Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm looking for input from 981 owners with CDR audio system in their Cayman or Boxste

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 03:32 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I'm looking for input from 981 owners with CDR audio system in their Cayman or Boxste

I'm sorry, but I've done a search and didn't turn up an answer.

I've got an allocation for a GT4 with a November build and I'm still trying to decide my radio option. I really don't want navigation nor do I want the roof wart from satellite radio. However, I want to be able to use my Ipod from my headunit and would like to add a backup camera (sadly, not a factory option from Porsche).

I'm tempted to order the standard radio (which is the CDR radio on the GT4), and then replace the head unit using the Suncoast adapter and an aftermarket headunit that has all the functionality that I'm looking for. I'd keep the CDR headunit in storage just in case.

But I'm concerned that even the standard CDR headunit controls items like perhaps trip computer. My GT4 won't have memory seats, auto headlamps, etc. so I'm not worried about that.

However, if anyone here has the CDR in their 981 I'd really like hearing from you. What else, if anything, does the headunit control? In other words, am I losing any functionality by replacing the headunit with an aftermarket unit?

Thanks in advance.

Christian
Old 02-27-2020, 03:29 PM
Steve Whit
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Da Hapa
long ago you posted this. What did you end up doing as I must replace my base CDR unit in my 981 GT4 that I just received.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:32 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
I'm sorry, but I've done a search and didn't turn up an answer.

I've got an allocation for a GT4 with a November build and I'm still trying to decide my radio option. I really don't want navigation nor do I want the roof wart from satellite radio. However, I want to be able to use my Ipod from my headunit and would like to add a backup camera (sadly, not a factory option from Porsche).

I'm tempted to order the standard radio (which is the CDR radio on the GT4), and then replace the head unit using the Suncoast adapter and an aftermarket headunit that has all the functionality that I'm looking for. I'd keep the CDR headunit in storage just in case.

But I'm concerned that even the standard CDR headunit controls items like perhaps trip computer. My GT4 won't have memory seats, auto headlamps, etc. so I'm not worried about that.

However, if anyone here has the CDR in their 981 I'd really like hearing from you. What else, if anything, does the headunit control? In other words, am I losing any functionality by replacing the headunit with an aftermarket unit?

Thanks in advance.

Christian
Backup camera will be standard on every new car from here to eternity.

Quick Reply: I'm looking for input from 981 owners with CDR audio system in their Cayman or Boxste