Sponsored by:

PCCB wear on track

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 03:33 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Default PCCB wear on track

I'm wondering if using PCCB brakes on the track will wear out so quickly that I will be regretting buying them since replacement costs are "high"

I understand on the street they last longer then steel but does anyone have any experience with how long they last on the track?
Old 10-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

According to Porsche the new generation PCCB's taken directly from the 918 are supposed to have "greatly increased wear resistance" over the old version due to a much higher percentage of ceramic material in the discs. I doubt any owner has enough track miles on a set, however, to know whether that is true or not. Would be very curious to know myself....
Old 10-02-2014, 03:40 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
the new generation PCCB's taken directly from the 918
Is this what is being installed on the 2015 GT3?
Old 10-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by jlanka
Is this what is being installed on the 2015 GT3?
On both the 2014 and 2015 GT3's when you choose PCCB's....yes.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Dlff
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know the 991 GT3 Cup uses steel same size as the road going GT3. That will tell you something isn't it.
Cheers mate!
Old 10-02-2014, 03:46 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts

In the past this option was pretty much to be avoided if you tracked the car. There were many horrid stories of PCCB's melting burning up at the track after a very limited number of track days. You had to be very very careful with cool down and pad depth. No one has tracked the new ones significantly BUT being very close to a major Porsche Cup team I have heard that this gen is no better and should be avoided for heavy tracking also.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:47 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dlff
As far as I know the 991 GT3 Cup uses steel same size as the road going GT3. That will tell you something isn't it.
Cheers mate!
PFC rotors, pads and fluid. Since 2012.5 and 2013 officially.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:47 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
In the past this option was pretty much to be avoided if you tracked the car. There were many horrid stories of PCCB's melting burning up at the track after a very limited number of track days. You had to be very very careful with cool down and pad depth. No one has tracked the new ones significantly BUT being very close to a major Porsche Cup team I have heard that this gen is no better and should be avoided for heavy tracking also.
pretty much what I figured.

Question: What constitutes "heavy tracking"?
Old 10-02-2014, 03:51 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

I'll make it easier-in the past they sucked and should be avoided. If you are going to be tracking the car avoid them.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by jlanka
pretty much what I figured.

Question: What constitutes "heavy tracking"?
This is why I answered your original question the way I did. Fact: the brakes are different than they used to be. If people want to make assumptions about the performance of the new brakes based on the performance of the old that's fine, but it's not definitive.

You ask a very valid question. Again, we can make assumptions based on old information, but there are a number of new variables that might change the answer. I plan to do a dozen or so autocrosses a year, maybe a DE or two and street driving. I was confident PCCB's would handle that based on the fact that guys I know with even the old PCCB's have found them to wear fine with similar use. But if you plan an extensive track schedule, the risk of premature wear and the large associated cost for replacement, may make them a bad choice for you since we don't know yet how well the new rotors will last.

The bottom line is, until we have hard data from actual users of the new brakes, not the old ones, it's all speculation. My $.02.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:43 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't speak to the 991 specifically, but I can speak about the 997.2 cars on PCCBs. I tracked my RS extensively and vigorously. It came with the PCCBs, so I ran them for maybe three sets of pads.

The pads wear very quickly. My estimate is roughly half life of a comparable pad on a cast iron rotor (please don't use the term steel - they are not). This was due to two issues. One, the rotor is a lot harder, therefore the pad took most of the wear. Second, you never want to run them down past 1/4 remaining thickness, as the rivet that secures the pad material onto the backing plate will machine into the rotor and ruin it. If you were to do this on a cast iron rotor, you can easily machine it smooth again.

The other problem I encountered is chipping of the rotor due to flying debris (rocks). And, of course it's very easy to chip or crack them in the course of taking off/on the caliper and/ or the wheel.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

It will depend on your driving style. With the last generation of PCCB's, the worst I heard of was destroying a set of front rotors in two track weekends. If you are in a beginner group or on a more technical track, they may last years.

Only time will tell. Who will be the first to risk nearly $20k in rotors??

Although I did find this on the Suncoast site referring to PCCB rotors: "Factory rotors come with a 2-year unlimited mileage warranty, all warranty claims must be reviewed and processed by your local dealer." Not sure if that applies to original rotors, replacements, or what. Also, I imagine the warranty would not apply if track use was suspected. Again, who wants to be first to find out?
Old 10-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I can't speak to the 991 specifically, but I can speak about the 997.2 cars on PCCBs. I tracked my RS extensively and vigorously. It came with the PCCBs, so I ran them for maybe three sets of pads.

The pads wear very quickly. My estimate is roughly half life of a comparable pad on a cast iron rotor (please don't use the term steel - they are not). This was due to two issues. One, the rotor is a lot harder, therefore the pad took most of the wear. Second, you never want to run them down past 1/4 remaining thickness, as the rivet that secures the pad material onto the backing plate will machine into the rotor and ruin it. If you were to do this on a cast iron rotor, you can easily machine it smooth again.

The other problem I encountered is chipping of the rotor due to flying debris (rocks). And, of course it's very easy to chip or crack them in the course of taking off/on the caliper and/ or the wheel.
How long did the rotors last ??
Old 10-02-2014, 05:04 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Thanks for all the replies. I'm tending toward changing my build to "cast Iron" brakes. Then maybe 6 months down the road I will look into the MovIt brakes, which sound great but I want to be sure they work as advertised since it is a big nut.

Any more opinions please keep them coming
Old 10-02-2014, 06:49 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you plan on tracking it hard and regularly I would recommend the steels for their lower replacement cost. PCCBs brake pads do wear out in as quickly as 5000 kms if driven hard on a track. And eventually the brake discs would need replacement too, which would be a very painful expense. For street driving Pccbs last a very long time.

Quick Reply: PCCB wear on track