Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 12:16 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at alternatives to the GT3....nothing does it for me.
On the bright side I got a 2014 C4S cab pimped to drive until my baby gets out. Weather in Texas now is best for a cab
Old 04-11-2014, 12:21 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77
Allan, if you (and others) are serious about wanting to keep your car, if I were you, I would start making a lots of noise to the dealership / PCNA about the fact that somebody in the Middle East (me) got 2 years additional warranty instead of 1 and 12,000 USD cash for the period from 20 February to (expected) end of May (say: 3 months) with an possible additional cash payment (to be discussed in due time) if the estimated fix date by end of May isn't met.

If you don't, take your money and run.

Personally, after I made up my mind that I will put up with the additional wait for my car to be repaired, I also decided that I wanted to get the best possible deal out of doing so. Partially because I'm a business man and I do enjoy such negotiations (sorry...), mostly because due to all the issues encountered (6 months late delivery and now this) and how these were (poorly) handled, Porsche expertly managed to change this transaction from an emotional (as such car purchases normally are) into a rational one.

The moment I no longer like where this is going, I can still walk. Get my money back and keep on driving my Fiat. And live happily ever after. But I will never buy a Porsche again. Out of principle. Not that they care... I know.
I have to agree with TomTom, and especially about the double standards. Why would they offer $4k per month and 2 yr warranty for people in Dubai and a semi- guaranteed completion date before end of May and we are getting roughly half of this offer. I always said I will wait for Porsche to make this right and fair, and I honestly don't see fair treatment here. I was on the phone with some friends within PCNA and Porsche for most of today, and all said that if it was them getting this offer they would just ask for their money back. They also pointed out Porsche does not really want to buy the cars back, although they are making the offer but they will do everything in their power to avoid it. They indicated in most cases Porsche will end up paying between $12 to $15k to reimburse you for the taxes you paid, and they would of course lose the profit the dealers already made on the cars, and won't give back which is around 15%, or $20-$25k, then most of these returned cars will go to an auction and sold as wholesale which is most likely would cost them yet another $15-30k depending on mileage, not of course counting other expenses you paid like in my case winter tire set, and other tools to change & torque central lock wheels. Even if they try to have the Porsche dealership resell the cars, they still must allow another 10-15% profit for the dealership and no guarantees what they will sell the car at. So Porsche could be looking easily between $50k - $70k loss per car if they make you whole again, but of course they are attempting to resolve this by offering us $6-$8k to make all of this go away. This argument came from my friends who work at Porsche after hearing the details of the offer and as friends just wanted to bring my attention to few details.
Here is my take on this, I don't want to take advantage of Porsche nor expect to get rich as a result of an unfortunate situation, but I do expect them to treat me fairly and offer me the same treatment they are offering others such as TomTom. All I am saying, I still want the car, but I won't accept a double standards and will fight as hell to make this right....Mark

Last edited by mqandil; 04-11-2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:25 AM
JLG
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...tory?track=rss
Old 04-11-2014, 12:26 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
I have to agree with TomTom, and especially about the double standards. Why would they offer $4k per month and 2 yr warranty for people in Dubai and a semi- guaranteed completion date before end of May and we are getting roughly half of this offer. I always said I will wait for Porsche to make this right and fair, and I honestly don't see fair treatment here. I was on the phone with some friends within PCNA and Porsche for most of today, and all said that if it was them getting this offer they would just ask for their money back. They also pointed out Porsche does not really want to buy the cars back, although they are making the offer but they will do everything in their power to avoid it. They indicated in most cases Porsche will end up paying between $12 to $15k to reimburse you for the taxes you paid, and they would of course lose the profit the dealers made on the cars which is around 15%, or $20-$25k, then most of these returned cars will go to an auction and sold as wholesale which is most likely would cost them yet another $15-30k depending on mileage, not of course counting other expenses you paid like in my case winter tire set, and other tools to change & torque central lock wheels. Even if they try to have the Porsche dealership sell the cars, they still must allow another 10-15% profit for the dealership and no guarantees what they will sell the car at. So Porsche could be looking easily at $50 - $70k loss per car if they make you whole again, but of course they are attempting to resolve this by offering us $6-$8k to make all of this go away. This argument came from my friends who work at Porsche after hearing the details of the offer and as friends just wanted to bring my attention to few details. Here is my take on this, I don't want to take advantage of Porsche nor expect to get rich as a result of an unfortunate situation, but I do expect them to treat me fairly and offer me the same treatment they are offering others such as TomTom. All I am saying, I still want the car, but I won't accept a double standard and will fight as hell to make this right....Mark
Mark--that is very valuable info and incredibly well reasoned. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:00 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

