Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Porsche Cayman Thread - 991 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 02:36 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb13
No I was referring to the donor car (eg Boxster); would make sense to use a base unless there are other significant advantages to the S
Are there any real advantages with starting with an S versus a base model?

Other than the engine are there an obvious advantages with an S?
Old 03-15-2014, 03:53 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better brakes?
Old 03-15-2014, 04:08 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbred911
That decent oh for a stock 3.4 DFI (no mods). Didn't know they were running that strong. Compared to the 991 3.8 it's sure down on torque but strong for a 3.4
Originally Posted by orthojoe
Porsche seems to underrate their engines in general, which is a good thing.
They do, but imho that's not what's going on here.
Dynos are different, even among dynojets. Where the conditions sensors are, procedures, tire pressure, alignment, cooling, fuel etc. etc....
Have done lots of dyno testing and the 3.4's on the same dyno, same day, same test procedures are always extremely close to each other.
My guess is that on this dyno, that day, same conditions would have had other 3.4 DFI's close.

Originally Posted by skxf430
Are there any real advantages with starting with an S versus a base model?

Other than the engine are there an obvious advantages with an S?
Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Better brakes?
The only diff. in the brakes are the front S's are 15mm larger (330 v. 315) and the rears are the same.
Imho that's not worth the price diff. especially since with 400+hp you'll want to upgrade anyway. Start with a base.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:12 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally agree. The price of starting with an S is not worth it.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:58 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

good ploy by Porsche, eh?

make up a "competitor" to get everyone excited

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
but orders have thinned out massively as people await the "GT4 Unicorn."

Thanks.

John

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-b...version-8.html
Old 08-14-2014, 09:16 AM
vdub199
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you made the same thing than RUF with their 3800s http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...013_ruf_3800s/

Yours seems to be cheaper but it doesn't have the same bodywork level.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:49 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Alois Ruf has been doing this since before I was even born so to say we made the same thing, is something on which I can not comment. For this 1st 981 conversion we did build this car here in our shop but since then we have been doing conversions for customers with the 981. The RUF car has a lot of interior accents that we do not offer. We will install anything anyone wants us to install on their 981 like we have with the 987s in years past.

I think that you could say that we used the same drivetrain components as they did but truth be told, I had no idea RUF made a car like this until we were approached by a customer from Rennlist; I did not know they installed the DFI S motor but it makes perfect sense when you consider how many 3.8L motors they have in inventory. We remove the customer's motor and are required to return it to the factory as part of the reman core program. The inspiration for this car was the 3.8L engine from the Porsche engine program that we had established with our racing series. We just opted for the newer generation 991 motor since we were building a 981 car.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:51 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vdub199
So you made the same thing than RUF with their 3800s http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...013_ruf_3800s/

Yours seems to be cheaper but it doesn't have the same bodywork level.
He also doesn't offer RDK, RASM, And RDCC

I would save my money and go with John, the Ruf body does look great though
Old 02-07-2015, 11:59 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
$92K
I just bought a 2014 Cayman S with 2500 miles and am thinking of an engine swap and coilovers, instead of ordering a GT4. I much prefer the Cayman S over the 911 assuming both have 3.8L engines. Does my relatively fresh engine with no track and no over revs make my swap more affordable? The only option mine does not have that would be on my wishlist is PTV. But I do not plan to track it much other than to just enjoy an occasional fun PCA DE event. I plan to call BGB Monday to talk about a swap, but want to be sure I am barking up the right tree as opposed to ordering a new one... I'm just looking for good ole NA 3.8 torque and power that's fun on the streets, not something for racing.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:09 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Do it!!
Custom roll bar, better brakes and a 3.8 with all the race proven improve stand more power.
Good comfy lightweight seats and you have a unique hot rod GT4RS.

I think john can outdo Porsche because they don't make him neuter the Cayman...
Old 02-08-2015, 08:34 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

It is tantalizing to think of the prospect of swapping a 991 GT3RS engine (when it comes out) into the GT4 I will certainly pay for you guys to do it once warranty runs out on my GT4
Old 02-13-2015, 01:17 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by user1029
It is tantalizing to think of the prospect of swapping a 991 GT3RS engine (when it comes out) into the GT4 I will certainly pay for you guys to do it once warranty runs out on my GT4
There is so much great support and potential on these forums that I need to find some extra hours to follow a lot of this stuff! Thanks you guys! Hopefully one day we can all match faces with names!
Old 02-13-2015, 03:22 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Alois Ruf has been doing this since before I was even born so to say we made the same thing, is something on which I can not comment.

Mad respect.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:10 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by A432
They do, but imho that's not what's going on here.
Dynos are different, even among dynojets. Where the conditions sensors are, procedures, tire pressure, alignment, cooling, fuel etc. etc....
Have done lots of dyno testing and the 3.4's on the same dyno, same day, same test procedures are always extremely close to each other.
My guess is that on this dyno, that day, same conditions would have had other 3.4 DFI's close.

The only diff. in the brakes are the front S's are 15mm larger (330 v. 315) and the rears are the same.
Imho that's not worth the price diff. especially since with 400+hp you'll want to upgrade anyway. Start with a base.
This is false info and it's surprising nobody caught it back then. The S has bigger brakes front and rear (the rear S rotors are thicker), tires and rims are bigger, bi-xenon vs halogen lights, radar interior sensor on the alarm system, more cooling, and it's likely there are stouter parts between the transaxle and rear spindle, as well as suspension differences. If u can add more details, feel free to chime in...

IMO, the base Cayman is more suitable for a 3.4S engine drop in and the S is more suitable for a 3.8L drop in, unless you are building a track car and changing everything.

Last edited by PCA1983; 02-23-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:50 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
This is false info and it's surprising nobody caught it back then. The S has bigger brakes front and rear (the rear S rotors are thicker), tires and rims are bigger, bi-xenon vs halogen lights, radar interior sensor on the alarm system, more cooling, and it's likely there are stouter parts between the transaxle and rear spindle, as well as suspension differences. If u can add more details, feel free to chime in...
I think that it was just a general understatement that we didn't address explicitly. Everything you added is on-point for the most part except for the last additions about the suspension. Yes, the S had some more interior options/creature comforts and yes, the disc thickness and size was not discussed mostly because the idea was to upgrade to 6-piston/340mm up front. We like to keep things in the rear small because we have never felt that Caymans should have large rear brakes when they have 911 hydraulics in the form of the same calipers and discs, albeit with radically different rear suspension designs. Yes, the ABS units do most of the proportioning but calipers and brake piston sizes share more similarities than most would expect. The short(er) ratio transmission in the 2.7 was a deciding factor in starting with the base cars but price was more than anything. As for suspension bits among the Base and S models, the control arms and toe links are the same as are the uprights, wheel bearings and hubs. The axles are different but mostly because the stub shafts in the 6-speed gearboxes are different compared to one another.

Quick Reply: 2014 Porsche Cayman Thread - 991 Conversion