Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion asked from forum members

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 09:13 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 401 Likes on 185 Posts
Default Opinion asked from forum members

In your collective opinions do you think that the Cayman, Cayman S and Boxster models will hold their value better with the next generation cars going to 4 cylinder turbos? I do wonder how the car will be received in the U.S. especially for non-interstate, city stop and go driving. I am sure the Porsche people will come up with something interesting ( variable vanes or electric pre-spin up, etc.) to reduce turbo-lag but as they say "there is no substitute for cubic inches ( Liters) . Turbos have to rev to get the boost on. I am thinking that the 6 cylinder motors might be really missed especially here in the U.S.
EDIT: I do believe that Porsche will retain the 6 cylinder motors in the GT cars which is telling.....
Comments?
Old 06-30-2015, 10:04 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 283 Posts

Some of us have short attention spans, very long post. Buy your Cayman/Boxster. Drive the snot out of it and enjoy it for what it is. Fun is also a value. It will be fun now, fun next year, fun many more years. It may even have more fun than you have talent, but that is just a WAG.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:34 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by patdonahue
In your collective opinions do you think that the Cayman, Cayman S and Boxster models will hold their value better with the next generation cars going to 4 cylinder turbos? I do wonder how the car will be received in the U.S. especially for non-interstate, city stop and go driving. I am sure the Porsche people will come up with something interesting ( variable vanes or electric pre-spin up, etc.) to reduce turbo-lag but as they say "there is no substitute for cubic inches ( Liters) . Turbos have to rev to get the boost on. I am thinking that the 6 cylinder motors might be really missed especially here in the U.S.
EDIT: I do believe that Porsche will retain the 6 cylinder motors in the GT cars which is telling.....
Comments?
If I remember correctly on the turbo S it delivers max torque at only 2100 RPM's. That same technology I'm sure will filter down.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by patdonahue
Comments?
For mass produced cars such as the Cayman and Boxster there will be no positive value on current technology cars as new technology that provides better fuel economy, performance and economics is introduced.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:33 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The 4 cyl turbo engines may very well put out more torque than the current flat 6 does. That is the nature of turbos.
Turbo lag has been dealt with in various ways to the point that it shouldn't be noticeable.
It may be that the difference between the engines will be felt more at higher speeds and on the track.
Because of the benefits of turbo charging on the new cars, I don't know that there will be much of a premium commanded for the older models.
Purists may want the flat 6 and may pay more for it, but I think purists are in the minority to the extent that values will not be affected much.

Quick Reply: Opinion asked from forum members