Sponsored by:

RS arriving...trade in GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 10:21 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
csesion-- The fact that you've been lurking on this board for years, you're madly in love with your GT3, and you have a RS on order, is prima facie evidence that you are already in the deep end of the fanaticism pool.

You can't possible sell the GT3 because you'll miss it too much if you do.

You have to take delivery of the RS because....well, it's a freaking RS!!

Life is short. You only live once. Take delivery of the RS and then decide. Because you can and you want to.

Enough said.
Carlos,

The Kman from Beantown is totally right , spot on , correct a mundo

enjoy your accomplishment
Old 11-22-2015, 10:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NSD991
My humble vote, may not be a popular vote. Keep the GT3 use it without stress, sell the RS and make a small profit. Having both will cause too much mental turmoil.
I agree with this. Better still the profit from the RS will land you a GT4 for fREE. Bet your folks would see the logic in that :-)
Old 11-23-2015, 05:10 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I agree with this. Better still the profit from the RS will land you a GT4 for fREE. Bet your folks would see the logic in that :-)
This makes a lot of sense!
Old 11-23-2015, 06:08 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take a leaf out of Reters book... buy RS and track extensively from day one and everywhere flat out... just enjoy.

If you can afford both great but they are to close in type, why not get a 997 RS or aircooled for diversification and spread of risk, specially as the manual cars gain value.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:54 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm facing the same dilemma. I plan on keeping both. I'll track the RS after break in, but the GT3 may be more "go to"/"aggressively tracked" car for me. I'll re-evaluate after 6-12 months. All in all, not a bad problem to have.

BTW, my RS delivery seems to be slipping as well. Its listed as "Blocked" because of PTS. The "at dealer" date is listed as 26 April.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:32 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

Final answer?
Old 11-24-2015, 03:16 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just so you understand that this is not a new dilemma and that it does not get any better with age. This is why I now own 11 Porsche's including my first, a 1965 356SC, which I have owned for 39 years. Your real dilemma will be where you will store all your cars in the future. Things to keep in mind: land to expand garage, ceiling height to accommodate 4 post lift, warehouse space in you area, collector car storage facilities near you, storage at your local track.
Keep the car and start planning for future storage needs.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:47 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If I could, I would have kept the GT3 as well. Mine was on its second bumper that was jerry rigged to stay put so the fear factor was gone (within reason) and Hoosiers are coming next year for it, allowing the GT3 to eat any RS (same driver skills) out there.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
I'm facing the same dilemma. I plan on keeping both. I'll track the RS after break in, but the GT3 may be more "go to"/"aggressively tracked" car for me. I'll re-evaluate after 6-12 months. All in all, not a bad problem to have. BTW, my RS delivery seems to be slipping as well. Its listed as "Blocked" because of PTS. The "at dealer" date is listed as 26 April.
David. Looking forward to your comparison between the two on track when you have them both.

As a huge aircooled fan I should say the option to sell the RS make profit and use that money to buy the best 993/964 you can is hugely appealing and would be a shrewd "investment" to boot. Use the GT3 for track and DD and the old timer for fun cruising on the weekends...:-)
Old 11-24-2015, 10:08 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
David. Looking forward to your comparison between the two on track when you have them both.

As a huge aircooled fan I should say the option to sell the RS make profit and use that money to buy the best 993/964 you can is hugely appealing and would be a shrewd "investment" to boot. Use the GT3 for track and DD and the old timer for fun cruising on the weekends...:-)
Macca,
I agree about getting back into an air cooled car. I kick myself every time I see a guards red Carrera 3.2 (my first Porsche). I loved that car and it seems they are appreciating nicely. They were the "last of the torsion bar rear suspension" 911s!
Old 11-26-2015, 05:25 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome to the forum, good to see you're now posting rather than just lurking. It's a fantastic community! I would do what I think you're already leaning towards. KEEP the GT3. That's the car that made you fall in love with Porsche. So no matter how good the RS is, down the road, you'll always have a soft spot for the GT3 and miss it. But, get that RS too!!! If it was a financial decision of one or the other, then yes it would be a much more difficult position. But if you're in a position that keeping both wouldn't be a hardship, by all means do it! I hate the fact that the RS has gotten to the point where they'll hardly ever be tracked and will be residing as collector cars rather than driven. But I get it, I really do, I just don't like it. But, getting both, the GT3 can be driven/tracked with less worry and the RS will give you that special feeling when you do take it out. Who knows, maybe you'll love it so much that you decide to buck the system and conventional wisdom and use it more often and put some miles on it! Porsche's were always known for their durability and longevity. Nowadays the Ferrari crowd that has infiltrated into Porsche seems to think a car with 30 or 40k miles on it has "high mileage". hahha the REAL Porsche guys remember that there's SC's and 3.2 Carrera's running around with 200k+ miles on them without even having a full rebuild put on them, just good maintenance and top end rebuilds like Valve guides. They were driven not stored. Now I understand that today's engines are a lot more complex, but they should still be very reliable if well taken care of. Don't be afraid to put miles on them!
Old 11-26-2015, 06:58 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally I would sell the GT3 before the RS arrives. There is no way I would drive the GT3 enough to justify keeping it once the RS is here and its a waste to have two similar cars. just my .02

