Sponsored by:

Windshield protection film?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 06:46 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Windshield protection film?

after the smokies trip my windshield took a chip and a bunch of pits. Well I'm getting a new windshield next week and was thinking of doing a protection film like clear plex. Has anyone done this on your GT3? If so, what brand?how's The clarity? Distortion? Did your paint protection film guy install it and roughly how much was the install.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:21 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey meaker, was so glad to have film on the windshield during the Spring Smokies event; he onslaught from the rocks was brutal. We have an anti-graffiti film from Suntek. It was reasonable, $200, but it looks funny from the outside, kind of streaky even after several washes and cleanings with invisible glass.

I have no direct experience with Clearplex. Before I had this film installed, I found the DIY Clearplex kit for about $200. I asked here on the forum and was told the installation is much harder than the YouTube video leads one to believe.

When my current film is beat enough to require replacement I am definitely going DIY Clearplex.

Ryan
Old 05-29-2015, 07:25 PM
991RDC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same guy that did my SunTek paint protection do the ClearPlex, installed $400. I have saved replacing my windshield twice. It's works well and depending on how much your car is outside with clarity over time. I usually replace it every 18 months. Clarity is good with this product and I don't notice much distortion. Make sure you get a good installer, it makes a difference with the finish product.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:31 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 991RDC
Make sure you get a good installer, it makes a difference with the finish product.
Just to be clear, the guys who installed mine are professionals that are well respected here on the forum for Xpel installs. The specific installer who did my car actually installs this product for professional race teams.

So, yes the installer makes a difference, but so does the product. If you have installed some clear film or vinyl in the past I think you can do a passible job on a Clearplex DIY install.

Ryan
Old 05-29-2015, 08:21 PM
991RDC
Instructor

Originally Posted by reidry
Just to be clear, the guys who installed mine are professionals that are well respected here on the forum for Xpel installs. The specific installer who did my car actually installs this product for professional race teams.

So, yes the installer makes a difference, but so does the product. If you have installed some clear film or vinyl in the past I think you can do a passible job on a Clearplex DIY install.

Ryan
Agreed Ryan,
I just personally prefer someone that does it all the time. I don't have the patience for the prep work involved with this install.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:09 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Clearplex works really well.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:44 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Installed Cleaplex. You can see the streaks but not too bad. You get used to it after a while. It took 3 tries and still had bubbles (caused by dust) in multiple spots which was a eye sore but I got tired of going back. I will do it again when RS arrives.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:54 PM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three of us tried Clearplex and it was terrible on all three. Fitment was off on each one and they weren't preshrunk enough.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:15 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had Clearplex on my Gt3s now. It helps on the track as well as in DD. just use non ammonia cleaner like Griot's or 3M. Once a month or so use a sealant cream. Custom install all the way to the edge of glass helps prevent a failure from an edge hit. They guarantee the film will take a pit from a strike but underlying glass will be ok. No spidering.
Now 400 for the install. Had it done same time as XPEL. Full front,extended rockers and increased coverage around rear wheel. They removed skimpy oem standard stone guards car came with.

Last edited by seapar; 05-30-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:48 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Clearplex on, professionally installed. It works.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:31 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have Clearplex on two cars, and it works fine. Some minor distortion, but doesn't affect safety. I found most clear film guys don't want to install Clearplex as its thicker, and involved a bit of different process.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:40 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Make sure there are no issues if you wear polorized glasses.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:52 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I might be dealing with a lil distortion but nothing to crazy. My biggest problem is finding a local installer and one that is good. Nearest dealing to Charlotte is 2 hours away and I have no idea if they are good. Would consider driving to Altanta for a good installer but not sure who down they that's good does clearplex.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:32 AM
rm21
Rennlist Member

I had my original clearplex install done when I picked up my car in NC. Not good. Dealer paid for a redo in the Atlanta area where I live. Allprowindowtinting in Canton GA did the work and it was fantastic. Couldn't believe how clean it looked. A good installer is key. I've had two big stones hit the windshield and I don't think it would have survived either without the clearplex. Also, the Smokies trip was brutal on the car. Far worse than any of my track days. I'm going to put some track tape on the car for the fall trip!
Old 05-31-2015, 09:27 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I might be dealing with a lil distortion but nothing to crazy. My biggest problem is finding a local installer and one that is good. Nearest dealing to Charlotte is 2 hours away and I have no idea if they are good. Would consider driving to Altanta for a good installer but not sure who down they that's good does clearplex.
Derek at Atlanta Pro Films recommended his in house tint installer. PM if you'd like the contact. Derek does great work on clear bras, as evidenced by several members here. I have never used his window guy, but assume he does great work if he and Derek have a business relationship.

Quick Reply: Windshield protection film?