With the greatest of respect, Porsche are naturally not going to be even handed here. In Dubai, there are a handful of very wealthy, repeat customers to appease and thus their exposure is less, not to mention the cars cost a lot more. In the US, there are over 130 delivered cars, thus exposure is far more significant... Compensation will naturally reflect profitability in each region. Whilst you may not necessarily agree, US customers get cars at significantly reduced prices relative to the ROW, presumably as it's a volume market. If they make significantly less from each sale to the US, surely they can't be expected to compensate at the same level.

In our market we pay Us$300k for the car ($100k of which is taxes). That's $65k over your base price for the same toy ex taxes. I'd be far happier on $2k comp per month after a $135k purchase as opposed to a $4k comp on a $300k purchase, no??? Basically, you can't have your cake and eat it too... If you get less comp now, just keep in mind that you also probably paid half as much as you Dubai counterparts.

Compensation will be what it will be... It's up to each individual to decide if that is adequate or hand their car back and walk away...
Old 04-11-2014, 01:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris. Just a couple of corrections there.

In UAE the 991 GT3 is almost exactly the same price as the USA. Infact I stand corrected but it could be a tad cheaper.

I think you are confused with Singapore.

In UAE you may be surprised to know that many of the 991 GT3 customers on this board who purchased the GT3 from Duabai are not serial repeat customers and infact stand suprised such generous comp was offered.

Lastly Dubai is a HUGE market for PAG relative to populace size. I do believe around 30+ 991 GT3 have been sold in Dubai alone let alone the other UAE states and over 20 I believe already delivered.

Small markets like NZ, Australia and SA stand to be treated with UK as second rate citizens in this senario I suspect.

The mindset you summarise in the last sentence is partly why consumers in small markets like ours have been shafted to date.

I know you are not a stake holder in the current 991 GT3 "debacle" but of you were I think you might feel differently regards the comp. More proactive.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:19 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rox
With the greatest of respect, Porsche are naturally not going to be even handed here. In Dubai, there are a handful of very wealthy, repeat customers to appease and thus their exposure is less, not to mention the cars cost a lot more. In the US, there are over 130 delivered cars, thus exposure is far more significant... Compensation will naturally reflect profitability in each region. Whilst you may not necessarily agree, US customers get cars at significantly reduced prices relative to the ROW, presumably as it's a volume market. If they make significantly less from each sale to the US, surely they can't be expected to compensate at the same level.

In our market we pay Us$300k for the car ($100k of which is taxes). That's $65k over your base price for the same toy ex taxes. I'd be far happier on $2k comp per month after a $135k purchase as opposed to a $4k comp on a $300k purchase, no??? Basically, you can't have your cake and eat it too... If you get less comp now, just keep in mind that you also probably paid half as much as you Dubai counterparts.

Compensation will be what it will be... It's up to each individual to decide if that is adequate or hand their car back and walk away...
Chris... I am one of the fortunate people whose company has a branch office in Dubai and we own several Porsche cars there too. We generally buy the Porsche cars there slightly cheaper than the US and guess what there is no Sales Tax. Although there are few rich people in Dubai, but the majority of people buying these cars are Ex-pats who are from Europe or the States like myself and the US gets far more allocation than Dubai. In other words not much different than the US and even less profit, and yet better compensation. It could be for the illusion they have more money, but I assure you we have far wealthier people here in the States. Mark
Old 04-11-2014, 01:25 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Chris. Just a couple of corrections there.

In UAE the 991 GT3 is almost exactly the same price as the USA. Infact I stand corrected but it could be a tad cheaper.

I think you are confused with Singapore.

In UAE you may be surprised to know that many of the 991 GT3 customers on this board who purchased the GT3 from Duabai are not serial repeat customers and infact stand suprised such generous comp was offered.

Lastly Dubai is a HUGE market for PAG relative to populace size. I do believe around 30+ 991 GT3 have been sold in Dubai alone let alone the other UAE states and over 20 I believe already delivered.

Small markets like NZ, Australia and SA stand to be treated with UK as second rate citizens in this senario I suspect.

The mindset you summarise in the last sentence is partly why consumers in small markets like ours have been shafted to date.

