Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TIRED OF WAITING FOR RS, SHOULD I BUY A RADICAL?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 03:44 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

there are a ton of RS' for sale. the market adjustment is already shrinking. if the stock market keeps moving down; you will be able to get an RS at MSRP fairly soon. Or get a GT3 with sport buckets for half the price now. And you can put Hoosiers on it; which you can't on RS.. and you will be much faster per lap vs RS.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:54 PM
Superman32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to get a rs at 50k over msrp soon.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:59 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy GT3.

Then just sell GT3 when you'll get your RS.

Easy.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:19 PM
Doug23
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the points above are totally valid. I raced in the SRA series for the past 2 years, have a 2016 Radical SR3 RSX that was just delivered to race in the Radical Series this year and a RS that hit the port in San Diego this week.

Just some random thoughts on pro's and con's

-Radical is stupid fast. Mike Skeen did a 1:51 at VIR a few months back in a new SR3 RSX with clapped out tires. It's expensive maintenance wise. Unless you are very mechanically inclined, figure about $500 a day for track support and about $1000-$1500 every 3rd track day for inspection, maintenance, etc...(not inclusive of gas and tires) Dunlops last for 8 race worth heat cycles and can be driven much longer but not competitively. Engines need a refresh every 40-45 hours, $12K round trip to UK for rebuild ($8K for rebuild, $1500 shipping, $2500 to de-install and re-install engine) Need 98 Octane Unleaded so figure around $10 a gallon for race fuel. Offs are very expensive, figure $5K-$15K depending on how bad you tear up the body work and suspension. If you get hit by a bigger car, it ends badly for the Radical....ask me how I know... Driving experience is like a video game, very little steering input, very taxing from the g-forces and addicting when you get it right. Honestly probably way too much car for a DE.

Spec Race Atom - Really cost effective and fun, can throw down good lap times. 2:03's from front runners at VIR and have gone as low as high 2:01's with perfect conditions (draft, new tires, and low temps) Running costs are absurdly low - brake pads last a whole season, gas is 93 pump octane, all the cars have their original engines and tranny's from 2012 and beyond unless there was a money shift. The power train is based on a Civic SI engine and tranny with stock tune so maintenance is very low and spare parts are plentiful and cheap. They are a real handful to drive fast, short wheel base, rear weight bias, they like to spin and they do it quickly. I think they are probably one of the best trainer cars out there since they communicate immediately when they are being driven well and bite when they are not. Seems like it could be a good choice for DE since they are relatively fast, low cost, and will help build your skills. Con's are they are depreciating like crazy and it's unknown what the future of the race series looks like based on some recent developments in the off season.

RS - If you don't beat it up too bad you have a good chance of getting most, if not all of your money back when you sell it and is there really anything better than driving a Porsche around a track and the sound a GT3 makes at full tilt?
Old 01-19-2016, 04:33 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 682 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug23
All the points above are totally valid. I raced in the SRA series for the past 2 years, have a 2016 Radical SR3 RSX that was just delivered to race in the Radical Series this year and a RS that hit the port in San Diego this week.

Just some random thoughts on pro's and con's

-Radical is stupid fast. Mike Skeen did a 1:51 at VIR a few months back in a new SR3 RSX with clapped out tires. It's expensive maintenance wise. Unless you are very mechanically inclined, figure about $500 a day for track support and about $1000-$1500 every 3rd track day for inspection, maintenance, etc...(not inclusive of gas and tires) Dunlops last for 8 race worth heat cycles and can be driven much longer but not competitively. Engines need a refresh every 40-45 hours, $12K round trip to UK for rebuild ($8K for rebuild, $1500 shipping, $2500 to de-install and re-install engine) Need 98 Octane Unleaded so figure around $10 a gallon for race fuel. Offs are very expensive, figure $5K-$15K depending on how bad you tear up the body work and suspension. If you get hit by a bigger car, it ends badly for the Radical....ask me how I know... Driving experience is like a video game, very little steering input, very taxing from the g-forces and addicting when you get it right. Honestly probably way too much car for a DE.

