Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3

Hey guys (and gals!)...I am a newbie and this is my first post so be gentle!

I recently sold my 997.1 GT3 (about 12 months too early! ) when prices started climbing and thinking this was too good to be true so offloaded (my first GT car so excuse my rookie mistake!) - I recently saw my old car changing hands couple weeks ago for £30k more than I sold it for!

so that brings me to my question - have been keeping a close eye on the news coming out of Germany and was pleased to hear noise that the "next" GT3 would have the option for a manual gearbox (http://blog.caranddriver.com/hallelu...-transmission/ but doesn't look like we will see the normal life cycle of a 992.2 GT3 but perhaps a longer wait till the next GT3 than I had thought (to make way for gt2 and gt2 rs production - rumour has it).

Having been watching this forum for some time it seems you guys have amazing relationships with dealers so was wondering if anyone here had some discussions with dealers on potential timings? are we really looking at 2018 earliest? if you didn't have your GT cars now, would you wait till the next iteration or would you still buy a 991 GT3 now and love every minute till the next one or be patient (assuming not having an unlimited pot of $ at the end of the rainbow..) !

I am already registered on my dealers list for the "next" GT3 - whether that be a GEN 2 991 or some other iteration but they have not been able to tell me anything in terms of timing etc..and becoming increasingly impatient! :banged:

anyway thanks for any intel guys and even if not look forward to being an active member!
Old 11-09-2015, 07:08 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

dealers usually know a lot less than most on this forum. I don't have any intel myself but keep you finger on the pulse of rennlist and the info will come.

1 thing I can say is with the VW disaster things may be delayed...
Old 11-09-2015, 07:12 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just be patient. Good things will come to those who deserve it. You already have taken care of your first order of business by getting on your dealers list. These GT3's are everything that everyone has said they are. Best of luck.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:15 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not knowing what the future of porsche GT cars holds, I would buy a 991 GT3 if I were you. I would take my time and look for a pre owned one with the specs you like. I think prices might drop a little this winter, especially in areas other than the west coast. It's going to be a long wait til we see the next gt3 (if there is one?). You are looking at 2 years from now (2018- so deliveries in late 2017?).
This 991 gt3 is truely a special car, especially at its price point.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlanka
dealers usually know a lot less than most on this forum. I don't have any intel myself but keep you finger on the pulse of rennlist and the info will come.

1 thing I can say is with the VW disaster things may be delayed...
thanks jlanka - will def be keeping a close eye on all you guys and whatever info you can share!
Old 11-09-2015, 07:20 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
Advanced

Originally Posted by bronson7
Just be patient. Good things will come to those who deserve it. You already have taken care of your first order of business by getting on your dealers list. These GT3's are everything that everyone has said they are. Best of luck.
thanks bronson7 - just need to practice my zen face and live vicariously through you all...
Old 11-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
Advanced

Originally Posted by OCturbo
Not knowing what the future of porsche GT cars holds, I would buy a 991 GT3 if I were you. I would take my time and look for a pre owned one with the specs you like. I think prices might drop a little this winter, especially in areas other than the west coast. It's going to be a long wait til we see the next gt3 (if there is one?). You are looking at 2 years from now (2018- so deliveries in late 2017?).
This 991 gt3 is truely a special car, especially at its price point.
thanks OCturbo for the advice - will def keep an eye out for any special spec cars out there...we don't get some of the great spec cars/bright colour combos you guys get over the pond with the weather you guys are blessed with...
Old 11-09-2015, 08:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

There most likely will not be a 991.2 GT3, unless you consider the 911R the immediate successor to the 991.1 GT3.

The next GT3 will most likely be on the 992 chassis.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:54 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
There most likely will not be a 991.2 GT3, unless you consider the 911R the immediate predecessor to the 991.1 GT3.

Where are you hearing this from?? You're the only person to have ever quoted this.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:10 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Where are you hearing this from?? You're the only person to have ever quoted this.
He knows the cleaning lady.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:05 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
There most likely will not be a 991.2 GT3, unless you consider the 911R the immediate successor to the 991.1 GT3.
I predict the same; no 991.2 GT3 or 991.2 GT3 RS. Porsche is moving to turbos (period). So, if you have a deposit for a 991.2 GT3 you might end with a 991.2 GT2 or GT2 RS.

992 GT3 will (probably) go AWD with a Turbo engine connected to rear wheels and electric to front wheels. Expect something around 550-600hp and MSRP near $200k.

usctrojanGT3 started a thread to list predictions:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-produced.html
Old 11-10-2015, 12:43 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Respectfully, I think you guys are both wrong.

Porsche now understands the crazy demand generated by good NA GT drivers cars, with huge demand for all three and EVO car of the year awards for the GT3 and GT4. They know of the huge worldwide demand for a manual GT car as they were surprised by GT4 demand.

They can spend a minimal amount of R&D $ from VW(which needs to conserve cash), slightly tweak all thre engines to produce 15 more HP in each car, add a manual GT3 option, and they call sell 10,000 .2 generation GT cars (GT4, GT3, RS) without breaking a sweat.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-10-2015 at 12:46 AM. Reason: .
Old 11-10-2015, 12:51 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

or some other iteration but TURBO
Old 11-10-2015, 12:57 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

Porsche now understands the crazy demand generated by good NA GT drivers cars, with huge demand for all three and EVO car of the year awards for the GT3 and GT4. They know of the huge worldwide demand for a manual GT car as they were surprised by GT4 demand.

They can spend a minimal amount of R&D $ from VW(which needs to conserve cash), slightly tweak all thre engines to produce 15 more HP in each car, add a manual GT3 option, and they call sell 10,000 .2 generation GT cars (GT4, GT3, RS) without breaking a sweat.
This ^^^^

.2 versions are pure $$$ makers. Not to mention, what the heck are they going to sell until the next generation? When's that, model year 2020?? They will make money in 2018/19 with the .2's
Old 11-10-2015, 01:08 AM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

I wouldn't be so quick to decry the turbo 992 production for the next GT3. Don't underestimate the affect of legislated Euro emission demands on manufacturers. VW/Porsche will now be even more sensitive and reactive to those requirements in light of the recent diesel debacle. Obviously Porsche has already decided to invest mass sums of money to totally revamp their whole product line to forced induction to get power and still comply with the emission issues. I don't have a crystal ball and I don't know any inside info but I can see the writing on the wall. It's reality no matter how much most here would love to have a normally aspirated engine.

By the way I was told by a Porsche "person" in the know that if my dream car was a normally aspirated GT3 I should hold on to my car like grim death.

Then there is the pullout of Porsche from the WEC series with the news that a new RSR is in the works for 2017. Could they be preparing a turbo rendition to carry the Porsche factory flag???

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3