I know you are not a stake holder in the current 991 GT3 "debacle" but of you were I think you might feel differently regards the comp. More proactive.
LOL. You beat me to the punch line. A world traveler like yourself knows so much. Thanks for the corrections. Mark
Old 04-11-2014, 01:34 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, off the thread for a day and I'm confused? Porsche is offering $2000 per month due to loss of use and extending the warranty? People don't like this ? I guess I'll go back and read, but headed to Vail tomorrow AM and need to pack.

I'd be happy with this, but I've had a fairly stressful year, so in the big picture of things, I'd chalk this up on the positive side.

Personally I've received no email or phone call, so at least you guys have that.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:44 AM
Eronbo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I explained this situation to friends today and called it a "first world problem!" Really pretty funny to witness all the angst associated with the GT3 engine issue. I think i have migrated through the classic stages of grief. LOL! Sort of like the 6 year old who doesn't get his way. Now with the passage of a bit of time it really pretty humorous. This could become a classic Harvard Business School case study in how not to manage customer expectations. Porsche did a great job getting out in front of the problem unlike GM and Toyota. Then, they did a horrible job managing the expectations of a core group of their best brand ambassadors. I haven't received my call yet. My car has been sitting on the dock in San Diego for six weeks. I told the dealer today that I would make a decision on what I would do when I have all the facts. I don't expect that will be real soon!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:13 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mqandil
Chris... I am one of the fortunate people whose company has a branch office in Dubai and we own several Porsche cars there too. We generally buy the Porsche cars there slightly cheaper than the US and guess what there is no Sales Tax. Although there are few rich people in Dubai, but the majority of people buying these cars are Ex-pats who are from Europe or the States like myself and the US gets far more allocation than Dubai. In other words not much different than the US and even less profit, and yet better compensation. It could be for the illusion they have more money, but I assure you we have far wealthier people here in the States. Mark
Mark is right. And so is Macca. As pretty much always. Chris isn't. I'm sorry.

At the end of the day, for all those people who had their GT3 delivered and paid for, the situation is the same. We have paid for a car that we cannot use or enjoy because Porsche did not do their homework correctly. Plain and simple.

With that established, the compensation offered globally should be the same. The standard warranty offered in your market, the buyers' profile, Porsche's market size in your region and (sadly for some) also the car's price, are irrelevant in that equation. Because you, as an individual customer, cannot control any of them, so why should you suffer from the (negative) consequences? There is no way Porsche can talk themselves out of that logic.

So, whether my car only has 2 years basic warranty or 4 years like the guys in the US, is irrelevant when it comes to compensation. The baseline is different, sure, but so what? Why should somebody be compensated better or worse for a similar event because of a different baseline, that, as above, they have no control over? And the same applies for the buyers' profile and wealth, size of your region and so on.

The only one that Porsche could argue which could hurt people in the markets where cars are more expensive (mostly due to taxes beyond Porsche's control) is to have the compensation not linked to what they paid for the car. For Porsche, the cost to produce and profit is largely the same, hence the compensation is the same and not proportionate to what the customer paid. I'd give them that.

It's simple: if we in the Middle East are getting 12k USD cash offered and I manage to get 2 years additional warranty after long discussions, so should you. And anybody who gives in easily on anything less is letting Porsche take them for a ride (but not in a GT3), if you ask me.

Last edited by TomTom77; 04-11-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:41 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

My bad fellas! As Macca has eluded, I was under the impression that like in our market, cars in the UAE were more costly so the compensation would reflect the higher price paid and thus the greater profit... If they are on par, well then that's a whole different story. As a US customer I too would expect compensation equal to what TomTom is suggesting to have been offered...
Old 04-11-2014, 11:46 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

My personal view in the light of some comments here is that I'll stop posting on the 991GT3 forum altogether since I am not involved in any way. I suggest the same to those that do not have anything at stake here. We are clearly not welcome because of different views and opinions being outsiders and our comments are taken the wrong way.
I have written my share of negative comments,jokes or harsh statements,for which I wish to apologize to those involved(not PAG).
This is my last comment on the 991GT3 board and with this occasion I would like to wish everyone involved good luck in having the situation resolved in their best interest and start enjoying your cars.
I will be following with interest the outcome of this situation.

Best Nick.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't be bullied into leaving Nick. Your comments have been much appreciated.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:09 PM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Just got my compensation call. My car was delivered to me in december.

Same offer that has been talked about here. 12 mo warranty/3 year service, tires.

$2k/mo was not brought up until i asked about a monetary comp. Odd...

I said that I was not satisfied with 2k and the reply was that it will be noted.

Im not interested in warranty extension or tires. I made that known.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?