Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 02:55 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosseau
Oops! Sorry, I meant when ordering the leather options. Are they still - inner door sill guards -black with the leather options?
went throught this same confusion when ordering as my SA told me that the leather extras were going to be black. I went ahead anyway with the leather sun visors and leather steering column on a hunch, because I saw the european cars had these parts in red, and I didn't think they could all be special order. My hunch (and that of many others) turned out to be correct, that even the internal Porsche configurator was incorrect, and these parts were indeed red. No one has been able to prove that the inner leather door sills are red also, but it would seem very unlikely that these parts alone would be black leather.. that would be the only black leather on the whole car. Also, the previous generation inner leather door sills were red also when ordering the red interior.

Hope this helps.. haven't seen anyone else order leather inner door sills with the classic red interior so I get to wait until February to see what color these turn out to be when my car arrives.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:10 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,613 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
went throught this same confusion when ordering as my SA told me that the leather extras were going to be black. I went ahead anyway with the leather sun visors and leather steering column on a hunch, because I saw the european cars had these parts in red, and I didn't think they could all be special order. My hunch (and that of many others) turned out to be correct, that even the internal Porsche configurator was incorrect, and these parts were indeed red. No one has been able to prove that the inner leather door sills are red also, but it would seem very unlikely that these parts alone would be black leather.. that would be the only black leather on the whole car. Also, the previous generation inner leather door sills were red also when ordering the red interior.

Hope this helps.. haven't seen anyone else order leather inner door sills with the classic red interior so I get to wait until February to see what color these turn out to be when my car arrives.
A agree with CAlexio... My best guess is Red, but until it is 100% confirmed on a physical Spyder, it's not guaranteed.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:16 PM
Rosseau
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CAlexio, I hope you are right! Mine is due to arrive at the end of February. I was hoping to find out before.....It will be a long 3 months wait...
Old 11-24-2015, 10:38 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,613 Likes on 888 Posts

Pistonheads picture of the week!

Old 11-26-2015, 01:29 AM
vince993tt
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Finally!

My GT silver with classic interior finally arrived, and we picked it up at Hennessy on Saturday. Then two days in the North Georgia mountains. What an amazing car. Despite all that I'd read, it has exceeded my expectations, and I couldn't be happier with the selection, including the color combo. A few observations:
Top - I find that it perfectly suits the car. Not too noisy with the top up, and putting it up and down is simple once you have done it a few times. Interior of top, with supports showing, etc. isn't a negative at all. Very happy with the top. The manual aspect just makes the car more special. If you need to just push a button, then this just isn't your car. I find doing it myself to be part of the fun. But then I am 63, and remember when putting Triumph and MG tops up was much more involved than this.
Steering - Steering feel and weight seem ideal to me. Some have said it is too light, but I don't see that. As a former 930 manual steering guy, I love steering feel. This isn't the same as a 930, but even in comparison with my 987, I'm very pleased. Very quick and direct, with sufficient feedback for aggressive street driving.
Exhaust - perfect. Can't imagine how it could be better really. And definitely not too loud for Sport setting full time.
I originally wanted a GT4, but was too late to get an allocation. In the end, I'm glad it worked out this way. I wasn't going to track the car (much) anyway, and now I have a car that I can enjoy with the top either up or down. And to me, I'm just as happy with the Spyder looks as with the GT4. They both look fantastic in person...just different.
Anyway, I see this as a huge step up from my 981 Cayman S. And getting back to the manual transmission is wonderful. The PDK is a great transmission, but I really missed doing it myself.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:09 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vince993tt
My GT silver with classic interior finally arrived, and we picked it up at Hennessy on Saturday. Then two days in the North Georgia mountains. What an amazing car. Despite all that I'd read, it has exceeded my expectations, and I couldn't be happier with the selection, including the color combo. A few observations:
Top - I find that it perfectly suits the car. Not too noisy with the top up, and putting it up and down is simple once you have done it a few times. Interior of top, with supports showing, etc. isn't a negative at all. Very happy with the top. The manual aspect just makes the car more special. If you need to just push a button, then this just isn't your car. I find doing it myself to be part of the fun. But then I am 63, and remember when putting Triumph and MG tops up was much more involved than this.
Steering - Steering feel and weight seem ideal to me. Some have said it is too light, but I don't see that. As a former 930 manual steering guy, I love steering feel. This isn't the same as a 930, but even in comparison with my 987, I'm very pleased. Very quick and direct, with sufficient feedback for aggressive street driving.
Exhaust - perfect. Can't imagine how it could be better really. And definitely not too loud for Sport setting full time.
I originally wanted a GT4, but was too late to get an allocation. In the end, I'm glad it worked out this way. I wasn't going to track the car (much) anyway, and now I have a car that I can enjoy with the top either up or down. And to me, I'm just as happy with the Spyder looks as with the GT4. They both look fantastic in person...just different.
Anyway, I see this as a huge step up from my 981 Cayman S. And getting back to the manual transmission is wonderful. The PDK is a great transmission, but I really missed doing it myself.
Great and encouraging review! More please after more miles!
Old 11-26-2015, 10:28 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Good for you Vince!!! Getting to drive that car in north Georgia mountains is just perfect! I can't imagine a more perfect car for those twisties!!
Old 11-26-2015, 10:36 AM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

