Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full body clear bra, paint correction, coatings and more on a GT3...oh my...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts
Exclamation Full body clear bra, paint correction, coatings and more on a GT3...oh my...

This was a project that visited us quite some time ago but being new here I thought some may enjoy the story and pictures. It’s tough making time to document projects like this anymore.

The GT3 in this thread was purchased by a client that has been loyal to us for many years. Unfortunately, he could not locate a local dealership that wanted to sell him a GT3, so he ordered it from a dealership in Chicago and had it delivered to Atlanta. The arrangement was that it would be delivered to my shop where I would oversee the unloading because the owner was out of the country. The pictures we are sharing tells the story of the GT3’s visit, start to finish.

The owner wanted something special for this car. What was planned was our full body advanced clear bra wrap. Disassembly and cataloguing of all parts was one part and the other was advanced wrapping where it would be near impossible to tell clear bra was installed.

Before we could install clear bra, the GT3 would need a thorough car wash, decontamination, paint correction and overall incredible car detail. We are a bit OCD, so it was necessary to give every single surface we could get access to the attention it deserved.

Once all surfaces were cleaned, prepped and had clear bra installed over them, the whole exterior was to be treated with our Modesta paint coating system to give it additional luster, chemical resistance and ease of washing. It’s unfortunate that the weather was overcast the day we pulled it outside for pick up and took pictures. The weather had been poor for the week between our finishing the project and the day of the pick up. We do not have typical glamour shots of the project after our work but I think the process images tell the story of what went into this labor of love.

Before any of this took place, we needed to accept delivery. The driver who delivered the GT3 was not quite as cautious as we preferred for the car. We understand that leather gloves are good when handling some heavier straps or chains, but seeing dirty leather gloves on the paint are never okay. When we saw this I had to be “that guy” and ask him not to touch the paint. His excuse was the the car was still dirty(per the owner’s instructions that no one touch it before delivery) and we were detailing it anyways -”so what’s the big deal?” After a tactful heads up that dirt on a car is different from greasy and filthy leather gloves pressing/rubbing against paint, he understood and removed them….placing them on the rear spoiler. haha…..I just picked them up and set them aside telling him where we placed them.

When it was time to crawl in through the window to back it out, I ask if I could go ahead and be the one to do that. I explained that the last driver that did this, got grease all over his Porsche’s a-pillar and headliner inside the vehicle. He was glowing at the idea of not having to crawl in the window with me overlooking the process.

When it was said and done, it was safely removed without any damage.

Once unloaded, she still had a short wait until we could get to her and the owner got back in town. He’d been waiting for months for his baby to arrive and could not wait to drive it. I got the call on my cell phone one evening from him, asking if I would let him drive the car that night with a friend. Of course! Afterall, he’d been waiting, we had not washed it and I totally understood where he was coming from.

So I met him about 9PM’ish at the shop, warmed up the oil before he arrived and tossed him the keys when he showed up.

A few days later, we began our long process of preparing the car for clear bra. This process included a thorough wash, decontamination to remove existing wax/glaze/polish/residues that could mask the defects in the paint, and then onto paint correction to repair the superficial paint defects.

Disassembly played a large role in the results of our work. The safe removal, documentation of each part and thorough assembly meant we could detail, correction and wrap with clear bra all areas possible.

I will try to organize them in a way that tells the story. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Seeing the quality carbon fiber engine cover looking less than 100% killed me. It was safely removed and then brought to an incredible finish before being protected with Swissvax Crystal Rock.

Spoiler was removed and completely corrected. Sure, it’s a big OCD to correct the underside of the spoiler but we saw some wicked factory sanding marks that simply had to be addressed before wrapping and coating. This shot was taken after it was corrected.

This image tells the tale of the sanding marks. The far right side has not been corrected and the left panel(rear quarter) has been corrected.

“No bolt left behind” -catalogue of each part from the disassembly. 100% success rate for putting cars back together accurately.

When it comes down to it, this type of clear bra wrap is the best way to get peace of mind of a full body clear bra wrap and the cosmetics that leave it as invisible as possible.

