Sponsored by:

RS arriving...trade in GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 07:12 PM
csesin
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RS arriving...trade in GT3?

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I guess you can say that I’ve been a “lurker” since about 2012, ever since I got my first 911 (991s RY). As I started enjoying my car on the road, I also started reading about exploring what the car had to offer on the track. I read about the more “visceral” experience with the GT cars, and increasingly “yearned” for that experience. I live in Miami, and having had a really nice relationship with The Collection (my local dealer), I was able to secure an allocation for the 991 GT3. I kept reading up on this forum (and can say that this is by FAR the best source of P-car information I have found. I have learned a TREMENDOUS amount from all of you, shout out to Mike from CA, Trakcar, Eduardo, Pete Stout, Mooty, Nizer, neanicu, Manifold, and too many others to list.) Well, I was one of the first around town to receive the GT3 (Feb 10, 2014), and had to stop driving it 11 days later. Everyone here did a great job of getting me through the pain of the recall, and by late June 2014 my car was happily back at home. I have thoroughly enjoyed it, though it did take me a bit of time (busy work schedule, 3 small kids at home) to finally get it to the track. End result: I’m pretty sure I’ve been bitten by the so-called “track bug”, and am looking forward to many more track days.

Which brings me to my next point: I was able to get an allocation for an RS (just because “racecar”, I really do not have any other great reason, put down a deposit in November 2013 after my GT3 “epiphany”). It arrives in a few days my SA told me yesterday (UV). My plan until recently was to trade-in the GT3 for the RS. But the concept of beating the RS at the track (which I was convinced of) was muted after seeing not only the costs of replacement parts (14k for a fender!), and the skyrocketing trading price (I will not call it “value”) of the car. So I started thinking about getting a CPO Cayman S primarily for track abuse, and leaving the RS for an occasional track day, but otherwise for “quiet admiration” (I know I will get grief by some for not wanting to spank it). Yesterday and today I now have started saying to myself, “Jeez, why not just keep both the GT3 AND the RS”??? Keep the GT3 for track abuse, and the RS for occasional track day, “quiet admiration”, with relative “value” preservation (I won’t call it an investment). I’ve been a bit torn with this decision, not because I don’t drool at the prospect of having BOTH of these in my garage, but primarily because of the occasional guilty feeling of putting so much money into cars. I am not a billionaire, but from an objective, disinterested financial perspective, it is not an issue. I guess it’s just thoughts my mom and dad (who came to the US from humble beginnings in Cuba in 1968) put in my head about avoiding extravagant spending, think about the future, “think about how much more good you can do with that money if you spend it on (fill in the blank)”. I’m strongly leaning to keeping both, particularly since at trade-in I know I will be leaving some money on the table. I’m not asking for any of you guys to make a decision (I’m pretty sure I know what the consensus will be). Rather, I’m wondering if any of you have ever had similar thoughts before.

I want to thank all of you again for all the support that you’ve (unknowingly) provided for me over the past several years.

Carlos
Old 11-22-2015, 07:32 PM
Gotboost?
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, congrats on your incoming RS. You must be excited. I have the same problem you have. I do have some time to decide since my RS build is not until Jan/Feb. I am leaning towards selling my GT3 simply based on the fact that I don't get to drive the car all that much. With a 2 year old at home, I have put on about 3k on my GT3 in the last year.

Good luck on your decision. I don't think you can lose either way.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:37 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Keep both and add a 964 RS and 997 RS. Portfolio diversification helps lower risk.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:51 PM
bhf_clt
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

While I don't have an allocation, I'm first in line for an RS at a dealership that will probably never see one. While I daydream about the possibility, I have had the exact same thought you did; track my GT3 and leave the RS for our semi-annual Smokies events, fun around town, etc. I'm having a hard time imagining tracking the RS given the value of the car and the cost of replacement parts. Sacrilege, I know, but that's the reality of it for me.

So I don't really have a solution for you. Just wanted to chime in that I'm thinking the same way you are...but you have an RS allocation and I don't. First world problems for sure.

And welcome to RL (as a poster versus just lurking).
Old 11-22-2015, 08:04 PM
mdkim
Racer

I have a June allocation.

To be more specific, my dealer has a bucket allocation showing June 2016 so I'm "assuming" I have an RS build slot. I've tossed around the ideas of GT4, race built 996/997 or Boxter/Cayman for track, but I've grown to love my GT3 so much that I'm also thinking of keeping it when/if my RS arrives. You're on a much tighter timeline but if I had to decide today, I'd track GT3 and RS a little more sparingly due to value/cost.

