Sponsored by:

Need some help re: Headlights and delamination

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 12:20 AM
rage2122
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help re: Headlights and delamination

So it seems I've found myself in a bind. Took delivery of my GT3 and dropped it off at a well known local installer yesterday to have the front end covered in film. We decided to cover the lights but I was a bit hesitant on it.

Fast forward to this morning. I messaged the installer that if it was not too late I would pass on wrapping the lights as I found the threads on delamination and sent them his way.

I got a call tonight and it seems he had already covered the lights when we had our exchange earlier in the day. He never mentioned them already being wrapped in the exchange and instead tried to remove the film which resulted in delamination. So his solution was to take them to a body shop he trusts which sounds like they're going to do the equivalent of a headlight restore by removing the remaining UV coating, polish and apply a fresh clearcoat to the lens.

He genuinely sounded like he is trying to do the right thing but I'm pretty freaked out at this point. The installer believes it will look perfect when they're done.

How screwed am I and outside of the "OMG demand new headlights" reaction any technical things I should look for or major concerns that could result from polishing and applying a new clearcoat to the lights.

Any advice or info would really help a ton as 3 days into having the car this is not what I would have imagined worrying about.

Additionally they're LED headlights and am I correct on the roughly 4k cost to replace the set?

Last edited by rage2122; 03-11-2015 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Update
Old 03-11-2015, 12:27 AM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not get my headlights covered because of this issue, but I discussed it with a couple of installers. I was told that they could be restored to like new condition by the process that you described if delamination occurred. I think you should be fine.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:34 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Sorry for your trouble and thanks for sharing the story with us as it at least confirms that putting film on the headlights is not a good idea. Maybe it will save someone else the angst of discovering it's a no-no before it's too late.

I guess you could argue that the installer should have told you that he'd already covered the lights and that it should have been your choice as to what to do next. OTOH, you did give the ok for him to do it in the first place.

From your post it sounds as though the process being used to repair the finish is not the same as the coating the factory puts on, IOW a clear coat instead of a UV coating. If true, I have no idea if that will make any difference long term. Maybe you should wait and at least see how it looks before taking the next step. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:04 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Sorry what did I miss?
Seen dozens of cars all covered head lights, no problem??

To OP, if you are freaked out, peel it off?
Old 03-11-2015, 01:04 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

If you initially agreed on doing the lights, I don't think you can be real picky. I would accept the process he is undertaking and see how the lights turn out.

If you told him you were hesitant and undecided and he went ahead and did them, I would ask for replacement OEM headlights ($4K).
Old 03-11-2015, 01:06 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Sorry what did I miss?
Seen dozens of cars all covered head lights, no problem??

To OP, if you are freaked out, peel it off?
Peter, the 991 headlights are different. Porsche uses a harder UV protective coating now. If you cover the lights with wrap, they are prone to peeling and the surface delaminates. Different than 997. Most expert installers will not put wrap on the 991 headlights.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:09 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I would, head lights have no chance of survival without bra.
I drive less in the dark than on track.
If OP does not track , no biggie take it off.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:33 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my lights covered but first I had to sign or be made aware of the potential delamination issue. They also said the headlights can be refinished/ recoated so it's not a big deal. But YMMV.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:21 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Same...but I did not have to sign anything.

Originally Posted by seapar
I had my lights covered but first I had to sign or be made aware of the potential delamination issue. They also said the headlights can be refinished/ recoated so it's not a big deal. But YMMV.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:32 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I would, head lights have no chance of survival without bra.
I drive less in the dark than on track.
If OP does not track , no biggie take it off.
Uhhh....take what off? My understanding is he did take off the film and that's what caused the problem.

If you put film on the headlights to protect them from pitting on track, and then ruin the finish on the headlight anyway when you eventually take off the track damaged film, what's the point of the exercise? Pitting or delamination; take your pick, I guess....
Old 03-11-2015, 11:33 AM
rage2122
Intermediate

Thanks for the info and advice.

I'll report back how it turns out but hopefully it's just as simple as the refinishing and covering them with film to get back to clear w/ uv protection.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:43 PM
super90ish
Track Day

I wanted to change mine from halogen to led and was quoted 6k in parts alone
Old 03-11-2015, 01:17 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

From the sound of it you should be fine....
Old 03-11-2015, 02:43 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

IIRC the owners manual indicates not to wrap the lights. I would let your guy try to work his magic. If he fails then I would request him to put on a new OEM set.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:55 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
IIRC the owners manual indicates not to wrap the lights. I would let your guy try to work his magic. If he fails then I would request him to put on a new OEM set.
That is correct...wrap your lights and face the consequences..

Quick Reply: Need some help re: Headlights and delamination