Spec Race Atom - Really cost effective and fun, can throw down good lap times. 2:03's from front runners at VIR and have gone as low as high 2:01's with perfect conditions (draft, new tires, and low temps) Running costs are absurdly low - brake pads last a whole season, gas is 93 pump octane, all the cars have their original engines and tranny's from 2012 and beyond unless there was a money shift. The power train is based on a Civic SI engine and tranny with stock tune so maintenance is very low and spare parts are plentiful and cheap. They are a real handful to drive fast, short wheel base, rear weight bias, they like to spin and they do it quickly. I think they are probably one of the best trainer cars out there since they communicate immediately when they are being driven well and bite when they are not. Seems like it could be a good choice for DE since they are relatively fast, low cost, and will help build your skills. Con's are they are depreciating like crazy and it's unknown what the future of the race series looks like based on some recent developments in the off season.

RS - If you don't beat it up too bad you have a good chance of getting most, if not all of your money back when you sell it and is there really anything better than driving a Porsche around a track and the sound a GT3 makes at full tilt?
100% agree with everything you said about the Atom series. The amount of draft these cars create made for some VERY close finishes to the extent it was a toss up whether you wanted to be in the lead or in second exiting Hog Pen.

We had some fun races! Hope to see you at some Radical events in the great white North this summer
Old 01-19-2016, 05:25 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Great advise and feedback from everyone, THANK YOU!!

Less than 2 pages of post and responses and you guys have already helped me make the decision to scrap the idea, my bank account and wife thanks you.

After waiting and mentally preparing for the RS for so long I guess I'm just getting a little frustrated. I woke up this morning looked outside it was sunny, the high is going to be in the lower 70's and Winterfest is going on and I'm not going to be there with a car....

At the end I guess I'm just not ready to invest the time and money it will take to run a DE race team Thanks for reminding me of all the work it takes to own a race car. I currently don't have the space, truck, trailer or time....I would be starting from scratch. I have a 3 week old little boy so I'm committed to be a great husband and father, so time is precious right now. I raced MOTO X and Karts most my younger life so time wasn't as precious as it is now.

@Keith Verges -I'm only in the market for 1 track car right now, so it sounds like it might be a good idea to have a Raddy as the "back up" I'm defiantly going to look at the Radical school, sounds like fun!!

@TRACKCAR- warranties are nice to have, especially the way I drive I should be at Sebring on Sunday so if I am I'll look for you, I don't think we have every properly met, only in the passing at the track. I also want to check out the new RS

@Scrappy1972 - I thought about a Atom, but never a Spec Race Atom. Ill take a look, thanks for the tip! I've don't a lot of kart racing so I'm also all about the directness and feedback.

@Birel22- HMMM interesting!! September build?? There was a "special allocation" here in the states about 2 months ago but unfortunately my dealer did not get any. I did have another local dealer offer me one 40K over sticker. I didn't take it bc I'm loyal to the other local P dealer and I don't like paying over MSPR for any depreciating asset.
Never really looked to hard for a ACR or have researched too much, but would definitely consider one...I usually only see them flyby me on the track, ill hunt one down next DE and have a chat with the pilot.

@1Gunner - I plan on visiting with the guys from Radical this weekend at winterfest. I talked with Chris and James about setting up a ride in the new RXC, I'm excited!

@Laguna_Dude- GT3 is probably going to be my path until P comes out with the next best thing

@Doug23- thanks for all the $$ feedback, I sure could buy a lot of tires with that saved maintenance cost by sticking to a Porsche

For now Ill wait to see if there are any more RS allocation in the next month or so, and ill wait to see what happens at Geneva. If no RS this year ill go GT3 and Spec it up to be ready for the track. At the end of the day owning a GT3/RS seems like its "having your cake and eating it too"
Thanks again guys I really appreciate everyone for taking a little time out of your busy day to chime in on this!! Everyone have a great week!!

Last edited by BK77; 01-19-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:35 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by BK77
Great advise and feedback from everyone, THANK YOU!!

Less than 2 pages of post and responses and you guys have already helped me make the decision to scrap the idea, my bank account and wife thanks you.

