Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New PCCB and Track days – Facts Feedback Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 05:01 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craig: do they squeal at all during street driving? Any downsides vs. stock pads?
Old 10-09-2015, 05:12 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sold quite a few of these...no easy answer for you... ranges from quieter than stock to more noise than stock, really does vary. I am out at office right now, look up RSC1 on the 997 gt3 forum for a customer analysis...well done I recall with a complete writeup
Old 10-09-2015, 11:49 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,764 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowPMan
12 track days in the Turbo s and sold back to dealer...offered a great price..took the deal and very happy...3 days later dealer principle called to say I had cooked the ceramics on all 4 corners ...asked for a contribution to the costs !!!! Here in UK...we have a Sold as Seen so really they should have given the car a check before paying me...he showed me the discs and yes they were bad ...
First mod on the RS before I track it will be to put the pccbs in a box till I sell the car !!!
Originally Posted by YellowPMan
I did the 2014 gumball ... Edinburgh to Ibiza so 2500 hard miles but highway miles ... Some aggressive breaking obviously .. And maybe 2300-2500 track miles ..car was sold with 9400 total miles ...I said the exact same thing to the dealer ask Porsche for the contribution !!

Based on the above usage, how many sets of iron rotors would you estimate you would have needed?
Old 10-09-2015, 11:57 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Based on the above usage, how many sets of iron rotors would you estimate you would have needed?
At 12 track days and remainder street miles, is guess he'd just be on his second set of front rotors when he sold the car.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:34 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Probably a good guess. GT cars running 380mm iron disks at Le Mans cover up to 2800 track miles, some with no disk changes. I also wouldn't expect a pad to disk change ratio of less than 3:1, so with just 6 pad changes the 2nd iron disc set would be my guess as well...
Old 10-10-2015, 06:25 AM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Probably a good guess. GT cars running 380mm iron disks at Le Mans cover up to 2800 track miles, some with no disk changes. I also wouldn't expect a pad to disk change ratio of less than 3:1, so with just 6 pad changes the 2nd iron disc set would be my guess as well...
Correct 3 pad sets then rotor change ...luckily got allocation for RS ..but had it mind to swap to steels ...got out of the turbo s just in time ...makes a change normally get big bill just before selling !!!
Old 10-10-2015, 11:21 AM
justthebest
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow.

What a thread. Just read it all.

I was / am a little hesitant about carbon ceramics (of any brand) on track cars, as their replacement costs are significant (as documented here).

Since there is this great resource (in the form of this thread), I will start to contribute what info I can. I have a '15 GT3 coming in a week or two, and I recently took delivery of a '16 Turbo S. I will ask the great tech that'll work on the cars (exclusively) to measure religiously and explain the process of measurement to me.

Thanks all for posting / contributing.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:28 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

Ok, here we go, Porsche tells me, it is time to replace my front PCCB rotors! This is a picture of passenger side rotor, driver's side inside of rotor is worse.
Dealer does not have density tester, actually nobody does.
Help me should i replace or not???

Attachment 980769

Last edited by Karl911; 01-31-2021 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:38 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
Ok, here we go, Porsche tells me, it is time to replace my front PCCB rotors! This is a picture of passenger side rotor, driver's side inside of rotor is worse.
They look like they've been chipped (either while replacing a wheel or by a rock caught between the rotor and wheel). If the dealer has been the only ones removing and replacing your wheels (i.e. all service has been done there), you might be able to make a case for them to replace them under a "damage warranty" (they break 'em, they buy 'em). Surface looks fine, other than that. Without a density tester, the only other way to tell is to take them off and weigh them.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:17 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How many miles on these rotors?

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 10-11-2015, 03:23 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,764 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
They look like they've been chipped (either while replacing a wheel or by a rock caught between the rotor and wheel). If the dealer has been the only ones removing and replacing your wheels (i.e. all service has been done there), you might be able to make a case for them to replace them under a "damage warranty" (they break 'em, they buy 'em). Surface looks fine, other than that. Without a density tester, the only other way to tell is to take them off and weigh them.
Agreed.

That doesn't look like normal wear and tear.

And how is it possible the Porsche dealer doesn't have a density tester?
Old 10-11-2015, 04:07 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

I have never seen a worn gen 3 rotor before, so I'm guessing. Zooming in on the lower right brake hole makes me think this isn't chipping from the edge. You can clearly see that hole is no longer round, and it looks like a chunk of ceramic has shifted to make it so.

A PCCB rotor fails because the carbon strands burn away, leaving the ceramic unsupported. Like concrete without rebar, unsupported ceramic is weak. We may be seeing it begin to disintegrate, both at the edge and elsewhere.

Assuming you can't get the car to a dealer with the proper tool, I would probably change the rotors, have them carefully boxed up, then send them to someplace that does have the tool (guys here can suggest a few places). You stay on the safe side and insure you're not making an expensive mistake. As a practical matter if they come back with only a little life you might try for a discount from the dealer / Porsche because they screwed up...
Old 10-11-2015, 04:28 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

Here is another picture.
The density test cost $7K
i am going to call Champion, the largest dealer in the USA, tomorrow and see if they have a density tester. If they do not have one, nobody will but maybe Porsche USA.
Also. need a second opionion
!Attachment 980860

Last edited by Karl911; 01-31-2021 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:32 PM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 62 Posts

Many here had their disks checked

I'll have mine checked before next HPDE (sadly next spring...)

My dealer was talking about +-1 hour labor with their machine to do the job...

7K$ Seriously? Change dealer
Old 10-11-2015, 11:11 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

All dealers are supposed to have the density meter, its part of the deal. I agree, go to another dealer. My service guys check my rotors every other set of tires. They include it in the price of the tires, mounting and balancing. It gives them experience using it, so its mutually beneficial.

Quick Reply: New PCCB and Track days – Facts Feedback Thread