never drove) but emotionally involving more usable
even BC manual trasmission mech diff
a good car to keep it as toy

If you need more comfort Radio A/C etc. same budget Alfa 4C

on comfort way why not Lambo 580 or Mc570
but in compare i guess these are Sofas at least like GT3/RS
Old 01-20-2016, 05:32 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug23
All the points above are totally valid. I raced in the SRA series for the past 2 years, have a 2016 Radical SR3 RSX that was just delivered to race in the Radical Series this year and a RS that hit the port in San Diego this week.

Just some random thoughts on pro's and con's

-Radical is stupid fast. Mike Skeen did a 1:51 at VIR a few months back in a new SR3 RSX with clapped out tires. It's expensive maintenance wise. Unless you are very mechanically inclined, figure about $500 a day for track support and about $1000-$1500 every 3rd track day for inspection, maintenance, etc...(not inclusive of gas and tires) Dunlops last for 8 race worth heat cycles and can be driven much longer but not competitively. Engines need a refresh every 40-45 hours, $12K round trip to UK for rebuild ($8K for rebuild, $1500 shipping, $2500 to de-install and re-install engine) Need 98 Octane Unleaded so figure around $10 a gallon for race fuel. Offs are very expensive, figure $5K-$15K depending on how bad you tear up the body work and suspension. If you get hit by a bigger car, it ends badly for the Radical....ask me how I know... Driving experience is like a video game, very little steering input, very taxing from the g-forces and addicting when you get it right. Honestly probably way too much car for a DE.

Spec Race Atom - Really cost effective and fun, can throw down good lap times. 2:03's from front runners at VIR and have gone as low as high 2:01's with perfect conditions (draft, new tires, and low temps) Running costs are absurdly low - brake pads last a whole season, gas is 93 pump octane, all the cars have their original engines and tranny's from 2012 and beyond unless there was a money shift. The power train is based on a Civic SI engine and tranny with stock tune so maintenance is very low and spare parts are plentiful and cheap. They are a real handful to drive fast, short wheel base, rear weight bias, they like to spin and they do it quickly. I think they are probably one of the best trainer cars out there since they communicate immediately when they are being driven well and bite when they are not. Seems like it could be a good choice for DE since they are relatively fast, low cost, and will help build your skills. Con's are they are depreciating like crazy and it's unknown what the future of the race series looks like based on some recent developments in the off season.

RS - If you don't beat it up too bad you have a good chance of getting most, if not all of your money back when you sell it and is there really anything better than driving a Porsche around a track and the sound a GT3 makes at full tilt?
Thanks for the comments on the Atom. Ever since I first got into the track hobby, I've been intrigued by that car - ultra light, fast, easy to service, cheap on consumables, etc. I'm scheduled to do a test day in one at AMP. Do you own one yourself? They recently released a turbo version (AA 3S). At 365 HP and 1350 lb, it should be insane. From my internet searches, they can be road registered in some states but not in others.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:51 PM
Doug23
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both Scrappy1972 and I have Spec Race Atoms but I sold mine last month to make room for the Radical. The overall ownership and racing experience was fantastic, would do it all over again if given the choice.

AMP is a great track layout for the Atom's. Lots of corners and relatively technical.

Can't even imagine a Turbo Atom. I think it would be more than a handful on the track but a lot of fun!
Old 01-20-2016, 07:06 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug23
Both Scrappy1972 and I have Spec Race Atoms but I sold mine last month to make room for the Radical. The overall ownership and racing experience was fantastic, would do it all over again if given the choice.

AMP is a great track layout for the Atom's. Lots of corners and relatively technical.

Can't even imagine a Turbo Atom. I think it would be more than a handful on the track but a lot of fun!
BTW, you mentioned 2:01 - 2:03 at VIR. Does anyone know how that compares to a 991 GT3 on stock r-comps?
Old 01-20-2016, 07:35 PM
Doug23
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think a well driven 991 GT3 with a track alignment and R Comps like Hoosier R7's would be very close in terms of those times at VIR Full.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:44 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed. Look at CJ's write-up on the Viper ACR Extreme Aero. He was at Chuckwalla in Dec and he and that car flat chewed up the track.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:36 AM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=YellowPMan;12943596]
Originally Posted by BK77
That thing in beautiful!! I talked with Chis Hall from Radical yesterday and he told me that the RXC should be a lot more reliable than the earlier models with a lot more performance. (that's why I put this thread up) They just started bringing them into the US very recently. They're at Sebring this weekend so I'm planning on flying down to meet with them this Sunday to do a few laps in the new car.(as a copilot

You will love it ....you have to try to get a drive of it ...
when driven by a pro you will be thrown around in it like a rag doll ..the g forces are off the scale ..after 3 laps you can feel your neck muscles and chest pleading you to get out !!!

The new models will have options abs and traction control I have been told, so a little more useable on road ...not that you would ever want to go for a lazy Sunday cruise in it !!

They have also just got GT3 homologation for the track Rxc to compete on track

If all goes well hopeful I'll get a proper ride this weekend, Ill post my thoughts and hopefully some video footage Monday.

Originally Posted by fxz
Indeed if no budget issues and you want to slap anyone on track Radical RXC

half the price but more easy on street
the KTM (840Kg!) i drove a friend on track and
was very fun
it is not on Radical super performance oriented (never drove) but emotionally involving more usable
even BC manual trasmission mech diff
a good car to keep it as toy

If you need more comfort Radio A/C etc. same budget Alfa 4C

on comfort way why not Lambo 580 or Mc570
but in compare i guess these are Sofas at least like GT3/RS

Several people have pointed out the KTM, I really need to take a serious look at it. I'll troll around the pits this weekend and try to find one and have a chat with the owner.