@Vince please post pics
Old 11-26-2015, 11:02 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Vince and thanks for the write up!
Old 11-26-2015, 11:32 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by vince993tt
Congratulations, Vince. Glad to hear the steering feel is good. I am sure given time, Porsche will claw back all of the feeling of the past hydraulic setup.

Have you tried using Sport Plus mode? Does it do anything more than rev-matching, in spirited-driving conditions? I really hope it only does rev-matching so that I can put a duct-tape and hide it from sight!
Old 11-26-2015, 11:40 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Congratulations, Vince. Glad to hear the steering feel is good. I am sure given time, Porsche will claw back all of the feeling of the past hydraulic setup. Have you tried using Sport Plus mode? Does it do anything more than rev-matching, in spirited-driving conditions? I really hope it only does rev-matching so that I can put a duct-tape and hide it from sight!
It does rev matching, turns on sports exhaust, and as I understand it, tightens up the motor mounts to create less body roll in turns. I was initially skeptical of the rev matching feature since I'm experienced with heel/toe. However I've found that I actually enjoy the feature. Probably because I'm lazy. :-)
Old 11-26-2015, 12:28 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
It does rev matching, turns on sports exhaust, and as I understand it, tightens up the motor mounts to create less body roll in turns. I was initially skeptical of the rev matching feature since I'm experienced with heel/toe. However I've found that I actually enjoy the feature. Probably because I'm lazy. :-)
I think I am gonna be badly disappointed on this issue! Mark, I am not disagreeing; I am sure rev-matching is a great feature. The software will do a perfect job every single time. But, I do NOT want it! I enjoy being a human with my quirks, fallacies, limitations and positives! :-) When I miss a clean-match, on occasion, I chide myself for being sloppy. It makes me feel good when I match the revs nicely. I know, this has been debated endlessly! But, I will harp on it whenever I can! :-)

I really hope this feature can be defeated programmatically. I asked about it as preparations for the PDI. The service guys apparently can't do it. I will continue to explore on this.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

You can turn on sports exhaust without engaging sports plus so that would be your solution. You be giving up the motor mount tightening but how important is that feature anyhow?
Old 11-26-2015, 12:57 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
I think I am gonna be badly disappointed on this issue! Mark, I am not disagreeing; I am sure rev-matching is a great feature. The software will do a perfect job every single time. But, I do NOT want it! I enjoy being a human with my quirks, fallacies, limitations and positives! :-) When I miss a clean-match, on occasion, I chide myself for being sloppy. It makes me feel good when I match the revs nicely. I know, this has been debated endlessly! But, I will harp on it whenever I can! :-)

I really hope this feature can be defeated programmatically. I asked about it as preparations for the PDI. The service guys apparently can't do it. I will continue to explore on this.
Unlike the GT4, which just has a "Sport" button that does engage rev-matching, the Spyder has both "Sport" and "Sport Plus" buttons. Either button will invoke the thermostat mapping that drops the water and oil temperatures, and both will turn on Sport Exhaust, although that can then be switched off via its own button if desired.

The "Sport" button on the Spyder does not activate rev-matching, while the "Sport Plus" button does. Of course, when neither button has been pressed, the rev-matching is not on.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:20 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, Mark, John. Here is an excerpt from Porsche's site:
When the SPORT PLUS button is pressed the trigger threshold for PSM is raised. The button also controls the dynamic transmission mounts. They minimize the oscillations and vibrations of the entire drivetrain, especially the transmission. In doing so, the damping force and stiffness of the transmission mounts are adapted to driving style and road surface conditions.
When you press the SPORT PLUS button, revmatching downshifts make changing gear as emotional as it is perfect, for unfiltered driving enjoyment.

So, no, I don't think I care for transmission mounts. I will have to take same set of corners with and without Sport Plus and feel the difference. I will happily trade the transmission mounts for the pleasure of self rev-matching, every single time! For that matter, will trade "any" of the Spyder's features!

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!