Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catastrophic engine failure / previous accident damage related?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 01:06 PM
symbol-soup
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Catastrophic engine failure / previous accident damage related?

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice here. I have a manual 2005 987 with 114000 miles on it and was rear ended in a low impact accident about 3 weeks ago at about 15mph. Car has been well maintained with a full service history and I'm based in the UK.

I booked it in for an assessment and the Porsche indie garage came back with an estimate of around £4500 to check/replace exhaust / shocks / bumper etc. While getting the insurance sorted out I was still driving it until yesterday as I hadn't been told by the assessor that I shouldn't be. The only thing I noticed different with the car was that there was flat spot at around 3000rpm that hadn't been there before and a rattle/rasping at around 5000rpm. The rattle was only there when it was in gear and moving. I couldn't replicate it when stood still just revving the engine.

Yesterday I appear to have had a catastrophic failure of the engine. At around 6000rpm I felt loss of power so eased off and everything seemed back to normal. When I put my foot down again the power dropped off. I very briefly saw a warning that the oil pressure was too low. I immediately took it out of gear, parked up and turned the engine off. The strange thing was that when I tried to restart it the clock and trip computer had all reset. I tried to restart it but it was like I had a flat battery and I could here the usual clicking noise you get when the battery is dead.

The recovery truck measured the voltage of the battery at about 9volts so there was obviously an issue there. Possibly an alternator issue?

I plugged in my iCarsoft dignostics when I got back home and it couldn't connect to the car. ECU failure warning when I tried to connect to any of the options.

I jump started the car this morning and it started but the sound from the engine was horrific. Literally sounded like someone had put a bag of nuts and bolts in there. I immediately switched off again and will be getting it to the dealer tomorrow. I switched it off that quickly I didn't get to see what warning lights came up on the cluster.

A few questions really, some technical and some insurance related:

1 - Could the accident have had a knock on effect that has caused this to happen? Something has come loose / slightly bent?
2 - If the engine has gone would that have affected the electrics?
3 - On the insurance side has anyone had this type of thing happen and what was the outcome? ie waiting for repairs and then the car damaged beyond repair

Any info gratefully received.

This is the tool I normally use for the diagnostics that couldn't connect.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-OB...item2803c535a5
Old 08-02-2015, 11:51 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If you've only got 9V from the battery, there is a problem with the alternator, battery, or maybe even a battery ground connection. Possibly an electrical short too. ECU failure warning could be a fried ECU due to a short or bad ground.
The low voltage/short could be causing the power loss you have experienced, but it would not explain the noises in any way that I can imagine.
I would have the car taken directly to a good Porsche dealer or independent shop (a good one only) and find out what's happening.
I would also let the insurance adjuster know that you are having "seemingly related" electrical and/or mechanical problems, and the ins company needs to acknowledge this and satisfy themselves that there is a problem they are liable for.

Quick Reply: Catastrophic engine failure / previous accident damage related?