After waiting and mentally preparing for the RS for so long I guess I'm just getting a little frustrated. I woke up this morning looked outside it was sunny, the high is going to be in the lower 70's and Winterfest is going on and I'm not going to be there with a car....

At the end I guess I'm just not ready to invest the time and money it will take to run a DE race team Thanks for reminding me of all the work it takes to own a race car. I currently don't have the space, truck, trailer or time....I would be starting from scratch. I have a 3 week old little boy so I'm committed to be a great husband and father, so time is precious right now. I raced MOTO X and Karts most my younger life so time wasn't as precious as it is now.

@Keith Verges -I'm only in the market for 1 track car right now, so it sounds like it might be a good idea to have a Raddy as the "back up" I'm defiantly going to look at the Radical school, sounds like fun!!

@TRACKCAR- warranties are nice to have, especially the way I drive I should be at Sebring on Sunday so if I am I'll look for you, I don't think we have every properly met, only in the passing at the track. I also want to check out the new RS

@Scrappy1972 - I thought about a Atom, but never a Spec Race Atom. Ill take a look, thanks for the tip! I've don't a lot of kart racing so I'm also all about the directness and feedback.

@Birel22- HMMM interesting!! September build?? There was a "special allocation" here in the states about 2 months ago but unfortunately my dealer did not get any. I did have another local dealer offer me one 40K over sticker. I didn't take it bc I'm loyal to the other local P dealer and I don't like paying over MSPR for any depreciating asset.
Never really looked to hard for a ACR or have researched too much, but would definitely consider one...I usually only see them flyby me on the track, ill hunt one down next DE and have a chat with the pilot.

@1Gunner - I plan on visiting with the guys from Radical this weekend at winterfest. I talked with Chris and James about setting up a ride in the new RXC, I'm excited!

@Laguna_Dude- GT3 is probably going to be my path until P comes out with the next best thing

@Doug23- thanks for all the $$ feedback, I sure could buy a lot of tires with that saved maintenance cost by sticking to a Porsche

For now Ill wait to see if there are any more RS allocation in the next month or so, and ill wait to see what happens at Geneva. If no RS this year ill go GT3 and Spec it up to be ready for the track. At the end of the day owning a GT3/RS seems like its "having your cake and eating it too"
Thanks again guys I really appreciate everyone for taking a little time out of your busy day to chime in on this!! Everyone have a great week!!
with stuff like this it is always better to go a little slower down the slippery slope vs faster...it is very addictive and you are better off being financially cautious than flagrant.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:44 AM
YellowPMan
Instructor

The road going rxc could be an option if available in USA...drove one in Silverstone on a wet greasy day... All I can say I wish I could get my Rs as quick in the dry ...its in another league...just need to trust the car ..as your natural instincts coming from the Rs cut in, and say you can't carry that speed in that bend..

But totally addictive !!!

This was the new Rxc spider at the autosport show in full carbon fibre ..£140k
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2016, 04:46 AM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Front on
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2016, 04:50 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Birel22
Viper ACR Extreme Aero.... An absolute beast and DE cup winner hands down. It seems to be the best bang for the buck! It has come a LONG way. I am thoroughly impressed with a friends!
This...or get yourself a 987.2 track Cayman S/R. I'm almost done with my build. It'll be a track car with full safety, including a roll cage, and will keep up with 98% cars on the track.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:10 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

KTM X BOW
Old 01-20-2016, 10:13 AM
BK77
Pro

Originally Posted by YellowPMan
The road going rxc could be an option if available in USA...drove one in Silverstone on a wet greasy day... All I can say I wish I could get my Rs as quick in the dry ...its in another league...just need to trust the car ..as your natural instincts coming from the Rs cut in, and say you can't carry that speed in that bend..

But totally addictive !!!

