Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underwhelmed after test driving a 2012 987.2 S

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 09:44 PM
COChris
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Underwhelmed after test driving a 2012 987.2 S

Hey Rennlisters, this is one of my first posts. I'm in the market for a 2012 Cayman R.

Today I drove a 2012 Cayman S with 22k miles, PDK, and power seats. Very minimal options, but I thought it may give me an impression of what the Cayman R might be like.

At this point, I've decided that I will have to travel to find the right Cayman R, so today's experience is probably the closest I will come to a test drive.

I was left underwhelmed; the car didn't do it for me. I knew I may not fall in love with the PDK, so no hard feelings against that. The steering was nice, brakes firm, and turn-in as expected, but something was missing.

It wasn't the exciting, visceral, raw experience I expected from the Cayman S. Funny thing is, I drove a 2014 Cayman S a few months ago (PDK) and really liked it.

My question is: Do you all think I will walk away with similar impressions of the Cayman R? I've never spent over $60k on a car before and really want this purchase to be something I'll absolutely love.

For reference, my daily beater is a supercharged '96 M3 with basic suspension upgrades.

Thanks for any input everyone. Cheers!
Old 01-29-2015, 09:54 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The problem is a Dinan E36 M3 is just going to have more push on a naturally aspirated Porsche Cayman/Boxster/most 911's. I had a E30/E36/E46 M3 and loved all of them but the E30 but with that said my 987.1 CS and 987.2 Spyder are true sports cars ( 1 with PDK) where as the BMW's were sport sedans and I felt it every time I tracked them or did DE's.

The early 2006-2008 CS were the most raw you're going to find of the Cayman line. 6 speed not much in the way of electronic interference and a great platform. The IMS issue is less of a concern on the Caymans but they are a blast to drive but won't blow you away in sheer speed. They will allow you to become a better driver on the track with predictable handling and enough speed to maintain it throughout.

If you're looking for sheer bang for the buck at 60k you should look at the 997 tt. Good examples can be had around that price.

That's my 2 cents.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:33 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

If you're looking for lots of torque and expecting to be thrown back into your seat, I would look elsewhere. That is not what makes the cayman/boxster special. The chassis dynamics, the sound, the feel, and an engine that begs you to rev high is what makes it special. Your supercharged M3 just makes torque.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:54 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Hard to judge how you would react to the R. The main difference between the S and R is the suspension. Compared to a Cayman S the R is going to ride firmer. Not harsh but definitely firmer. Would that feel more raw and exciting you? As others noted it does not have big hp/torque and only a bit more than an S.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:56 PM
HeadRush
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going from a Dodge Viper SRT10 to a 2012 987.2. Imagine the shock I'm in for... :0
Old 01-29-2015, 11:56 PM
COChris
Track Day

I have no problem with the power of the car, just the overall feel and excitement that was lacking today. And actually, orthojoe, the Cayman S and R make similar torque to the blown M3. No need to talk down on it as it's a great car in its own arena.

It's not about the power, and in my opinion the Cayman S had plenty. The experience just wasn't what I expected. If I wanted big fun vain power, I'd get a Z06.

I drove a Cayman S without PASM, so perhaps that was really different from what I'd feel in the R.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:05 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

It will be different, give the R a try. You might also consider a Spyder if you are focused primarily on fun.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:07 AM
drwuss
Racer

I also live in CO, owned a stock 06 zcp m3 manual, and had a similar experience when I drove a 987 cayman s. Then I drove a 14 and liked it more. The c car grew on me and after much deliberation I ended up with a 15 cayman gts. I also had a lead on a great cayman r manual if you are interested pm me.

Best of luck, and for what it is worth a 14 s is likely the same price as an r...
Old 01-30-2015, 03:24 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

To OP, you might find my story interesting since it kind of parallels yours-

My Porsche search also started with 987.2S test drive, and like you, wasn't really blown away. Also tried 997.2 Carrera S the same day, wasn't again blown away - especially the PDK on it. Few months on, I tried a 7.2 GT3, and my heart was set. But somewhere along, while waiting for the right 7.2 GT3 to come along, I tried a Cayman R and was very impressed. Drove one again much later (after I got my 7.2 GT3) and was still again very impressed (this one had a PDK and was my first positive impression of PDK). So, no, don't let your impression of the Cayman S drive you away from the R. It is a way more fun car than the S, IMO. So definitely test drive one.

For reference, I also drive a e36 M3 as a daily, though mine is stock.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:36 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

OK. Here's my 2 cents worth (.016 US). If you are looking for brute force then you completely missing the concept around these mid-engine sports cars and may need to shift your focus over to the 911 Twin Turbos. This is where you'll find your throw-you-back in the seat shear power. I've owned one and they are great in their own right. The Boxster / Caymans are an astoundingly balance mid-engine sports car designed to drive in the tight twisties of good driving roads, at a quarter of the price of similar mid-engine exotics. They are not burdened with massive turbos that need spooling up but instead smaller, shorter-stroked, more responsive engines. Want a BEAST? Stick with your super-charged E36 and let 'er rip! Nothing wrong with that!
BUT, after all this being said, you are obviously curious and snooping around for an additional car to satisfy your driving urge and there is no better car than a Boxster / Cayman. The Spyder and CR are the end of the 987.2 run, last of the hydraulic, non-electric, steering, most powerful, very analog cars and these are the models I would suggest you hunt down in MT version and take for a spin somewhere in the twisties of Colorado. Then get back to us!
Good luck on your hunt!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:25 AM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Did the car you drive have sport Chrono? That makes a huge difference in the dynamics of the car. I DD a 2012 Boxster S PDK. In regular the car is pretty boring, as soon as I hit Sport, it is a totally different car.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:26 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

My Cayman R was the most fun car I've ever owned. (although I miss it less since I got the new GT3)

I've owned a 981 S and personally, I prefer the Cayman R. I think you need to drive the R before deciding. For me, it's a much more visceral and exciting car than the current offerings.

I cannot compare to your current ride - I've never owned a BMW and likely never will.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:45 AM
COChris
Track Day

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys.

I'll go drive a Cayman R when one pops up for sale near me. After all the research I've done, I would expect it to be a perfect weekend car.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:56 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’d try a manual if you have the opportunity. It’s not that the manual is that amazingly good, but the additional driver involvement may give you the visceral feeling you’re looking for.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:04 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Issue with the R is that you cannot push it on public roads. Limit is so high, even 7/10s will get you in expensive trouble if ever caught. So cruising along even on twisty streets just 10-15 miles above the limit will leave you unimpressed. However, bucket seats, PDK, the look, everything felt special enough to me. And I test drove a 981S a few weeks before I bought the 987R, the 981 left me cold, too synthetic feel.

Engine wise, you need to rev it to fully appreciate the engine, above 5000upm is where the engine transport from "very good" to superb. 3rd gear over 5000upm... probably illegal in part of the world and - legally - only doable here on the Autobahn.

Quick Reply: Underwhelmed after test driving a 2012 987.2 S