Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Boxster S Review...

Old 01-12-2014, 01:11 AM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Boxster S Review...

I had a chance to do a bit of a demo drive in a new Boxster S today. I was at the dealer looking into a Audi S8 with my GF and to get some preliminary info on the 991 Turbo. The car was White with black interior and black top with the interior trim painted white as well as the roll bar covers and the other exterior trim. It had manual partial leather seats (note: I do prefer the 14 way electric seats, but don't care for the 18 way Adaptive Sport seats) and the smokers package. I did like the extra plug in and the filler piece makes the center console look more complete as compared to the Cayman I demoed and my own 2013 C4s I recently sold (Dec 13) after a very short period of ownership. The car also was equipped with Bose and a few other bits and bobs that escape me for now but was relatively unadorned options wise. The Bose stereo was present but not used on this hop nor was the nav function. I first did a "fit check" (I am 5'-11" and change with long legs and athletic thighs) and was quite pleased that I did indeed fit as I expected, as I fit in the Cayman a while back as well.

The drive consisted of all surface streets on a perfect SW Florida day, mid 70's and sunny with a touch oh humidity and 15 or so MPH winds. I engaged the use of the ventilated seat option and was instantly rewarded with a nice airflow. The entire drive was with the roof down and the mesh wind baffle in place. Though my hair was blown around some I reckoned it was as much from the days wind as anything. The salesman said little and certainly was very laid back throughout.

For the short drive I took, the around town performance wise it was nice enough but as it had but 15 miles on it when we started, nothing remotely resembling sporty driving was undertaken. It was PDK and Sport Chrono equipped with a multi function steering wheel and while I GREATLY prefer the Sport Design wheel the features on the wheel were good in function and the car responded immediately to all control inputs. Going from normal to sport mode was noticeable and I left it in sport and manually shifted for all the entire time to avoid premature shifts up without going to manual mode on the stick. The car did not have PSE and I preferred it without it. I would definitely love to explore a much longer drive in a car like this that was seasoned enough to push a bit.

I prefer the newer design of the 981 Boxster and also the Cayman as compared to previous versions (Please, no offense is intended). I think the car is more unified body line wise and better looking in person with the nicely Boxster having a nicely integrated top and body lines from the relatively recent redesign, the car has been rather transformed (again to my preference only) in a very tasteful and pleasing way, be it top up or top down. The previous Boxster looked great and Porsche managed to improve on a fine design. Something I think is difficult to do in the evolution of a flagship model without offending the faithful while still attracting potential newcomers to the marque and model.

I cannot really decide if I prefer the 981 CS over the 981 Boxster S. I do believe that the Boxster to my eye anyway would be nice in the white/black/black of this car but also in darker colors as well (triple black, etc..).preferred the visual appearance of the new Cayman shape. For the Cayman thus far, my preference would be white or Basalt Black or perhaps Agate Grey with a black interior. As with anything, I could see another color I like, but I have rather curiously entertained Black again even I thought about the higher cleaning labors involved. I believe the metal flake in the Basalt Black would help hide some of the fine line scratches that inevitably occur. To my eye, it looks badass when clean and properly detailed. Painted wheels would set off the black paint nicely, IMHO.

To me, from the inside it was easier to quickly feel at home as compared to a 991 relative to the outside of the car and other vehicles and in parking. I believe that the seating position afforded a better view of the front end of the car for me in direct comparison to the 991 C4S I had. I did enjoy the open air motoring today and was struck by the fact I have never, in about 100 cars over the years, owned a drop top. It does make me think: WHY?

Seat of the pants feel of this non sport chrono, non PASM car was quite good and it has hard to define "rightness" factor of the platform it shares with the Cayman. I can now see what Boxster drivers like about them as this was my first drive in one as well as my first drive in a convertible in many years. I think I am starting to get it now…

Be safe, have a fine evening and thanks for the time and space to post my opinions.
Patty
Old 01-12-2014, 09:18 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's truly one of the best sports car experiences you can have these days
Old 01-12-2014, 11:11 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The prices certainly are affordable for most any budget be it a new car, CPO or a slightly older car. Lots of support with parts, wheels, tires and suspension upgrades should they be needed.

Be safe
Patty

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Boxster S Review...