BTW, I did exactly that but a little sooner.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:07 PM
HGM 10
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So cool you can keep both, i sold my gt3
3 months ago to make room in my wallet for the time my RS arrives, (expecting no later than december, countdown has began for me) if i was in your position i would keep both, i really like my 14 Gt3, greatest car i've ever driven, noo doubt about that, so in the near future you can sell the Gt3 for a really good price value "without loosing money" as if you trade it in right now, and buy whatever is out there new from Porsche, gt4, R, etc. keep us post it, if you decide to keep it or not.
Good luck and drive safe!!!
One thing do not sell this 991 RS keep it until it rust.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:21 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by csesin
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I guess you can say that I’ve been a “lurker” since about 2012, ever since I got my first 911 (991s RY). As I started enjoying my car on the road, I also started reading about exploring what the car had to offer on the track. I read about the more “visceral” experience with the GT cars, and increasingly “yearned” for that experience. I live in Miami, and having had a really nice relationship with The Collection (my local dealer), I was able to secure an allocation for the 991 GT3. I kept reading up on this forum (and can say that this is by FAR the best source of P-car information I have found. I have learned a TREMENDOUS amount from all of you, shout out to Mike from CA, Trakcar, Eduardo, Pete Stout, Mooty, Nizer, neanicu, Manifold, and too many others to list.) Well, I was one of the first around town to receive the GT3 (Feb 10, 2014), and had to stop driving it 11 days later. Everyone here did a great job of getting me through the pain of the recall, and by late June 2014 my car was happily back at home. I have thoroughly enjoyed it, though it did take me a bit of time (busy work schedule, 3 small kids at home) to finally get it to the track. End result: I’m pretty sure I’ve been bitten by the so-called “track bug”, and am looking forward to many more track days.

Which brings me to my next point: I was able to get an allocation for an RS (just because “racecar”, I really do not have any other great reason, put down a deposit in November 2013 after my GT3 “epiphany”). It arrives in a few days my SA told me yesterday (UV). My plan until recently was to trade-in the GT3 for the RS. But the concept of beating the RS at the track (which I was convinced of) was muted after seeing not only the costs of replacement parts (14k for a fender!), and the skyrocketing trading price (I will not call it “value”) of the car. So I started thinking about getting a CPO Cayman S primarily for track abuse, and leaving the RS for an occasional track day, but otherwise for “quiet admiration” (I know I will get grief by some for not wanting to spank it). Yesterday and today I now have started saying to myself, “Jeez, why not just keep both the GT3 AND the RS”??? Keep the GT3 for track abuse, and the RS for occasional track day, “quiet admiration”, with relative “value” preservation (I won’t call it an investment). I’ve been a bit torn with this decision, not because I don’t drool at the prospect of having BOTH of these in my garage, but primarily because of the occasional guilty feeling of putting so much money into cars. I am not a billionaire, but from an objective, disinterested financial perspective, it is not an issue. I guess it’s just thoughts my mom and dad (who came to the US from humble beginnings in Cuba in 1968) put in my head about avoiding extravagant spending, think about the future, “think about how much more good you can do with that money if you spend it on (fill in the blank)”. I’m strongly leaning to keeping both, particularly since at trade-in I know I will be leaving some money on the table. I’m not asking for any of you guys to make a decision (I’m pretty sure I know what the consensus will be). Rather, I’m wondering if any of you have ever had similar thoughts before.

I want to thank all of you again for all the support that you’ve (unknowingly) provided for me over the past several years.

Carlos
Try looking at it this way, its not money, its currency units. Potentially something, actually nothing. The car actually is.

As for mom and dad and how much more good could you do than spend it on guys who will turn around and invest it into making such awesome cars as the RS even more awesome? Mom and dad are honored, and it is so much better than trading it back and letting your money go to the guys who do little more than make money off the spread.

Keep em both. Its a clear winner all the way around. Not to mention the factor!
Old 11-26-2015, 10:04 PM
991 GT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as you are planning to drive the RS, I would keep both and vastly enjoy both. If the RS just sits in the garage then keep the one your most likely to drive the wheels off.

Quick Reply: RS arriving...trade in GT3?