Sponsored by:

Scuffed stone guard

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 05:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Scuffed stone guard

I've now noticed some light scuff marks on the vinyl stone guard ahead of one rear wheel. I don't know when or how it happened, and oh well, not a big deal but I'd like to get them out if possible. I know I could have the guard replaced, but it's not that bad and I'd rather not go that route at this point.

From past experience I know you have to be careful to avoid permanently marring the surface of the vinyl. Before I try a few things, does anyone have any suggestions for a product or technique that will do the job?

Out of curiosity, this raises a related question. If your car is wrapped and you get a scuff, what do you do? Or are the wrap products so different from the vinyl stone guards that scuffing isn't an issue? I've never had a wrap or vinyl bra done, so am not familiar with upkeep procedures.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:03 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Can you post a photo?

Try non abrasive first. Try your favorite wax. See if this removes the scuff.

Do you have a Porter Cable?
Old 01-25-2014, 06:10 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The most stubborn ones I got are rubber pellets from the track leaving scuff marks. I have been using Mother's racing rubber remover with success (looks good, white car). I used it on the wrap as well (Xpel) and it didn't dull it.

On my previous cars, I had scuff marks from hitting a cone that I could not get out manually. I used my rotary buffer with soft compound and it didn't mar or scratch. I will be using it on my current car soon as some rubber scuffs have been very resistant. As you may know, the factory vinyl in that location yellows in no time (only visible on white cars) so I do plan to have them replace it under warranty when it does so (they previously said such yellowing would qualify as a warranty replacement). Wide body attracts road missiles!
Old 01-25-2014, 06:12 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I've now noticed some light scuff marks on the vinyl stone guard ahead of one rear wheel. I don't know when or how it happened, and oh well, not a big deal but I'd like to get them out if possible. I know I could have the guard replaced, but it's not that bad and I'd rather not go that route at this point.

From past experience I know you have to be careful to avoid permanently marring the surface of the vinyl. Before I try a few things, does anyone have any suggestions for a product or technique that will do the job?

Out of curiosity, this raises a related question. If your car is wrapped and you get a scuff, what do you do? Or are the wrap products so different from the vinyl stone guards that scuffing isn't an issue? I've never had a wrap or vinyl bra done, so am not familiar with upkeep procedures.
I’ve had some very bad scuffs on different films that have been buffed out (even deep scratches from an SUV that backed over my bumper once). Sorry I can’t tell you HOW, as I always had it professionally done but I can tell you it usually can be fixed.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:20 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just leave it alone. It's bound to happen again and again and in different areas. Just part of driving a car. Like you said "oh well" and just keep driving.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:21 PM
LexVan
Banned

Yes, The Mother's product is very good:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...clear-bra.html
Old 01-25-2014, 06:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Here's a pic. They aren't gouges, but the shiny surface of the vinyl has been dulled. From some angles the marks are invisible, with the right light they are more obvious than in the pic.

The first thing I tried was the Mothers Racing Rubber remover, which as Sam says works great for cone marks, but it's apparently not surface residue. I do have a Porter Cable polisher and was going to try some very mild Mequiars Swirl Remover, but thought I'd ask for opinions first.
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2014, 06:41 PM
LexVan
Banned

Tape off an area and see if you can buff out a part of the scuff. If successful, expand your work zone. Use a very-very fine cut like Menzurna's.

Possible they were there at delivery and dealer might replace as warranty/courtesy.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

Plexus works really well on the clear bra to remove fine scratches. I believe the stone guards are a similar material. Abrasive polishes may be too aggressive. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:04 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a pic. They aren't gouges, but the shiny surface of the vinyl has been dulled. From some angles the marks are invisible, with the right light they are more obvious than in the pic.

The first thing I tried was the Mothers Racing Rubber remover, which as Sam says works great for cone marks, but it's apparently not surface residue. I do have a Porter Cable polisher and was going to try some very mild Mequiars Swirl Remover, but thought I'd ask for opinions first.
I think (not 100% sure) that a fine polish is less harsh than swirl remover. It worked for some finer marks but the deeper ones required a fine rubbing compound. Neither hurt the vinyl (I used the rotary).
Old 01-25-2014, 09:35 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 890 Likes on 336 Posts

Mike, I have the products Premiere films sells: Crystal wax and TTR (stain remover). Happy to bring them tomorrow if you want to try out.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Mike, I have the products Premiere films sells: Crystal wax and TTR (stain remover). Happy to bring them tomorrow if you want to try out.
Chris, thanks, but I think I've resolved this. I decided to go ahead and use my Meguiars Swirl Remover by hand. It took out 90% of the scuff marks to the point where you can't really see them unless you get down on your hands and knees in just the right light. I may give it a go with the buffer, but OTOH the first time I clip a cone I'll probably have new marks, so what's the point?

Thanks to all for the tips and suggestions.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike. Interesting email. I found the same marks when I washed my GT3 by hand in Italy and France. Ive captures the marks here below on two separate occasions. They look like the same marks as you have. Im 100% certain this is debris thrown up from the front wheels caught by the wide rear arches. Interestingly they wiped straight off the paint with a wash but they remained (in some lights) on the horrible plastic stuff (although much less obvious than yours due to the white). I think this is just a regular part of 991 GT3 ownership - the hazards of pushing on in these cars....

P.S. Sam you are 100% correct. After 30 days driving my factory clear protectors are now a definite different colour than the paint below! I think I will have some solid white ones made up is the only way. As per previous post Ive tried different skins on the 993 over the year from 3M to Xpel and they all get marked and scabby in this area....
Attached Images    
Old 01-26-2014, 04:05 AM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Chris, thanks, but I think I've resolved this. I decided to go ahead and use my Meguiars Swirl Remover by hand. It took out 90% of the scuff marks to the point where you can't really see them unless you get down on your hands and knees in just the right light. I may give it a go with the buffer, but OTOH the first time I clip a cone I'll probably have new marks, so what's the point?

Thanks to all for the tips and suggestions.
I think you are pretty much there with your solution, I'd add one additional final step, a good filler glaze. The problem is the stone guards are not like a clear coat so you can't really compound and polish them out. I have had success with a moderate compund and a polishing pad (I use a red one) with my dual action polisher on a low setting (a 3 on the Porter Cable) followed by a good glaze & buff- to fill in any gaps. It does a surprisingly good job. But I have to admit I have not done this in at least a year or more - I reached the "what's the point" level as well.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:14 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Mike. Interesting email. I found the same marks when I washed my GT3 by hand in Italy and France. Ive captures the marks here below on two separate occasions. They look like the same marks as you have. Im 100% certain this is debris thrown up from the front wheels caught by the wide rear arches. Interestingly they wiped straight off the paint with a wash but they remained (in some lights) on the horrible plastic stuff (although much less obvious than yours due to the white). I think this is just a regular part of 991 GT3 ownership - the hazards of pushing on in these cars....

P.S. Sam you are 100% correct. After 30 days driving my factory clear protectors are now a definite different colour than the paint below! I think I will have some solid white ones made up is the only way. As per previous post Ive tried different skins on the 993 over the year from 3M to Xpel and they all get marked and scabby in this area....
Wow...that color change happened fast!

Quick Reply: Scuffed stone guard