Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 02:27 PM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Those that bail on their order will not get any satisfaction, as there is still a waiting list of buyers (who have no idea there is even a problem to begin with).
Old 03-17-2014, 02:29 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
There is no way in the world from a brand protection and liability point of view that Porsche would refurb the engines and reinstall them in new cars. The reputational exposure, ( and liability exposure if there were another fault) would be enormous. I just can't see it.
If a completed but uninstalled engine at the factory undergoes an update, is it 'new' or is it a refurb? What about an installed engine where the car is still at the factory? Or undelivered and at the port?
Old 03-17-2014, 02:35 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
Well just spoke to my dealer and production is continuing. They confirmed with Porsche that my EU pick up is still on schedule for May 16th. In addition Cyreck who is a rennlist member also confirmed today with his dealer that his US May 9 delivery is on schedule. Porsche is telling folks production is moving forward.
Same with me. Just talked to dealer and I am showing April 11 exit production and May 9 arrive at NJ port. It would seem strange to me that they are not putting the fixed piston rod screws in these builds. It would seem to me that these cars will have the new motors in them. Makes no sense for me to cancel my car.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:36 PM
sand8
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
I think this is a case of a part making the grade during prototype form, then pre-production form, then failing to meet spec once into full scale production.

From my exposure to component suppliers in the auto industry, each jump (from prototype to preproduction/pilot line, then to full scale production) is notable and has attendant engineering hurdles. Sucks that this appears to be the case here.

For those bailing from the car, it's understandable. But I remain in the camp that the fix will be robust.

Long term I have concerns about the top end of the motor since the valvetrain is so new, but I think the bottom end will prove up to the task. Just my gut feel.
If I remember correctly, the 991 GT3 original conrod was not made of Ti. The change to Ti (like is used in 991 Turbo) was the last change to address the issue with the press/test car (not sure which magazine). Therfore, no sufficient testing time allowed to ensure the reliability of the changed in high RPM, harmonic, etc (versus Turbo lower RPM). So, it seem like Porsche took the assumption that the change was minor enough to continue with the upgarde to Ti rod (not sure what bolt material was used, hopefully Ti as well as otherwise, the temperature coef will not be the same). For now, they want to make sure the assembly is tested per the original test plan (as normally what they do), not taking any chances.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:38 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I think we should start two new threads

1) compensation thread. I'm afraid for existing owners if the car this is a serious inconvenience. I want to see cash compensation and I think we need to stick together to achieve the best group outcome. In the age if the internet and social media they cant ignore this.

2) in light of the woeful time frames and by way of protest regards the above situation if a satisfactory outcome is not presented by month end we should organise a global "drive your 991 gt3 day" as a protest. Wear your race suit and extinguisher for additional effect! I'm serious!

As previous stated even though the news was firmly told to me 10 days ago I was very disappointed to hear it.

We need a global compensation package for the various scenarios of incomplete ownership including those who have taken delivery and we need to finalise it real soon before Porsche forget what a huge blunder this is!
+1 on both points.

I had to cut each track session short last saturday because my substitute car was not up to the heat (not even loaner - the other car I could find - the loaner is utter crap base cayman on all-seasons, which I would not even consider tracking). This is a major pain in the a$$ now. If they make me negotiate with a dealer about compensation instead of writing a check, I'll just have to ask my lawyer to do it for me.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:42 PM
rsdarcan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the engine swap note... One time I was talking to my mechanic at the dealer, they had a car 997 in that had a warranty engine swap going on. I thought it was interesting that Porsche has them drop the motor with all of the ancillary parts and just ship it back as a unit. The new engine was sitting there with all new ancillary parts as well and they just put it right back in. Basically everything was new. So I don't see a swap as a bad thing. I would want a some sort of compensation for down time though. They had some issues with early PDK's where they just swapped them out and the broken ones were shipped back as well. I do feel for all of you who already have the cars and have to go through this.

On another note. Does anyone know how many GT3 engines they produce a day?
Old 03-17-2014, 02:43 PM
mhh
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
Same with me. Just talked to dealer and I am showing April 11 exit production and May 9 arrive at NJ port. It would seem strange to me that they are not putting the fixed piston rod screws in these builds. It would seem to me that these cars will have the new motors in them. Makes no sense for me to cancel my car.
If the new motor isn't signed off, your car will ship with the old motor - obviously. This will continue for as many months as it takes for the current testing to conclude. Since no timeline has been given, it could be several months before new cars are getting the new engine on the production line. The key announcement to wait for is the one that new engines are now being built. The first engines will go to existing cars so it might take a while for new builds to get new engines.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:45 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) compensation thread. I'm afraid for existing owners if the car this is a serious inconvenience. I want to see cash compensation and I think we need to stick together to achieve the best group outcome. In the age if the internet and social media they cant ignore this.

