Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Dipstick for 2011 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 03:43 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Dipsticks are a pretty foolproof method of measurement, they leave out the guesswork and practically never fail. The vast majority of new cars still come with dipsticks, its only a few high-end marques that have abandoned them (maybe they think their customers don't like to get their fingers dirty...).
Old 11-28-2014, 06:57 PM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What got me thinking about an oil dipstick for a Boxster S is that AudiWorld has a forum where getting a dipstick for an Audi S4 B8 platform can be obtained from ECS Tuning for $30.99 + $6.55 shipping.
Part No. 06E115611h. My 2011 Boxster S 987 has no dipstick just an electronic readout.

Cannot find where ECS Tuning supplies a dipstick for my Boxster. Any suggestions?
Old 11-28-2014, 07:55 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I recently changed my oil and used the following procedure.
- Couple hours of spirited driving
- 4 Hour drain while the car was still hot
- Add 7.5 Quarts of Oil
- Start engine until warm and took measurement
- measured at the lowest point so added another .5 Quarts
- measurement shows one line below full so I still need to add another .25 - .5 quarts.

The manual says the car uses 8 quarts in an oil change so I'm clearly over that but not by much.

As far as having a dipstick, we all have to give into technology at some point. My primary concern is the reliability of this device. Accuracy seems to be very good since a .25 quart addition is easily captured on the reading.

My new Volvo uses a similar measuring device but it is not accurate by design. It only tells the owner if the car needs oil or is full, it doesnt' have markers in between full/refill lines.
DUDE u beezzz spending almost 8 hours on an oil change ?????SNAP OUT OF IT. you are going to wind up like that guy here that checks his oil level twice a day.get a hobby
Old 11-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
DUDE u beezzz spending almost 8 hours on an oil change ?????SNAP OUT OF IT. you are going to wind up like that guy here that checks his oil level twice a day.get a hobby

But seriously, I went out with the family while the car was draining. When I came back the thing was still dripping.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:22 PM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

But seriously, I went out with the family while the car was draining. When I came back the thing was still dripping.
I used to work in a gas station and do oil changes. The oil drains much faster when hot. Was your oil hot?
Old 11-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
I used to work in a gas station and do oil changes. The oil drains much faster when hot. Was your oil hot?
Yes. I started draining about 15 minutes after my drive.

Quick Reply: Oil Dipstick for 2011 Boxster S