Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Porsche Protection Plan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 03:34 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Porsche Protection Plan?

I was talking to a local Porsche dealer and they told me that there was a new Porsche Protection Plan that was just made available to Porsche owners. Unfortunately they didn't seem to have any details on the plan other than it is an extension of the factory warranty and gives better coverage options than CPO. The only thing I've been able to find online about it is a press release from April of this year:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300071245.html

Has anyone signed up for this new plan and, if so, can you post any additional details about it? I'm looking into purchasing warranty coverage for my newly purchased Cayman R and trying to decide which option is best.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:06 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Unlike CPO this is a third party program, which usually have not been that great. These type of programs and financing are usually the highest margin products for a dealer...and highly recommend by them. Get a quote from your dealer, would be curious what you think.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:11 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How long until your factory warranty expires? I wouldn't buy a third part program many years in advance. And also, be sure to read the contract, not the sales brochure, so you know all of the details and loop holes built in to protect the third party vendor.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:41 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Porsche Protection Plan?

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
How long until your factory warranty expires? I wouldn't buy a third part program many years in advance. And also, be sure to read the contract, not the sales brochure, so you know all of the details and loop holes built in to protect the third party vendor.
The factory warranty has expired. I'm just now purchasing the car from a dealer and have the option to have them either CPO the car (my first choice), go with a third party warranty (the dealer sells United Auto Care) or this new warranty.

The dealer faxed me a 12 page document explaining all of the terms and conditions - they claim it is a Porsche factory warranty and all of the paperwork has the Porsche logo on it, but the press release makes it clear that it is actually provided by a 3rd party on behalf of Porsche. Unclear if this is really any more 'Porsche' than any other 3rd party warranty.

I'm leaning towards just going with the CPO but of course the dealer is enticing me with the much longer warranty period of this other warranty - 6 years /60K miles. Not surprisingly, it's about 50% more expensive than the CPO too. The other benefit I see of the CPO process is that it includes a thorough inspection of the car and remediation of defects found.

I figure if the dealer is trying to steer me away from the CPO then that must be the best option
Old 11-22-2015, 08:30 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by logan2z
I figure if the dealer is trying to steer me away from the CPO then that must be the best option
Concur.

Quick Reply: New Porsche Protection Plan?