Sponsored by:

Ruining my resale value

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 09:28 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts
Default Ruining my resale value

So a friend was at an event this weekend with someone who had a GT3 and didn't want to drive it much (trailer to the event, didn't want to drive 100 miles for the back roads driving). When he said "I have a friend with a GT3 with over 7K miles in 9 months" the comment made was that I was ruining resale.

How many people don't realize this is a car? I want to enjoy it. Driving it like it's a museum piece provides no enjoyment at all. It will depreciate, it is not a historic Ferrari. I don't think I will ever understand.

I thought a few folks might get a kick out of the comment. My friend didn't even mention the track miles...
Old 09-21-2015, 09:35 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
So a friend was at an event this weekend with someone who had a GT3 and didn't want to drive it much (trailer to the event, didn't want to drive 100 miles for the back roads driving). When he said "I have a friend with a GT3 with over 7K miles in 9 months" the comment made was that I was ruining resale.

How many people don't realize this is a car? I want to enjoy it. Driving it like it's a museum piece provides no enjoyment at all. It will depreciate, it is not a historic Ferrari. I don't think I will ever understand.

I thought a few folks might get a kick out of the comment. My friend didn't even mention the track miles...
Screw resale value. I'm driving the hellouta my GT3 and loving every minute of it. I'm not saving the car for the next guy, there is no next guy until I'm dead. And, I'm not saving the car so the dealership can get a better deal from the next guy or for a trade-in, the car isn't for sale or for trade in. It's for my indefinite driving pleasure. The only time I care to becareful and not drive the car is because I'm going somewhere that I don't care to park it. I'm at 10.7k after 9 months.

Dan (is Ferris, not Cameron's dumb dad)
Old 09-21-2015, 09:41 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

If resale value is really important then don't buy it. It is a depreciating asset. The more you depreciate it, the more fun you have to compensate for the loss.
How long will you be alive? And dead? Do the math.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:04 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

My car must be worth **** now. Maybe less.

Over 10k on the ODO.

And proud of it.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:06 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 517 Posts

I've written this before, but it put things in perspective for me.

I used to keep my cars in the garage and drive them on weekends, only when the weather was great. Did it with my 993TT, my Aston and finally started driving a lot more with my R8. Sold the 993tt and Aston for a decent amount (although Astons depreciate like rocks - shame). Wished I would have spent more time driving them.

Here's how I started looking at things:

If eat at fine dining restaurants. Three to four hours, hundreds of dollars - more with good wine. 6-8 hours later it all ends up going down the drain - literally. That's 100% depreciation in 12 hours. Do that once a week for a year and that's a fair amount of money. (I'm a glutton, yes).

Drive your car whenever you want. Enjoy the crap out of it (no pun intended). Sell it when you're tired of it and want something new or keep it maintained and enjoy it forever. It's still a better value than eating at a fine restaurant.

Would you order the best food in the world and just stare at it?

Drive it.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:11 PM
tradervic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never even washed it.

Today, I hesitantly washed the hood...

Old 09-21-2015, 10:13 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
Screw resale value. I'm driving the hellouta my GT3 and loving every minute of it. I'm not saving the car for the next guy, there is no next guy until I'm dead. And, I'm not saving the car so the dealership can get a better deal from the next guy or for a trade-in, the car isn't for sale or for trade in. It's for my indefinite driving pleasure. The only time I care to becareful and not drive the car is because I'm going somewhere that I don't care to park it. I'm at 10.7k after 9 months.

+1
Old 09-21-2015, 10:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Makes no sense to me unless

1) You bought a car you can't afford and expect to sell it with minimal/no loss, which is dumb
2) You bought a car as a investment, which is dumb.

I get that some people don't have the time or ability to take the car out as much as they would like, so the mileage remains low. That makes sense. However, to purposely not drive the car? No, I don't get it.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:17 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by tradervic
I've never even washed it. Today, I hesitantly washed the hood...
Washing it risks scratching it
Old 09-21-2015, 10:17 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Agree with all the statements made. Unless something dramatic happens, my plan is to keep this car forever.

I was invited to go to the drive, if I had gone I'm not sure what I would have said to him. I may have just laughed, who knows. I can't imagine not driving this car and shifting at 9K RPM.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:23 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

If you were worried about resale you wouldn't track your car.

I'm not worried about resale.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:50 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by tradervic
I've never even washed it.

Today, I hesitantly washed the hood...

That's awesomeness. Change those winkers to clears for me though
Old 09-21-2015, 10:51 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm

You rock.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:58 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

My GT3 has been locked away in storage, under a cover since last Tuesday. My goal is not to drive it once until the Smokies event next Thursday. I'm abstaining and it's driving me insane.

The only reason I am doing this is because I believe it will make the Smokies event that much better if I haven't driven her in a while.

Just checked espn - Vegas line on me leaving it in storage (3 miles from my house) is 3 more days. Not sure I can go the whole time. That's 11 more days. It's been a fun experiment. I've bonded with the M4 lately though, which is a good thing.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:16 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

My 15 GT3, 9 months on the clock, turned 7000 mi. on the way to Mid-Ohio last Thursday. It was my check ride for the Fall Smokies event. While I enjoy looking at it I enjoy it far more while driving it.

Quick Reply: Ruining my resale value