2) in light of the woeful time frames and by way of protest regards the above situation if a satisfactory outcome is not presented by month end we should organise a global "drive your 991 gt3 day" as a protest. Wear your race suit and extinguisher for additional effect! I'm serious!

As previous stated even though the news was firmly told to me 10 days ago I was very disappointed to hear it.

We need a global compensation package for the various scenarios of incomplete ownership including those who have taken delivery and we need to finalise it real soon before Porsche forget what a huge blunder this is!
... I think a global protest drive, in setting of spending >$/Euro150,000 on a GT3 and >99.99% of the world not fathoming this expenditure on luxury sports car, will fall flat ... also, many dealers have just one owner and there may be hundreds of miles between individual owners.

However, I think (as you are proposing) a concerted effort by us aficionados of an "elite" performance car negotiate compensation package best approach. It appears in PAG's interest to do their best to keep their most educated and expert customer base loyal ...
Old 03-17-2014, 02:47 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

compensation thread. I'm afraid for existing owners if the car this is a serious inconvenience. I want to see cash compensation and I think we need to stick together to achieve the best group outcome. In the age if the internet and social media they cant ignore this.

I totally agree. Since this is your idea (a good one), can you start the thread?
Old 03-17-2014, 02:52 PM
az audi
Racer

Originally Posted by skuplist
Well just spoke to my dealer and production is continuing. They confirmed with Porsche that my EU pick up is still on schedule for May 16th. In addition Cyreck who is a rennlist member also confirmed today with his dealer that his US May 9 delivery is on schedule. Porsche is telling folks production is moving forward.
I also had a May 9th deliver date... I am trying to confirm the location and status of my car today. Sales guy gets in at noon.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:55 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Some details just make no sense (big surprise...). Why on earth would they keep producing cars with the issue? I understand clearing the cars currently on the line--but that could have been done already. Why slate production for this and upcoming weeks, only to swap the engine on those new cars later? Either they are much further along in the replacement part / engine process than they are letting on OR the cars due for imminent production will have the fix incorporated already.

(Pure conjecture on my part, using logic...which is likely my downfall.)
Old 03-17-2014, 02:59 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Likely they presume the fix is going to work and producing cars with the fix already installed, await the testing for actual sale and that should minimize the delays......if the fix actually passes their endurance tests. That's what seems to make sense.....I think??
Old 03-17-2014, 03:02 PM
mhh
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Some details just make no sense (big surprise...). Why on earth would they keep producing cars with the issue?
Two reasons occur to me.

1. To get paid. This issue must be killing PAG financially.
2. To clear orders from the line which is always needed for future models.

There will be a process in place for engine replacement so that is the lesser of two evils.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:04 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mhh
If the new motor isn't signed off, your car will ship with the old motor - obviously. This will continue for as many months as it takes for the current testing to conclude. Since no timeline has been given, it could be several months before new cars are getting the new engine on the production line. The key announcement to wait for is the one that new engines are now being built. The first engines will go to existing cars so it might take a while for new builds to get new engines.
I'm sorry, this just doesnt make sense. Why on earth would they continue to make engines with known bad parts? Only to ship the car which is not driveable , and then have to send a replacement motor later to be installed? I'm not sure that makes sense at all.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:04 PM
sand8
Instructor

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Some details just make no sense (big surprise...). Why on earth would they keep producing cars with the issue? I understand clearing the cars currently on the line--but that could have been done already. Why slate production for this and upcoming weeks, only to swap the engine on those new cars later? Either they are much further along in the replacement part / engine process than they are letting on OR the cars due for imminent production will have the fix incorporated already.

(Pure conjecture on my part, using logic...which is likely my downfall.)
I think this is called parallel testing (or something like that). The fixes already in all new engines, but the testing has not been completed per the test plan requirement (or the extended testing part). So, if the testing proofed OK, Porsche will gain some time. If not, they just need to find a better solution and the delay may be a bit longer. It is a gamble, only if you 99% confident with the fix then you will do this kind of thing. Just guessing here.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?