Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 upgrades

Old 11-18-2014, 12:41 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blue44
I thought 1.5 degrees negative would be adequate for the monthly track day, what are you guys doing ? 2 degrees all around ?

Donn
I run NT01s with GT3 LCAs & brake ducts on the track. Camber is -2.0 degrees front/-1.6 rear. Some guys run more negative camber, which biases the car toward oversteer, but most maintain that 0.4 difference front to rear. My setup is definitely streetable and could be with even a little more negative camber.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

FIRST MOD: GT3 master cylinder. you have NO idea what you are missing
then if track car: cooling cooling more cooling
LCA. you need at least -2 and preferably a lot more.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:27 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Wheel studs do make life easier. I have the ones from Apex, a sponsor here.

I would not add the mesh - it does limit air flow. If you have a PDK car, it will make it run hot.

I'd replace the master cylinder before adding new rotors. GT3 brake ducts for the front are easy.

Girodisc rotors are awesome! Once the master cylinder, brake lines, and fluid are upgraded.

GT3 lower control arms in the front are needed to get adequate negative camber.
I would disagree on the issues with mesh protecting the front radiators. I and several others here have installed them, in fact I made protective screens for my car and others and we are not having any heat issues in South Texas. Yes, they are on some PDK cars. Bottom line slightly reduced air flow is cheap compared to a bird making a direct hit on your radiator at 100mph. Then there is the constant build up of leaves etc that more completely reduce airflow to the radiators.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:43 AM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks vg / mooty / phantom plt, good info...
Old 11-18-2014, 11:26 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I would disagree on the issues with mesh protecting the front radiators. I and several others here have installed them, in fact I made protective screens for my car and others and we are not having any heat issues in South Texas. Yes, they are on some PDK cars. Bottom line slightly reduced air flow is cheap compared to a bird making a direct hit on your radiator at 100mph. Then there is the constant build up of leaves etc that more completely reduce airflow to the radiators.
It's only an issue if you are using the car on a race track. I believe that is when Bill has experienced problems
Old 11-19-2014, 10:01 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Let me ask you, how hard is the center piece mesh? I swear I am pretty nifty and cannot get it to seat for the life of me without distorting it.

Also, I added the GT3 MBC, the price on the OEM piece has fallen below 300 dollars from 475 when I added it to my Cayman. My brakes are better than ever with the Giro's, lines and MBC upgrade.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:05 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
Let me ask you, how hard is the center piece mesh? I swear I am pretty nifty and cannot get it to seat for the life of me without distorting it.

Also, I added the GT3 MBC, the price on the OEM piece has fallen below 300 dollars from 475 when I added it to my Cayman. My brakes are better than ever with the Giro's, lines and MBC upgrade.
The center pieces as well as the side ones that I have built and installed are made from steel gutter guard mesh that I got at Home Depot. The side ones are mounted on the inside and secured with tie wraps ( in case they need to be replaced at some point. The center one is mounted with screws to some some small "L" brackets I made and mounted in the opening. The reason for this is so the center one can routinely and easily be removed for cleaning the small debris that gets through the mesh. this also allows me to reach in and clean the side radiators too. I have never had a problem with them failing and I may have mentioned earlier that one of my side ones took a bird at over 100 and did not fail. Now if the mesh was not there the bird would have damaged that radiator so they paid for themselves that one time. It costs me about three hours to make and install a set and the materials are under eight dollars per car. No I am not nor plan to be in the business just have done them for my cars and some friends.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:12 AM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

forcerecontrojan ( or anyone else ), did you ever do your lighter weight battery ? mine is about ready to replace...

Donn
Old 04-04-2015, 11:12 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

forcerecontrojan ( or anyone else ), did you ever do your lighter weight battery ? mine is about ready to replace...

Donn
Ben got the volkphreaks battery. He says it works very well and is well designed, but didn't notice any decrease in lap times.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:40 PM
TerrySmith
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

what do you guys have planned for upgrades ? almost off-season in the northeast, I'm planning -

. . . wheel studs - https://motorsporthardware.com/produ...ud-kit-14x1-5/ . . .

Donn
You might get a couple of these as cheaper, easier alternatives to wheel studs:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/me...de=99957107430
Old 04-04-2015, 11:00 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Clearplex being installed on Monday, price is $275 installed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 987.2 upgrades