Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

918, um, 917 examples

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 06:02 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How sad, what a terrible accident. Hopefully there will be better safeguards for spectators in the future. I don't know anything about the guy, but he seems like a genuine car guy who happens to be living out his childhood dreams. Good for him! An accident can happen to anyone, no matter skill level, including as we all know, the venerable Walter Rohrl. For those who think something like this could never happen in the US, I disagree. While the track's in the US (I assume most Internationally as well) have very good safeguards in the form of blockades, tire walls, fences etc., this was at an airstrip and the spectators seem like they were allowed to be close to the action. Exciting for the spectators when things go well. But as we saw, very dangerous if something should go awry. But we are not immune to this type of incident in the US. It is common for Spectators to be at the foot of or sometimes even on the course during an offroad race. 8 Spectators were killed in the California 200 offroad race in the Mohave Desert in 2010. Spectators have been injured at Pikes Peak as well. New limitations on viewing have been put in place by Pikes Peak Organizers because of the dangers that used to be part of spectating from many vantage points. The point is, this was preventable, however, so are all motorsports injury/fatalities. But removing all dangers, simply means removing the enjoyment of these sports all together. I'm afraid that because of the inherent risks of motorsports, insurance companies will be insuring less and less of them which means we will have fewer and fewer events to choose to attend, be it spectator or participant.

Quick Reply: 918, um, 917 examples