Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RECALL on 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 10:11 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A misfire can affect emissions but I don't see how that could be any attempt to defeat emissions regulations.

As a side thought, for those who are changing exhaust to remove cats you might have issues down the road if local authorities start scrutinizing all VW family vehicles more closely.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:50 AM
cebe
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 139 Posts

I was visiting yesterday the main Porsche workshop in Northern Italy for GT3, RS and Cup cars.

They were performing an engine replacement on a 991 GT3 that had sparkplugs breaking.
I personally saw the damaged sparkplugs with the disintegrated ceramic.
Another car is due for a similar operation soon.
These are cars that did not have the engine replaced during the 2013-2014 fiasco, but were produced after that huge recall.

Sounds like very few 991 GT3 will be matching-number in the years to come ...

One could argue how much profit is really remaining for Porsche on the GT line after all these costs are factored in.
I fear they may have little motivation to keep the NA engines alive for much longer, with this rate of problems and extra costs-liabilities.

They had a recall ongoing also on some 991 RS, but I do not know the reason. One such car was undergoing it.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:02 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
A misfire can affect emissions but I don't see how that could be any attempt to defeat emissions regulations.

As a side thought, for those who are changing exhaust to remove cats you might have issues down the road if local authorities start scrutinizing all VW family vehicles more closely.
Then they should be checking all cars not just VW family. That is one of the issues I have with the whole scandal. All manufacturers should be checked, not just where they know there is an issue. Just my opinion of course.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
That's interesting mate. I dont have access to PWSIS. Any chance you can send it to me?
Hi Macca, anyone can access these docs online for a small fee ($10 for 1-hour if you know exactly what you need), just sign up for an account here and dig around: https://techinfo2.porsche.com/PAGInf...n&uil=en&cc=GB

The misfire at high RPM issue is in the "Technical Information" section once you select a 991 GT3 as the car type.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:27 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just heard heard from my advisor that my 2015, delivered in SoCal in mid-December 2014, will be getting the new parts. He also said though that they don't have them in yet.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:02 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cebe
I was visiting yesterday the main Porsche workshop in Northern Italy for GT3, RS and Cup cars.

They were performing an engine replacement on a 991 GT3 that had sparkplugs breaking.
I personally saw the damaged sparkplugs with the disintegrated ceramic.
Another car is due for a similar operation soon.
These are cars that did not have the engine replaced during the 2013-2014 fiasco, but were produced after that huge recall.

Sounds like very few 991 GT3 will be matching-number in the years to come ...

One could argue how much profit is really remaining for Porsche on the GT line after all these costs are factored in.
I fear they may have little motivation to keep the NA engines alive for much longer, with this rate of problems and extra costs-liabilities.

They had a recall ongoing also on some 991 RS, but I do not know the reason. One such car was undergoing it.
Did they tell you that? From what everyone has been told all 785 2014 models got there engine replaced, even those at the factory that hadn't been completed prior to the recall. Mine was a 7/14 build and I have an engine certificate stating it was replaced.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Hi Macca, anyone can access these docs online for a small fee ($10 for 1-hour if you know exactly what you need), just sign up for an account here and dig around: https://techinfo2.porsche.com/PAGInf...n&uil=en&cc=GB The misfire at high RPM issue is in the "Technical Information" section once you select a 991 GT3 as the car type.
Thanks for that. Unfortunately it doesn't accept payment details from non US registered cards IIRC. I have tried before. Happy to pay the fee and for someone's time to log on and download all the relevant documents and any interesting TSBs on my behalf..,.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2015, 04:49 PM
SMGT3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Was this from BH Porsche?

Originally Posted by LAGinz
Just heard heard from my advisor that my 2015, delivered in SoCal in mid-December 2014, will be getting the new parts. He also said though that they don't have them in yet.
I took delivery on 01/31/2015. Did you happen to go through NH Porsche? Anyway to find out if my car is due for these parts? Did you give them your VIN?

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:26 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Originally Posted by SMGT3
I took delivery on 01/31/2015. Did you happen to go through NH Porsche? Anyway to find out if my car is due for these parts? Did you give them your VIN?

Thanks.
Rusnak Pasadena. Assuming they new my VIN.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:41 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Thanks for that. Unfortunately it doesn't accept payment details from non US registered cards IIRC. I have tried before. Happy to pay the fee and for someone's time to log on and download all the relevant documents and any interesting TSBs on my behalf..,.

Thanks
There is definitely a way to register your account so that its non-US. I had that problem originally and couldn't put in a US address & card. I've got quite a few PIWIS accounts now

LMK if you need me to get on there and grab some docs for you. I could even buy an hour and let you use my credentials so you can get a feel for it yourself.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:49 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
There is definitely a way to register your account so that its non-US. I had that problem originally and couldn't put in a US address & card. I've got quite a few PIWIS accounts now

LMK if you need me to get on there and grab some docs for you. I could even buy an hour and let you use my credentials so you can get a feel for it yourself.
What is the need for your multiple PIWIS accounts??
Old 11-13-2015, 02:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig

Thanks mate. I may be in touch....
Old 11-13-2015, 09:26 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
What is the need for your multiple PIWIS accounts??
My first account was a normal US account where I bought credits to use. Then they stopped using credits and only doing time based access, but I couldn't use up my fractional credit and I couldn't buy time with credits left. So I made another account.

The second account I didn't realize you had to click on some special grey text at the lower part when opening, so its an international account. I can't use my US credit card on that account. So I opened one more account..

The third account is just right. It'll let me use a US card and it doesn't have any credits on it preventing me from buying time based access.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:06 PM
cebe
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Did they tell you that? From what everyone has been told all 785 2014 models got there engine replaced, even those at the factory that hadn't been completed prior to the recall. Mine was a 7/14 build and I have an engine certificate stating it was replaced.
I only meant to say that these two cars that had issues with plugs breaking and engines sizing were built after the recall where the 785 cars had the engines replaced. I do not know if they were MY14 or 15.

My only observation was that if you take into account the original 785 cars with the engine replaced and you add further cars (probably not an insignificant number) with engine replaced for different problems/recalls, then the percentage of 991 GT3 with an engine different from the one they originally had at the time they left the factory is probably already above 25% ... This is very peculiar. And not very positive, neither for the customers nor for PAG.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Then they should be checking all cars not just VW family. That is one of the issues I have with the whole scandal. All manufacturers should be checked, not just where they know there is an issue. Just my opinion of course.
Apparently the EPA agrees with you....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ting/72793818/

Quick Reply: RECALL on 991 GT3