Can you tell where film is installed? (it is everywhere in these two pics)

The right side has film and the left is bare paint.

Precision fit, every time!

After all clear bra was installed, we coated the full exterior body as well as other exposed painted surfaces such as the underside of the engine lid and even all the painted hardware. Moving forward, 100% of this GT3 was going to be much easier to maintain!

Everything is safely assembled with kid-gloves.

Check out that carbon fiber now! (took a premature shot before the fans were popped all the way back down)

Smoked film wrap for the side markers.

All buttoned up and ready for many years of enjoyment and good looks!

Thanks for taking the time to view some pictures from this project. I am happy to answer questions any may have.

Last edited by Detailed Designs; 05-22-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:08 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Amazing work, I wish my film guy would do that.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:14 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Impressive! Approximately how many labor hours in an extensive project like this?
Old 11-09-2015, 04:25 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by malmasri
Amazing work, I wish my film guy would do that.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
Impressive! Approximately how many labor hours in an extensive project like this?
I do not remember but it was north of 100. And, thank you!
Old 11-09-2015, 07:49 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow, looks amazing! Love the attention to detail.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:03 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very, very impressive. Well done.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:55 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What wrap do you use? Do you cover the headlights? Thanks.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:32 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alevine
Wow, looks amazing! Love the attention to detail.
Thank you very much. It's the best kind of grind doing projects like these.

Originally Posted by bronson7
Very, very impressive. Well done.
Thanks for the kind words!

Originally Posted by allans
What wrap do you use? Do you cover the headlights? Thanks.
We mostly install Xpel Ultimate and Suntek PPFC. This project was Suntek PPFC. The clarity is nice but the film is a little thinner than Xpel. For a look at our advanced wrap with Xpel on a 991, check this thread out: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...a-turbo-s.html

We have tested many films over the years. Not a fan of 3m, Durashield or Ventureshield. Hexis has a new product called bodyfence that is actually pretty nice.

We will use whatever film we feel is the best fit for our clients.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:54 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

very nice, a good friend of mine that I'm trying desperately to charge more is a very good detailer and Xpel installer. I'm assuming this job was close to 5 figures (10,000).
Old 11-10-2015, 12:06 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
very nice, a good friend of mine that I'm trying desperately to charge more is a very good detailer and Xpel installer. I'm assuming this job was close to 5 figures (10,000).
Pretty on-point with your assessment and thanks for the compliment.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:20 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Incredible job and thanks for documenting it for us. The door handle and side mirror removal took it over the top!

With a white car I think you almost have to wrap everything in case the tint of the film changes over time.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:57 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Incredible job and thanks for documenting it for us. The door handle and side mirror removal took it over the top!

With a white car I think you almost have to wrap everything in case the tint of the film changes over time.
I am glad others can appreciate the documentation. It's gotten very hard to document these types of projects anymore. Doing so pulls us away from the work and slows everything down and let's not even talk about producing the actual content online...at any rate. Thank you for the expression. I greatly appreciate it.

You're right in how well this type of wrap comes out. We've taken this car to Caffeine and Exotics in Atlanta and people have no idea that the whole car was wrapped. We have a small sign that says that the car has clear bra and a nano-coating. They think there's only film on the front. They just exclaim how great the clear bra on the front end looks. That look on their faces when we explain that it has a full wrap though....
Old 11-10-2015, 04:08 PM
16'991GT3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, looks amazing, did the customer want it debadged or was the porsche lettering later added on again?
Old 11-10-2015, 05:29 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 16'991GT3
Wow, looks amazing, did the customer want it debadged or was the porsche lettering later added on again?
Yes. Though, we are going back and doing a full body satin clear bra wrap in a few weeks. At that time we will likely add some emblems back.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:09 PM
faztaz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very impressive job. Love that you removed door handles, lights, wing, etc.

Were you able to do the wing and the mounts for the wing in one piece or did you have to break it up into multiple pieces due to the complexity of the curves?

Kudos!

Quick Reply: Full body clear bra, paint correction, coatings and more on a GT3...oh my...