Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underwhelmed after test driving a 2012 987.2 S

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:04 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Buckets, manual and a true R suspension add up to a different experience IMO. A little surprised the 981 stood out though - it's more plush
Old 01-30-2015, 08:06 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sven76
Issue with the R is that you cannot push it on public roads. Limit is so high, even 7/10s will get you in expensive trouble if ever caught.
Wholeheartedly disagree. In fact, I think the spyder/R is the perfect car to thoroughly enjoy street/canyon drives. On the track it begins to feel a little soft (in stock form). There are a bevy of super cars today that literally CANT be used on the streets legally...the cayman ain't one of em

Last edited by Hoopumpers; 01-30-2015 at 09:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MXA121 (11-20-2019)
Old 01-31-2015, 06:03 AM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, maybe I have missed the right roads so far (but weather is not very encouraging here), and need to go deep backcountry. It's a lot of fun, but my previous cars felt more at the limit at a given speed than the CR. Today sun is shining, so probably take the CR out

Last edited by Sven76; 01-31-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:44 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Sven76
Ok, maybe I have missed the right roads so far (but whether is not very encouraging here), and need to go deep backcountry. It's a lot of fun, but my previous cars felt more at the limit at a given speed than the CR. Today sun is shining, so probably take the CR out
I partially agree with you that the limits are fairly high to a point that you're well beyond legal limits if you're trying to find the edge. The other fact is that even past the edge the car doesn't feel out of control and the significant amount of communication from the chassis/steering allows you to easily reign things in without the pucker factor.

When I stopped chasing that edge and started focusing on it's capabilities and the feedback it provides I find myself in a zone that is complete driving bliss.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:08 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am guessing you test drove in CO. We are in the middle of winter, how much feedback and information can you extract from a test drive with the given conditions? The road surface is cold, engine probably cold. And performance tires are lifeless below 40 deg. Driving the car 5/10 or 9/10, don't matter, it is just going to feel underwhelmed.

Your test drive is not a good representation of what the car can actually feel like.

987 is probably as organic as it can get without going into a Lotus Elise or Ariel Atom. It might sound cheesy or cliche, but the car really can be an extension of you. The car can give you information in such fine detail that very few cars can give. Differences in humidity, road temp, tire temp, even fuel load, as you are driving a 987, all of these info is conveyed so vividly, less so in other cars, such as most of current Porsche's lineup, or BMW's.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:48 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you will find harsher terms than underwhelmed at traffic lights
Old 02-05-2015, 11:47 AM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how much can be attributed to the altitude in CO.

The old s seemed way under powered to me and the new model seemed to be pretty peppy. For what it is worth I had a e46 m3 when I drove old CS, and a GTR when I drove the new CS.

I read on planed 9 that the new 981 is tuned to make only so much power and that the throttle would not open all the way if a plenum/larger tb/etc were installed. I think the poster said that the throttle was only open 70% or something like that at higher revs. The theory being that the car's computer only wants so much air. I wonder if the 981s all can make more power but are "held back" by the computer only allowing so much air in. If this is the case they may still make close to the full amount of power up here where most cars are down 13% (maybe a little off with the %) because the computer still wants the same amount of air so it leaves the throttle open wider.

Just an idea that was bouncing around in my head last night

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-b...mparisons.html
Old 02-06-2015, 12:19 AM
BBA
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you could hook up with the nearest PCA group and bribe somebody for a test drive/ride?

These cars are so good at everything, so competent, that they can be somewhat underwhelming. You really have to live with one and push it to fully appreciate it, because they make everything feel easy.

Quick Reply: Underwhelmed after test driving a 2012 987.2 S