Sponsored by:

Lemon law/ buy back car

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 12:28 PM
G55amg
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lemon law/ buy back car

I was looking at a car for sale but it has a buyback on the car fax.
What do you guys think on buying one of this cars?
Also this car is GT silver and there is a post here with a list of buy backs car but
The list post it show no cars in GT silver
Was there any other cars beside the cars on that list?
Old 02-13-2015, 12:38 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by G55amg
Also this car is GT silver and there is a post here with a list of buy backs car but
I wouldn't buy a car with a branded title unless you plan to keep it forever.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:22 PM
G55amg
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you
Old 02-13-2015, 01:27 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you know why it was a buy back? Is this one of the 2014 cars which PCNA agreed to buy back after the engine exchange program? If so, while there is a "stigma" to those that do not know, maybe it could be a good deal.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:28 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Would need a major discount to even think about getting involved.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:58 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Plenty of people on here with a 2014 with a replaced engine. Most likely there is no difference from those cars other than the fact the original purchaser didn't want to keep it. That said it is your choice what you want to do. Personally I would do it if i didn't already have a 2015 in my garage...
Old 02-13-2015, 03:08 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I wouldn't buy a car with a branded title unless you plan to keep it forever.
Details matter here. The fact that it notes 'buyback' status on the Carfax does not mean it has a branded title necessarily. You need to confirm that. If the actual title is tainted then of course a steep discount should apply.

The engine replacement issue affected numerous 2014 models at the start of the model run. Some were in customers hands, others were in Porsche's hands somewhere in their finished car delivery supply chain when the replacement program was put into effect.

The fact that the engines were replaced also yielded an additional year of warranty and a PAG certificate noting same. My car had just left the factory, was sitting there waiting to be loaded onto the ocean transport, and it was called back for engine replacement at the factory. Other cars already in owners hands were brought back to the dealer on flatbeds and the local dealer service department replaced the engine.

These cars should be absolutely fine performance wise and as noted above they come with full warranty. Some fraction of potential future used buyers of this model may know of the issue and they may want to stay away from these cars. Depends how much that matters to you.

You can decide what you want to do but these are the fine points.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:56 PM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Details matter here. The fact that it notes 'buyback' status on the Carfax does not mean it has a branded title necessarily. You need to confirm that. If the actual title is tainted then of course a steep discount should apply.

The engine replacement issue affected numerous 2014 models at the start of the model run. Some were in customers hands, others were in Porsche's hands somewhere in their finished car delivery supply chain when the replacement program was put into effect.

The fact that the engines were replaced also yielded an additional year of warranty and a PAG certificate noting same. My car had just left the factory, was sitting there waiting to be loaded onto the ocean transport, and it was called back for engine replacement at the factory. Other cars already in owners hands were brought back to the dealer on flatbeds and the local dealer service department replaced the engine.

These cars should be absolutely fine performance wise and as noted above they come with full warranty. Some fraction of potential future used buyers of this model may know of the issue and they may want to stay away from these cars. Depends how much that matters to you.

You can decide what you want to do but these are the fine points.
Agree with the above. Carfax shows a buyback on my car, but my title is clear. If you decide to buy and it's from a dealer, I'd get it in writing that they will not penalize you for future trade in value based on the carfax buyback indicator. Just for future leverage.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:07 PM
grendel88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is all about asset depreciation and flexibility, which means it is something balanced between how much you pay for the car, how long you plan to keep it, and the most subjective, how much pleasure will you get out of it. It will be harder to sell in the future, more so in five years as opposed to ten years. To maximize value, you need to either get extra depreciation mitigated with a discount or don't give a sh*t and enjoy the car. These are toys and they have opportunity costs.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:07 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpacione
If you decide to buy and it's from a dealer, I'd get it in writing that they will not penalize you for future trade in value based on the carfax buyback indicator. Just for future leverage.
Good luck with that!
The following users liked this post:
MotoJB (11-08-2019)
Old 02-13-2015, 04:17 PM
3point9liters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grendel88
It is all about asset depreciation and flexibility, which means it is something balanced between how much you pay for the car, how long you plan to keep it, and the most subjective, how much pleasure will you get out of it. It will be harder to sell in the future, more so in five years as opposed to ten years. To maximize value, you need to either get extra depreciation mitigated with a discount or don't give a sh*t and enjoy the car. These are toys and they have opportunity costs.
Fully agree. To op, find out more details first.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:51 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Every 2014 model GT3 had the engine replaced. There were a group that Porsche bought back from unhappy buyers - those are the ones with potentially branded titles.

Those who kept their 2014's even though they were not allowed to drive them for months, were rewarded with some cash and an extra year of warranty. I do not know if the buyback cars also include any additional warranty - check on that for sure, or get them to CPO it.

The bottom line - the buyback cars are no different than any other 2014 GT3. However, in the future, they will have the stigma of that entry on the CarFax which may or may not affect the resale or trade value. It likely won't matter to those who know the entire story. It likely will to the uninformed.

Also, with most new GT3's selling at or near MSRP, I doubt a dealer would offer a significant discount, even on a buyback 'lemon' car. They will have no trouble finding a buyer. What happens to that buyer in a few years may be another story.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:21 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Every 2014 model GT3 had the engine replaced. There were a group that Porsche bought back from unhappy buyers - those are the ones with potentially branded titles.

Those who kept their 2014's even though they were not allowed to drive them for months, were rewarded with some cash and an extra year of warranty. I do not know if the buyback cars also include any additional warranty - check on that for sure, or get them to CPO it.

The bottom line - the buyback cars are no different than any other 2014 GT3. However, in the future, they will have the stigma of that entry on the CarFax which may or may not affect the resale or trade value. It likely won't matter to those who know the entire story. It likely will to the uninformed.

Also, with most new GT3's selling at or near MSRP, I doubt a dealer would offer a significant discount, even on a buyback 'lemon' car. They will have no trouble finding a buyer. What happens to that buyer in a few years may be another story.
Yes. A dealer near me themselves bought a buy back car, prepped it, and then resold it at MSRP within a single day of listing it for sale last December. It had about 1300 miles on it.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:36 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Yes. A dealer near me themselves bought a buy back car, prepped it, and then resold it at MSRP within a single day of listing it for sale last December. It had about 1300 miles on it.
Sure, and the dealer of course didn't advertise or emphasize that the car had a branded title, assuming that it did. However, if you take that car to a dealer in the future, you are just giving them an excuse to beat you up on the trade because of the branded title. That's just the way it works in car sales. Branded title = trouble at trade time. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the car.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:14 PM
U OLD DOG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G55amg
There are better option than a buyback/branded title 2014 GT3; there are at least four 2015 for sale by owner vehicles on the market… DON’T BUY A LEMON VEHICLE!!!

Quick Reply: Lemon law/ buy back car