991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front of GT3 Destroyed by Deer Impact

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 08:34 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,788 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Default Front of GT3 Destroyed by Deer Impact

I was at the track yesterday, and another 991 GT3 hit a deer at about 140 mph. I didn't take photos, but can report that the front of the car and windshield were severely damaged, but the windshield didn't disperse the broken glass and wasn't punctured (which probably involved some good luck). The car had race seats and harnesses and the driver was using a HANS, and the driver was uninjured. Both front airbags deployed, but the driver didn't make contact with his airbag. The car was insured, and I'm not sure whether the car will be declared totaled, but IMO the car performed well from a safety standpoint, considering the circumstances of the incident. Not sure if the owner is an RLer, but if so, he may wish to post pics and provide further details.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:50 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How did the deer venture into a race track? Glad driver is OK
Old 11-15-2015, 08:53 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
How did the deer venture into a race track?
It was on track, and this track has had a number of deer impacts. I myself hit a deer on the same track last year, but was fortunate (relatively speaking) that it was a glancing hit at about 80 mph with little damage to the car, though the deer didn't survive.

Yes, you're all thinking that presence of deer at a race track is unacceptable - and I agree!
Old 11-15-2015, 08:55 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

Was it at Summit?
Old 11-15-2015, 09:05 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlee504
Was it at Summit?
You guessed correctly. It's my home track, I drive and instruct there a lot, and my wife drives there too, along with many friends. This may be the final straw in making me reconsider doing a lot of days at this track until they address the issue. Which is a shame, because it's otherwise a good track.

Our cars are very fast, and a good percentage of the deer impacts have been before T1, which is the fastest location on the track. With slightly different specifics, the deer could have punctured the windshield and the outcome could have been much worse.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:43 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very sad to hear. Thank goodness the driver is safe.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:57 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I know these events are rare but I would never venture out on a track that didn't have an effective way to keep the large animal population near by off track or at the very least substantially reduce the probablilty. I have seen and heard some tragic deer accident results on roadways with speeds at only 40-60 mph and we are talking speeds closer to 3 times those. For all the talk on track safety we have on here, it's talking out of both sides of our mouths if we knowingly go out with risk of hitting a deer at 100+ mph? The track must do more to secure perimeter? Unfortunately as you know a HANS device won't help you when your impaled by a deer or other animal coming through windshield at high speeds.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:08 AM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Where state is summit located in?
Old 11-15-2015, 10:15 AM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Good to know...I was in my 3 week old MG GC by my house a few weeks ago, and one decided to run out...we were converging and impact was imminent, she was going to run right into the drivers side....she leaped at the last second and jumped over the windshield. Back hoofs contacted the glass. Thank God, she missed A-pillars, and windshield had no scratches. Crazy ****...
Old 11-15-2015, 10:16 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
WV

Originally Posted by bronson7
Very sad to hear. Thank goodness the driver is safe.
+1

Was the incident on the Summit (main) or Shenandoah? I'm assuming you wouldn't be talking about Jefferson.

For those who don't know - Summit Point has three distinct circuits on the property. They are each separate and three events can be run simultaneously. They also have car control. Not sure if they have karting.

I've instructed for XtremeXperience on the Jefferson Circuit and one weekend was enough to convince me I'd never drive it again.

I recently attended an RTRPCA DE at Summit (main) circuit. No deer. Had a blast. GREAT track and facilities (much better than Jefferson). I hear Shenandoah is also a fun track with great facilities.

What do they do about deer? TALL fencing? I can't think of much else. I was told that if I see a corner worker putting his fingers up behind his head (think bunny ears only more like antlers) that it meant deer on the track. I've never seen this "signal" at any other track - but at PittRace we occasionally get deer inside. I don't know of any deer incidents but I've been witness to groundhogs getting hit and I've seen fox cross the track along with birds and ducks.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:18 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
West Virginia. There are three tracks there: Summit Point Main, Shenandoah, and Jefferson. The deer incidents have typically been at SP Main, which is where this incident was. There's forest around much of the tracks, as well as in much of the infield, and there's essentially no fencing to keep the deer out or control where they're likely to cross the track.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:23 AM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks. Crazy stuff and serious safety hazard.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:29 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Wow. Scary.
No animals at thill

Squirrels are massacred every day at Laguna

They delayed the start of a track day at Sonoma when a deer was spotted. A truck was sent out with someone armed with a rifle. Deer was taken care of, and the day continued on...
Old 11-15-2015, 10:44 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I know these events are rare but I would never venture out on a track that didn't have an effective way to keep the large animal population near by off track or at the very least substantially reduce the probablilty.
From a risk assessment standpoint, looking back over my own track experience, I would say that my risk factors, from highest to lowest, have been about as follows:

- Fluids dumped (or, less commonly, parts dropped) by other cars
- Mechanical issues with my own cars (I've never dumped fluids)
- My own driving errors (including not being fully cognizant of track conditions)
- Errors of other drivers in my proximity
- Animals on track

While animals are at the bottom of this list, the only time I ever damaged a car on track was the glancing hit of the deer I mentioned, and because deer (a) are a risk which I have no control over, (b) have significant potential to be deadly, (c) a risk which can be greatly reduced by measures such as fencing, I find animals on track to be an unacceptable risk.

Also, FWIW, I continue to feel to safer in the right seat than the driver's seat because the car is usually going slower with more overall safety margin when I'm in the right seat. At the same time, in the cases I know of where cars crashed on track with two people in the car, if there was injury, it was usually worse for the person in the right seat (I don't know why).
Old 11-15-2015, 11:34 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad driver is OK. I ran CCS and WERA, motorcycle road-racing series, and cannot recall any deer incidents.
Just no way to control this peril.

Quick Reply: Front of GT3 Destroyed by Deer Impact