This was the new Rxc spider at the autosport show in full carbon fibre ..£140k

That thing in beautiful!! I talked with Chis Hall from Radical yesterday and he told me that the RXC should be a lot more reliable than the earlier models with a lot more performance. (that's why I put this thread up) They just started bringing them into the US very recently. They're at Sebring this weekend so I'm planning on flying down to meet with them this Sunday to do a few laps in the new car.(as a copilot

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
This...or get yourself a 987.2 track Cayman S/R. I'm almost done with my build. It'll be a track car with full safety, including a roll cage, and will keep up with 98% cars on the track.

I thought about doing a build but at this point in my life I'm looking for a little more plug and play track car. I've built many race karts, Moto X bikes and off vehicles in my day, but time and space is a little more restricted now days. A lot of my buddies go that route and they love it, if you have the time, space and $ and you enjoy wrenching its perfect....

Originally Posted by fxz
KTM X BOW
To be honest I have never seen one on the road or track. Have you ever driven or tracked one? My only experience is with KTM is the 2 wheel version, which have turned out to be one of the best Moto on the market now days....back in my day, not so much.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:36 AM
AlD
Intermediate

piling on late here...

1) Take the Spring Mountain Radical school. I've done the school twice, and done lapping/testing days there in an SR3 and an SR8. Also have more than a bit of time in them at Monticello (they are popular with some members).

2) the Radical is an intense car, and also requires very competent support and maintenance to run well, and run safe. I also think (it's my opinion not a judgment) that it's much less safe than a properly built GT car. Part of that is it's an open-top car, part the design, and as noted, when you hit something, the radical will lose.

3) If you're a "serious" track driver, I am always a fan of a dedicated track car -whether a Spec Miata or a Cup car. They drive better, are much safer (cage, seats, et al) and depending on what car you get, can range from super affordable and easy to maintain to a capital consuming, labor intensive labor of love. Said otherwise, I've seen that street cars are simply not built for 140-160mph incidents. If you DE at 8/10ths or above, consider something purpose built.

4) a great option would be to consider a DeMan GT4 Cayman. Again, in my opinion, it's "better" than the factory GT4 Clubsport, ran like a banshee at Daytona last week, it's durable and has DE level running costs. Plus, now that a few have been sold on, the depreciation seems to be decent. Worth a call to Rick to at least expand your thinking.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:03 AM
BK77
Pro

Originally Posted by AlD
piling on late here...

1) Take the Spring Mountain Radical school. I've done the school twice, and done lapping/testing days there in an SR3 and an SR8. Also have more than a bit of time in them at Monticello (they are popular with some members).

2) the Radical is an intense car, and also requires very competent support and maintenance to run well, and run safe. I also think (it's my opinion not a judgment) that it's much less safe than a properly built GT car. Part of that is it's an open-top car, part the design, and as noted, when you hit something, the radical will lose.

3) If you're a "serious" track driver, I am always a fan of a dedicated track car -whether a Spec Miata or a Cup car. They drive better, are much safer (cage, seats, et al) and depending on what car you get, can range from super affordable and easy to maintain to a capital consuming, labor intensive labor of love. Said otherwise, I've seen that street cars are simply not built for 140-160mph incidents. If you DE at 8/10ths or above, consider something purpose built.

4) a great option would be to consider a DeMan GT4 Cayman. Again, in my opinion, it's "better" than the factory GT4 Clubsport, ran like a banshee at Daytona last week, it's durable and has DE level running costs. Plus, now that a few have been sold on, the depreciation seems to be decent. Worth a call to Rick to at least expand your thinking.

Great feedback, thanks!! Good idea to look at the DeMan GT4, I'm already
Old 01-20-2016, 02:44 PM
DeMan Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AlD
piling on late here...

Thank you for the kind words. The GT4-R has been an exciting project along with all the others. I am sure we can create something Bryan will love.

DeMan GT4-R at Daytona

Cayman with GT4 Front and GT3 Wing.

Not a GT4 but a fresh PDK Cayman build that will be available shortly.
See awesome photos of out projects here.

DeMan Motorsport
530 N Highland Ave Nyack, NY 10960
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales, Service, Restorations
Porsche Race Services and Parts
DeManMotorsport.com

Quick Reply: TIRED OF WAITING FOR RS, SHOULD I BUY A RADICAL?