Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 08:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Mike,you know how much I respect your opinions,but this is Porsche marketing BS at its best!!!

This is the video I've been looking for a long time. I can't stand and watch this BS any longer! No way the engine problems wouldn't develop in this ^^^kind of testing! I'd say the chances of no rod bolts failures during the testing,had they've been using same parts(and it makes no sense whatsoever why they wouldn't) are less than 10% IMHO!
And Nick, I respect yours as well. I wish that I could give more details and be more specific, but I trust my source implicitly when I'm told that these issues did not arise in testing and beyond that I simply cannot say any more. I understand why you and others are skeptical; and I know why I am not. Sorry, I realize that's not very satisfying.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:13 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by snabbgt3
.. is there anyone on the thread that can shed light on this matter, with diagrams of crank, connecting rod, etc., as to precisely what connector and screw(s) are loosening?
Item #7 is the connecting rod bolt, there are 12 of them.
As to why they're loosening/failing is conjecture at this point.
Installation/Supplier/Design, who knows, and you might never really know, so wasted energy to stress over it imho.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:17 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Peter, I appreciate the advice, but I simply don't feel that my investment is at risk. Porsche will figure out how to fix a con rod bolt, FCOL, and the engine will be good as new; certainly as good as those in any future GT3, RS, or Cayman GT. Unless, of course, you believe that Porsche has just packed it in with regard to ever producing a reliable car ever again.

The car is paid for, there are no payments. I'm willing to see how this plays out. If the fix isn't satisfactory it will give me more ammunition to deal with them in the future. My daughter is quite a good lawyer.....another investment that paid off.
Sorry to just quote and reply to you, but I think there are many lurkers in both camps. If the car is bought and paid for, surely you could look at some alternatives with the money get back.

No, I don't say they wont ever produce a reliable track car ever again, my deposit for the RS still stands, I'm just saying there is a real risk that it will take a while before this 991GT3 gets the vote of approval to be track worthy and so, it will depreciate like any other car.

Consult your daughter now, if she's good, she will mediate a nice settlement and save you the sorrow ;-)
Old 03-17-2014, 08:17 PM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Mike my warning is just take the risk off the table and wait a bit longer.
Maybe your a poor engineer, but I must be poorer because I would not take a risk like that for fun.
Better than egg on your face risking a possible 30K+ in instant depreciation on a car that's not dependable while you have to make payments and cant get rid of because of owing more than it's worth.
I can see guys like us not putting money down because we plan to keep the car forever, but what if its bad all around even after this engine fix, running a couple dozen engines?? What about the previous millions of test miles, if that did not do it, whats a dozen engines running gonna do?
Yeah, youre not looking at 30k in instant depreciation no matter what happens.

There is demand for this car that far exceeds the supply...even with you not wanting one.

And if someone is concerned about re-sale...rolleyes: Dont buy a new vehicle.

Im looking at mp4s for 190k that have 300k windows. Now thats depreciation.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Great advice about taking "risk off the table". You can always buy another GT3 down the road.

As for the 4.0, I was offered an allocation, and turned it down. My logic? I already have a 3.9 Manthey, so why the heck would I need a marginally faster 4.0? I'd like a "do over" on that decision.
LOL, yeah. I have no excuse, I tracked it for 4000 miles... At least we are in good company with Chris Harris for making the biggest mistake of 2013.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lumber

There is demand for this car that far exceeds the supply...even with you not wanting one.

Right.
All it has to become is a car that depreciates like any other 130K+ car with average demand..
VW is doing a good job of making that happen IMHO
Old 03-17-2014, 08:24 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm thinking Porsche will start to designate April or May builds as 2015 cars to alleviate fears of being associated with the 2014 cars thus the reason for the revised configuration changes....
Old 03-17-2014, 08:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Yup, and the 2014 depreciation starts right then.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:27 PM
grinzing mike
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 50k hit is a bit pessimistic. There are still lots of people buying 996s and 997s and 986s and 987s with main seal issues, and the depreciation on those is 'reasonable'. In addition, any issue that comes up would be covered by Porsche in the warranty...so the risk, and the hit to depreciation, doesn't really likely until after the warranty and / or the certified warranty period.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:29 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Mark, it sounds as if your company is a good one to do business with.