This may all change very quickly when rates/market dictate value. Enjoy your truly 1%er problems .
Old 11-22-2015, 08:07 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

If the RS would make you guilty driving it, just don't get it. The market conditions for these cars are unfortunately forcing many off the road and into personal museums. It's very sad.

At the end of the day, a shunt in the regular GT3 isn't cheap either.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

Well- it is a nice decision to have but I understand the dilemma. I do not track and I also have a 2014 991 GT3. I am good for maybe 4000 miles of street driving per year. Why then do I have a GT3??-because I can but I have been a sports car enthusiast since a young child and always wanted a GT3 because I love the rawness that this NA car delivers with the precision of a knife. Now- in your case if you have the room for both and based on how you would devote the GT3 for the track and RS for admiration and occasional spirited street driving- sounds like the best freakin formula. But, if you like Manuals I would trade the GT3 for a GT4 and pocket some money so you feel better and have the best of all worlds.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:15 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So I wonder if and I say "IF" the market crashes or something similar causes the prices to settle back down to around msrp prices would you RS guys then start tracking your cars? Thank god I won't have that problem to worry about. lol
Old 11-22-2015, 08:31 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bronson7
So I wonder if and I say "IF" the market crashes or something similar causes the prices to settle back down to around msrp prices would you RS guys then start tracking your cars? Thank god I won't have that problem to worry about. lol
^^ You're SO on target with that comment. On one hand I feel fortunate to be in the position of a pretty good return on the RS if I sell ... but I am annoyed that I'll have trouble aggressively tracking this car. Daily, alternating with the emotions of a healthy financial return on the RS I am frustrated why the $190,000+ track animal I spec'd out is not going to be tracked to its full potential (or near so) in my hands. I spec'd out a car with relatively few options since it was not destined to be a garage queen. Some days I wish the market for the RS would crash and I could go back to my original plans ... rather than now spec'ing out the GT4 to take to track (with Cobb tuning, exhaust mods, Li battery, etc.), which will though admittedly be a pleasure as well.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:05 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My PTS RS is further delayed, now looking like March delivery. But I pre-traded my GT3 ahead of time for the car. Neither would ever be a daily driver for me and I feel that they would be too close to each other to own both. I see the RS as a more extreme version of the GT3 - in terms of look, sight, sound, etc. Some here may try to make the case for the GT3 performing the same, but in real life I doubt it. But is it worth the premium many are paying for a new RS? That is an individual choice. I personally believe at anything that is more than about $25k over MSRP, its not worth the gap. So, all that said, unless the money really just doesn't matter to you, I would trade the GT3. IF you want something for the track, as you mentioned a Cayman/GT4 type set up would be "different" enough.
What I am considering doing is adding back an air cooled car to scratch the itch while I wait for the RS and/or maybe to keep.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:42 PM
NSD991
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 112 Posts

My humble vote, may not be a popular vote. Keep the GT3 use it without stress, sell the RS and make a small profit. Having both will cause too much mental turmoil.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:00 PM
csesin
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't mention that I got to take the 570s for a test drive this past Friday. Not that I am in the market for the car, but I enjoy seeing what the market has to offer. I have to say that the car does have presence. I actually do like the design, including the rear end (probably better than I do the 650/75 rear end). There is a sense of occasion seeing the car, looking around it, opening the doors, and stepping inside. It rode quite comfortably, has impressive acceleration, etc. HOWEVER, it quickly reminded me of what I love about the GT3/RS: the throttle response, the noise, the "connectedness" to the road, the "unfiltered" messages the car delivers to you, whether you are putzing around in traffic, or pushing it on the open road. It sort of made me realize that the GT3 feel is unique and with few rivals, and easily merits (or rationalizes) having more than 1 in the garage.

Thank you all for your comments.

Carlos
Old 11-22-2015, 10:03 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

csesion-- The fact that you've been lurking on this board for years, you're madly in love with your GT3, and you have a RS on order, is prima facie evidence that you are already in the deep end of the fanaticism pool.

You can't possible sell the GT3 because you'll miss it too much if you do.

You have to take delivery of the RS because....well, it's a freaking RS!!

Life is short. You only live once. Take delivery of the RS and then decide. Because you can and you want to.

Enough said.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:13 PM
Superman32
Racer

If you can afford to keep both why not? Or trade the gt3 for a 997.2 rs.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:14 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Whatever you do, don't sell the GT3.

You will forever miss the 9000 redline.

Quick Reply: RS arriving...trade in GT3?