Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 without PSE. Can I install myself?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 06:35 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

I spoke with the Tech Foreman today and was assured that the price ($1,450-10% PCA discount=$1,305) did include all the wiring (electrical and vacuum) and the installation of the switch, etc. To be sure, I had them email me the quote.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:35 PM
viseman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@storii, what dealership quoted $1,450? Called today, they said it should be ready tomorrow. I'm not very confident in the techs at Carlsen. They sound so unsure and say things like "ran in trouble", "encountered problems...", etc.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:00 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by viseman
@storii, what dealership quoted $1,450? Called today, they said it should be ready tomorrow. I'm not very confident in the techs at Carlsen. They sound so unsure and say things like "ran in trouble", "encountered problems...", etc.
viseman, I'm in New Jersey so my local dealer must be totally foreign to you. But FWIW the dealership I spoke to was Paul Miller Porsche. I spoke with the foreman and he seemed to be familiar with the particular job.

Hope all will work out well for you.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:32 PM
viseman
Intermediate

Hey all, picked up the 981 S today from Carlsen Porsche. They tried to bill me $2000 for the PSE install (after a $1200 estimate), saying it took longer than expected due to the wiring and vacuum line installation. I called BS and ended up knocking it down to $1800 but still WAY TOO MUCH for the job, plus caught the service manager lying. They didn't even reset the clock, which is pretty much standard for every other Porsche service department. The staff was lazy, unenthusiastic, and money grubbing. Also odd, my driver side window auto up and down function doesn't work anymore. I'm wondering if the dealership broke it somehow. Anyone ever have that problem? Also, there's a plastic like burning smell from the new exhaust, which I'm hoping is normal but not sure. I'll have to get under it and look and see if maybe a wire or vacuum line is misplaced and touching something hot. Very disappointed in this dealership. All here should avoid Carlsen Porsche like the plague.

All-in-all, the PSE sounds great and I'm happy I did it. It's not a dramatic sound difference inside the cabin but does sound beautiful, though still leaving me wanting just a little bit more inside for the driving experience. The aggressive sound, pops and crackles from outside the car sound truly amazing and noticeably more aggressive than the difference experienced inside the cabin. It will definitely put on a show for onlookers. I rev'd it up on the driveway for my brother and he said "Wow! That sounds like a Ferrari or a super car". At the same time, a neighbor was walking by and stopped to look and smiled with a look of enjoyment and approval.

If you're thinking about the PSE install, do it but make sure you take it to a good Porsche service department that does it for a fair price.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:37 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 469 Posts

Hey all, picked up the 981 S today from Carlsen Porsche. They tried to bill me $2000 for the PSE install (after a $1200 estimate), saying it took longer than expected due to the wiring and vacuum line installation. I called BS and ended up knocking it down to $1800 but still WAY TOO MUCH for the job, plus caught the service manager lying. They didn't even reset the clock, which is pretty much standard for every other Porsche service department. The staff was lazy, unenthusiastic, and money grubbing. Also odd, my driver side window auto up and down function doesn't work anymore. I'm wondering if the dealership broke it somehow. Anyone ever have that problem? Also, there's a plastic like burning smell from the new exhaust, which I'm hoping is normal but not sure. I'll have to get under it and look and see if maybe a wire or vacuum line is misplaced and touching something hot. Very disappointed in this dealership. All here should avoid Carlsen Porsche like the plague.

All-in-all, the PSE sounds great and I'm happy I did it. It's not a dramatic sound difference inside the cabin but does sound beautiful, though still leaving me wanting just a little bit more inside for the driving experience. The aggressive sound, pops and crackles from outside the car sound truly amazing and noticeably more aggressive than the difference experienced inside the cabin. It will definitely put on a show for onlookers. I rev'd it up on the driveway for my brother and he said "Wow! That sounds like a Ferrari or a super car". At the same time, a neighbor was walking by and stopped to look and smiled with a look of enjoyment and approval.

If you're thinking about the PSE install, do it but make sure you take it to a good Porsche service department that does it for a fair price.
Wow...sorry this happened to you. Had PSE on my 981 direct from the factory as I'd had it before on a 997.1 and felt it one of those boxes you must check at time of sale/order vs waiting when its a bit more expensive and involved to do. That said I've had it retrofitted twice to two cars...my 997.1 where much like you it was said to me that it involved much more than the tech/service shop expected however in that case when I got the GM/Sales Manager involved he made sure that they honored their quoted price as in his words "it was not my fault that they had mistaken the effort and time involved in the PSE retrofit - they had thought it would be the same as the previous model but it was a bit more involved. Also had the same done to my 991.1 Carrera S also but instead of putting in the OEM PSE exhaust I did an Akrapovic Ti with PSE activation and the OEM button. That turned out pretty well also and at a reasonable cost. But some dealers seem to take advantage of retrofit opportunities and jack up the price. I'd have not have paid $1800 nor $2000 but would have insisted on the original quote when I dropped the car off. Good notice on this dealership for others to avoid. Glad you like it...enjoy your car and PSE!
Old 02-28-2018, 09:58 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Happy to hear you like the PSE. May the memory of the high installation cost fade in time but the glorious exhaust sound of the PSE put smile on your face every time you step on it!
Old 02-28-2018, 01:02 PM
viseman
Intermediate

Thanks guys. Also, figured out the window problem and solution listed below. The dealer failed to reset the window range. Another fail for Carlsen Porsche.

Storing end position of the windows after connecting the vehicle battery

The end positions of the windows are lost when the battery is disconnected and reconnected. One-touch operation of the windows is disabled.
Perform these steps for all windows:
  • Close window completely once by pulling the rocker switch.
  • When the window is completely closed, briefly pull the rocker switch again three times.
  • Open the window completely once by pressing the rocker switch.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:24 PM
Viper pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 67 Posts

I had the PSE installed in my 2014 CS . The dealer estimated the cost would be $700. Although it was a steep learning curve for them and took much longer then anticipated, they honored their quote and did a professional job. Very pleased.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:43 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

I would have told them to pound it on the additional money. The time to go over that issue was during the repair and not after the fact by surprising you with it after the work was done. Reminds me of the time my vet operated on the wrong leg of my dog and then told me afterwards that the knee on the good leg was loose too. lol Scuzzy.

Quick Reply: 981 without PSE. Can I install myself?