Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.1 Boxster battery flat - Help!

Old 12-02-2014, 01:29 PM
youngwoony
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987.1 Boxster battery flat - Help!

Hey guys,

I left my 987.1 sitting without a battery tender for a month, and it seems that the battery has gone completely dead. My key is stuck in the ignition. I plan on doing the following things, and I'm looking for your advice and experience for guidance:

1. Charging the car through the cigarette lighter enough to pop the hood. Will this kind of item from Amazon work? If not where can I get something that would work for this purpose? (Amazon.com: Questions and Answers: Black & Decker BM3B 6V and 12V Battery Charger / Maintainer forum)

2. Jump starting the car then leaving it on a battery tender. If jump-starting doesn't work, is the only option to replace the battery?
Old 12-02-2014, 01:52 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

charging through the lighter may bring the batt up enough to open the hood. it really depends on the condition/age of the battery.follow the charger directions eg time/rate then check the batt with a DVOM .i do not like the idea of jump starting them and using the alternator as a charger.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:55 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Get a CTEK 7002 plus the cig connector. It has a supply mode as well so even if the battery does not recharge you can power the car to get the key out etc. Porsche gets their battery charger from CTEK among other car companies.

It may bring the battery back but you are most likely going to need a new one.

Amazon.com: CTEK Multi US 7002 12V Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK Multi US 7002 12V Battery Charger: Automotive
Old 12-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Check your car's owners manual: If you can supply sufficient power through the cigarette lighter socket by some appropriate power source/supply then do that.

Older models have a pull out post/connector in the fuse box that one can connect to a positive lead of a 12V power supply with the ground lead connected the door latch catch. For a 12V power supply this can be jumper cables connected to another car's battery.

This supplies the car's electrical system with sufficient power to open the trunk.

With this power connection, do not attempt to start the engine. Do not even attempt to turn the key to the on position. Remove the key if you can without force or turning the key.

After you get the trunk lid open break the electrical connection and then remove and replace the battery. Do not try to resurrect the old battery by recharging. Sometimes a flat battery can be resurrected but often not and the owner goes through weeks of starting issues and other electrical problems until he finally bites the bullet and replaces the battery.

Once you get the new battery connected and secure remove the key. In the future do not leave the key in the ignition when you are through with the car and have turned off the engine.

You and the car are really better off if you lock the car when you are through with it. This kills all but the most essential electrical loads on the battery. While one load is the car's security system this consumes very little power and after 5 days I think it shuts off.

Consult the owners manual: If there is a way to lock the car without enabling the security system -- say if the car was parked in the garage and you believe the security system is unnecessary -- then you could do this and save a bit of drain on the battery. Not much and not enough in my opinion but it is your call.

However, if you are gone the car is at risk of being stolen from the garage and having the car's security system on could be a good thing. More than once I have called the police when passed by a tow truck carrying a car with its alarm sounding and lights flashing. In all cases I learned the tow was legitimate, though. Illegal parking was involved.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:11 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just word to the wise, your battery can be so dead that the frunk won't pop. I just had that issue with a 987S that I bought at auction, hooking up jumper cables to the fuse box jumper would only give enough power to release the ignition key. Ultimately we had to pull the front left wheel and fender liner, there is a release cable inside that will pop the frunk lid. Oddly enough after a full charge the battery has been fine, even sitting outside for nearly a week at subzero temps.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:42 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the sill release for the frunk doesn't work with the jumper on the fuse box, hit the trunk release on the key before pulling the fender liner

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 987.1 Boxster battery flat - Help!