Maybe it has something to do with the culture of a smaller (not to be presumptive re: the size of your company) versus a very large business. I did engineering for a giant telecommunications firm. We frequently did work which directly impacted consumers. In 30 years I can't think of a single instance where we provided detailed information to customers regarding our planning, engineering, and construction schedules. I don't mean to say that's the best way to do business, but it's not unusual.

I'd love to have daily or weekly updates on the progress of this thing. I'm just not sure how much impact a few web forum members are going to have on a German multi-national corporation. It's possible I'm being defeatist, but I suspect I'm being realistic.
I think you are just being realistic. I will have to agree.

I also understand what you are saying about the giant firms as I worked for one, and hated it and vowed to do it differently. My company has only 140 employees, so it is still relatively small compared to the giants.

However there are still few good companies around, that still places customer needs as their number one priority, and hopefully my company remains one of those.

Lets see how this fix plays out, as I am like you is willing to give Porsche some slack to get this done and also appreciative they are doing something about it, but l am also counting on them to do the right thing and make it right for us, and especially when some of the buyers have spent their live savings to buy this car.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:34 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lumber

My bro-in-law traded his Aston Martin Vanquish after 3 years with 20k + miles on a Bentley for $80k. Sticker was $380K. Now THATS depreciation!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

One persons depreciation is another person capital destruction!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:40 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
I personally believe that the engineers were astonished that their technologic marvel could have been undone by normal parts quality variation in a critical area where perhaps the computers cut the performance safety envelope a little too close. These types of failures have a "swiss cheese" component where two or more factors must align to result in failure whereas one alone would not. That alone should provide current owners with confidence that the new engine will be a winner since a repeat failure is extremely unlikely. I owned a 95 530i BMW that had the nikasil cylinder liners that crapped out w/ the high sulfur gasoline. The extended warranty meant nothing, the value of the car tanked and nobody cared anyway. I mention this because a GT3 is not a BMW or any other car for that matter. Owners and non owner car enthusiasts care about the GT3, something that is not true about most cars. I'd sit tight if I owned one and let Porsche work to make it right. I believe Porsche has big plans for this engine and is not about to let it die on the vine. I'm looking forward to round 2 which is why I leased my C4S.

This. ^^^

Well, the first sentence at least. The engineering part separate from the marketing part.

I'm German and actually an engineer but in sales because well, I love money.

We hate being wrong! How could my Panzer 991 GT3 have an engine failure? Impossible! We have the most difficult time accepting blame and can do no wrong.

neanicu's video posting above... Yea well he's right on.

The thing is the connecting rod bolt failure isn't going to happen with ALL the cars. It just won't. It was weeks ago when we discussed thousands upon thousands of track and street miles on many of the cars without issue.

If 2 burn they have to agree to fix or buy back all. They have looked at all of the options over the last few weeks and will find the most inexpensive way out of this. It's too bad those 2 cars burned so close together in time or if at least one of them burned on the track like someone else had mentioned.

This is such a phenomenal niche car that can't easily be replaced comparatively.

I don't see the 2014 GT3's being viewed as the burn cars and worth less money. It's not like it's variant 3 series and you just avoid that year because there are thousands of year before or after to choose from. Guys are going to want these cars just like the 2015's. In fact, if Porsche gives the 2014's an exclusive extended warranty on top of the new engines the true track mongers will want a 2014 that they can really beat on.

Even if this cost's Porsche 25 million USD dollars to correct it would be ten times that amount they and or their insurance would have to payout on a wrongful death lawsuit if even one guy burns inside his car.

It's all about the money.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:41 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

So has anyone noticed that the Porsche configurator is now for 2015 cars? I think at least. When I load my old config it asks tell me that certain options aren't available in the new model year.

So when does the 2015 MY car start?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:53 PM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

"Depreciation most definitely on those 2014's will be absolutely huge. I can see an easy instant 30-50k hit on the 14's. Easy. Not so sure what my "contact" meant that this was a supplier issue?? How did this not show up in their testing for 2 years and 100's of thousands of miles and then when it hit production all of a sudden it was an issue? As this is still playing out I would be ok with a car 1 year from now or an RS...... but its pretty risky taking one these with an relatively untested "supplier" parts."

Oh boy...yeah the 2014 991gt3 with full warranty, probably crazy extended power train warranty after this, will now sell for 100k.

What are you smoking?

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?