Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Remove Wheel Wax Haze from 20" Carrera S Wheels?

Old 02-09-2014, 12:23 AM
Art14244
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Remove Wheel Wax Haze from 20" Carrera S Wheels?

Well, since I just spent over two hours cleaning my wheels, I have to ask....I have a brand new Cayman S with 20in Carrera S wheels with the gray satin finish. I thought waxing was overkill but the manual recommended it. I even ordered the Wheel Wax product online. Gave it to my detail guy, who put two coats on and they seemed great. Drove the car, washed the car, and holy crap.....a white haze on several spots all over the wheels. Detail guy said he just washed the wheels normally and wiped them off....didn't know what happened, said he couldn't get it to come off.

I thought about it and tried WD40 because I used to use on my boat gel coat for stains and never had an ill effect. It immediately took the haze away and I used an extremely light coat, then wiped that off so hopefully brake dust will not adhere like with petroleum like one of the other posters related. Anyway, I'll see how the WD40 works, but to the poster who said it could eat the clear coat, I;m wondering where you've been told that? My understanding is that WD40 is NON-CORROSIVE (actually a fish oil base) and in my own experience it has never harmed anything I've used it on....boat gel coat included. If you are sure about this, I'd like to know your info source so I can read up on it.

I'd also be interested to hear any replies to my "hazing" comments from the wheel wax.

Thanks, Art
Old 02-09-2014, 11:54 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm. A mild polish would be the first thing is try. Maybe even something like fg400 that cuts hard but finishes good. By hand. To see if there is any changes
Old 02-10-2014, 12:49 AM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your detail guy used an aggressive wheel cleaner, acid based, that fogged the clear coat. Go over it yourself with wax, should fix it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Remove Wheel Wax Haze from 20" Carrera S Wheels?