Sponsored by:

Changes in the Wind for Porsche GT Race Program

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 12:12 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Nick,it seems you haven't been reading much about the GT4 Clubsport. Our distinct Rennlist colleague and Panorama chief editor Pete Stout has clarified that the engine in the Clubsport is identical and I accentuate IDENTICAL to the one found in the GT4! The only difference is that the Clubsport comes with a different DME calibration software that allows it to run an extra quart of oil without tripping the overfill warning. By running the extra quart of oil it gets to be able to run slicks without having oiling issues. So yeah...the only true engine found in a race car goes to the...you've guessed it! The GT4! Nick.
No, I got it. They both run a Carrera S motor.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:18 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
No, I got it. They both run a Carrera S motor.
Yes correct.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:18 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I should clarify, I'm not disparaging the GT4. I'd love to have one.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:27 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I should clarify, I'm not disparaging the GT4. I'd love to have one.
Never thought you did Nick. It was actually never my intention to disparage the GT3 or RS either,I was just kidding around...
Old 11-25-2015, 01:26 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
If history is repeated in GT2 form the engine will be turbo charged. The GT2 has not been NA in the past.
Right, I meant that maybe they'll build a turbocharged 991 GT2 or GT2 RS road car to homologate the turbocharged race car, but continue to make an NA GT3 for the road car.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:29 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

Read this as confirming that Porsche no longer thinks they can be competitive at the highest levels of GT racing with a rear engine car. This is a stop gap until FeFi.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:30 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer

Porsche Confirms New 911 RSR GTE Car for 2017

...Head of Porsche Motorsport Dr. Frank-Steffen Walliser has confirmed to Sportscar365 that an all-new Porsche 911 RSR is in the works...Walliser did confirm that a bespoke mid-engine Porsche GTE car was in the pipeline, initially for 2016, but the decision was made to instead remain with a 911-based model instead.
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
IMHO the really good news, if all of this plays out as described in the article, is that "Dieselgate" may not hamstring Porsches race and road car development as has been feared.
Originally Posted by Just in time
Quite strange that Porsche is abandoning one of its most visible advertising programs I.e., its GTE PRO racing program. They could just run with what they have. Not withstanding Wat Dr. Wallliser says this smells like a cost cutting casualty. I hope they remain in the IMSA series. I would be a sad day not to see an RSR in the GTLM catergory at Daytona and Sebring.e
Yes, it's cost cutting. And I am afraid it will get worse...much, much worse!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 11-25-2015, 06:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow. All bets are off. Whatever you knew before no longer counts. Even AP and his team will have no idea what their development budget will be in 17/18....
Old 11-25-2015, 08:47 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Hey,if you think about it,the GT4 might end up being the only current " GT " model having the exact engine from a race car-the GT4 Clubsport! Oh the irony! Well done VAG!
Indeed...but with one minor correction.

Originally Posted by Z356
Yes, it's cost cutting. And I am afraid it will get worse...much, much worse!
Dieselgate killed the 960 race program and brings into question when the Cup car gets a new drivetrain. I suspect it'll happen eventually if only because Porsche makes money on every one they sell.

Let's just hope it doesn't kill the 919/WEC/Lemans program too. That car is an engineering marvel and every driver that gets behind the wheel sings its praises.

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/m...-its-shocking/
Old 11-25-2015, 10:02 AM
Birel22
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Citing another article from Sportscar365..... It looks like the new engine will debut at Daytona. The 9A1 will be on the grid as I understand it.

“The whole team is preparing for Daytona,” Walliser told Sportscar365. “This will be the debut, but always what you don’t want to have is to start the car with a 24-hour race but it is like it is.”

The GT3 chassis, running the previous-generation non-direct injection engine, made a successful test debut in a VLN round last month, finishing third overall with Nick Tandy and Fred Makowiecki.

It has since continued testing and development, both in the U.S. and in Europe, with the new 4.0-liter flat-six engine. Walliser said the first customer cars were shipped to the U.S. teams late last week.

“We are testing and preparing everything,” he said. The cars are in production. We are doing a lot of things.

“It will come with the new engine, which is a heavy step. It was a late decision. We did that in December of last year, to develop a new race engine.

“That was really a task. We’re doing everything to prepare for this so it keeps the team really busy.”

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/po...s-for-daytona/
Old 11-25-2015, 10:18 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO - Big difference between a few privateers running a GT3 R with a 9A1 vs the factory running an RSR team. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mezger testing was done with the GT3 R to prove up the ability to revert back to the Mezger if the 9A1 fails.

It's very odd to me that you run a previous generation power unit in the 1 factory outing in the vehicle. Seems like it was the perfect test opportunity for the 9A1...
Old 11-25-2015, 03:25 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
IMO - Big difference between a few privateers running a GT3 R with a 9A1 vs the factory running an RSR team. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mezger testing was done with the GT3 R to prove up the ability to revert back to the Mezger if the 9A1 fails.

It's very odd to me that you run a previous generation power unit in the 1 factory outing in the vehicle. Seems like it was the perfect test opportunity for the 9A1...
What's more odd is that the Mezger is more expensive and heavier than the 9A1 engine. There have been a few reports about the 9A1 not being reliable in the professional circuits. Moreover, some privateers have also reported engine issues from the track. The Cup car, I believe, still runs the Mezger.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:33 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

There go the " GT " premiums down the drain. LMAO!

I really don't care,I love my parts bin special " GT4 " ! Hey,if you think about it,the GT4 might end up being the only current " GT " model having the exact engine from a race car-the GT4 Clubsport! Oh the irony! Well done Porsche!
Not sure what you mean here. RS premium are because of limited supply rather than anything else, definitely not because of any racing connections. And GT3 is priced pretty much the same as Carrera S with comparable bodykit and powerkit, so no premium there. There might be on secondary markets, but again, that's purely dictated by supply. FWIW, GT4 would have had even bigger premium if they kept the supply tighter (not advocating tight supply - I hate it, in fact).
Old 11-25-2015, 03:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Not sure what you mean here. RS premium are because of limited supply rather than anything else, definitely not because of any racing connections. And GT3 is priced pretty much the same as Carrera S with comparable bodykit and powerkit, so no premium there. There might be on secondary markets, but again, that's purely dictated by supply. FWIW, GT4 would have had even bigger premium if they kept the supply tighter (not advocating tight supply - I hate it, in fact).
Yes,you are correct. I was mostly joking. Although I believe more RS allocations are coming. In the end I believe there will be more 991 RSs than 997.2 RSs for sure,just like they've made more GT3s.
The lack of racing connection in a GT car like it was in the past is really unfortunate IMO.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:58 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Right, I meant that maybe they'll build a turbocharged 991 GT2 or GT2 RS road car to homologate the turbocharged race car, but continue to make an NA GT3 for the road car.
^ This! Plus Porsche can just do a refresh on the body and navi for the .1 GT3 and RS and sell them as the .2 versions which will save lots of cost. They'll also sell either a GT2 and/or a GT2RS in the .2 versions.

Quick Reply: Changes in the Wind for Porsche GT Race Program