I have never been a big fan of Lambo's, I tracked a buddies but between the poor visibility low head room etc. ....I don't know, it just didn't click with me. He loves it and thinks its the best thing since sliced bread. Never looked at the Mc

[QUOTE=Texas RS;12944292]Agreed. Look at CJ's write-up on the Viper ACR Extreme Aero. He was at Chuckwalla in Dec and he and that car flat chewed up the track.[/QUOTE

The Viper ACR is a beast, I would love to drive one. Ill do a little more research...thanks!
Old 02-10-2016, 10:41 AM
BK77
Pro

Default UPDATE!

Long story short, I went to Sebring a few weeks ago and met with the guys from Radical. I spent most the day talking about the cars, did a few laps in a RXC V8 (co pilot) and fell in love!!! Last week I ordered a brand new Radical RXC V6 I chose the NA for the reliability and relative cheap running cost etc..

I've been a waiting list for a RS for 2 1/2 years and did not get a car, not sure if its the politics, hype or limited production ...or all 3. I love P cars just as much as the next guy but this "super exclusive"...."VIP" BS has gotten way out of hand and I'm not playing that game!!

Life is too short to follow the crowd, that's why I buy when everyone else is selling and I sell when everyone else is buying

Thanks again for all your feedback, I hope to have her at Sebring the first week in April (Chin). It's Blue RXC, stop by and say hi if your around.

Bryan
Old 02-10-2016, 10:45 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow thats great! Have a lot of fun!
Old 02-10-2016, 10:49 AM
BK77
Pro

Originally Posted by jlanka
Wow thats great! Have a lot of fun!

Thanks jlanka, I plan on it !!
Old 02-10-2016, 11:00 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks jlanka, I plan on it !!
Looks like it's a street legal car? Do you plan on registering for the street, or track only?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:04 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Long story short, I went to Sebring a few weeks ago and met with the guys from Radical. I spent most the day talking about the cars, did a few laps in a RXC V8 (co pilot) and fell in love!!! Last week I ordered a brand new Radical RXC V6 I chose the NA for the reliability and relative cheap running cost etc..

I've been a waiting list for a RS for 2 1/2 years and did not get a car, not sure if its the politics, hype or limited production ...or all 3. I love P cars just as much as the next guy but this "super exclusive"...."VIP" BS has gotten way out of hand and I'm not playing that game!!

Life is too short to follow the crowd, that's why I buy when everyone else is selling and I sell when everyone else is buying

Thanks again for all your feedback, I hope to have her at Sebring the first week in April (Chin). It's Blue RXC, stop by and say hi if your around.

Bryan
Congrats! Well done!
Chum of mine was also competing at Sebring (with Radical Canada group) and was given the opportunity by Chris and Harry to drive the newest RXC Spyder Turbo for a session.
He was blown away... I'm sure that you will be as well!

Old 02-10-2016, 11:54 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

first of all: Bryan! You Sir have *****!
congrats!

the KTM makes fun with an upgraded Turbo, as the later sharper versions - but in Std. a bit too lame... (was working two years in Mattighofen at KTM in the R&D - and do have several XBox experience. If somebody needs infos, help etc. don´t hesitate to PN me)

I (as my signature tells) would go for a Caterham but only because it can be modified somehow to a greyzone legal vehicle in GER/AUT....

But the Radical - superb! And i guess you can go with it on the streets in US? Quaife sequential gearbox fun each day to the office!

please share with us pics and experiences!
Old 02-10-2016, 12:20 PM
BK77
Pro

Originally Posted by jlanka
Looks like it's a street legal car? Do you plan on registering for the street, or track only?

It can be registered and made street legal, not sure if I'm going down that road yet. I live in Tampa FL where all the roads are flat, straight and not very rewarding to drive on.

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Congrats! Well done!
Chum of mine was also competing at Sebring (with Radical Canada group) and was given the opportunity by Chris and Harry to drive the newest RXC Spyder Turbo for a session.
He was blown away... I'm sure that you will be as well!

Thank you sir
I actually ordered my car from Chris and Harry, great guys!!! The new Spyder Turbo is a monster, I think they said it's rated at 670Hp. I believe they sold the car to a gentleman in S Florida that weekend.

Originally Posted by jo_ker
first of all: Bryan! You Sir have *****!
congrats!

the KTM makes fun with an upgraded Turbo, as the later sharper versions - but in Std. a bit too lame... (was working two years in Mattighofen at KTM in the R&D - and do have several XBox experience. If somebody needs infos, help etc. don´t hesitate to PN me)

I (as my signature tells) would go for a Caterham but only because it can be modified somehow to a greyzone legal vehicle in GER/AUT....

But the Radical - superb! And i guess you can go with it on the streets in US? Quaife sequential gearbox fun each day to the office!

please share with us pics and experiences!

LOL, thanks

I looked at the Caterham, KTM, Radical and Atom, but decided to go Radical bc of the performance, closed cockpit with AC,running cost and yes the looks! It has such a bold presence to it, I just love it!

Not sure if ill register it for street use yet, might just keep it as track weapon.

I don't have too many pics, what I do have ill try to get up.

Quick Reply: TIRED OF WAITING FOR RS, SHOULD I BUY A RADICAL?