Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

new to rennlist & cayman r

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 09:06 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts
Default new to rennlist & cayman r

Brought it home April 30. Previous owner added RSS harness bar. It's on Micheiln Pilot Super Sports (which I love). I added Schroth 6 point & Pagid R29 pads all around.

Went to 3 days at Watkins Glen with ARPCA May 10-12. It was my "shake-down" cruise and loved every minute. Had an open lapping day Friday (advanced & instructors) and DE Sat/Sun (I instructed).

It's my fourth track car and by far lowest HP/torque. My first Porsche.

I've been lurking for awhile and learned a lot. I look forward to participating and (hopefully) contributing.

I'll need new front rotors soon and am researching options. Right now it has the OEMs.

In the garage at Watkins Glen:
Attachment 728247

Name:  P5100013.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  133.4 KB

At PittRace - the local track (formerly BeaveRun)
Attachment 728248

new Pagid R29's - I did the work myself !
Attachment 728249

Last edited by needmoregarage; 06-27-2022 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Congrats! It looks like you're already enjoying it too..
Old 05-14-2013, 09:20 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

what did you use for brake fluid?

great looking R!

PDK or stick?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Thank you! It's a stick! I'm convinced it's more fun on track even though a bit slower than PDK. I enjoy the entire experience including heel/toeing (even though right now I have a long way to go to get better). My last car was a Z06 and the heel/toe experience was COMPLETELY different. I am giving the Cayman way too much throttle cause the Z06 required a healthy dose to get the revs up. The Cayman revs quickly and easily. My muscle memory has to be re-trained.

It already had Super Blue so that's what I'm using for now. Did a master cylinder flush upon bringing it home (before the Glen) and then did a bleed yesterday to get ready for Road Atlanta next week! My friend (GT3) taught me how to do the bleed, and pad change, myself (it's easy and I can save a few bucks) and I like doing my own work when possible.

Yep! Already enjoying it. Planning Road Atlanta next week, Watkins Glen at the end of May, Pocono in June, Mid-Ohio in September, and of course PittRace several times during the season. Last year I was at Road America and I hope to go back (it won't be as scary the second time), and I'd love to get to VIR but it may have to wait until next season.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations! It looks great.
A CR is an absolutely terrific first Porsche.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 139 Posts

I like the colour!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:46 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the welcome.

Today I was coming out of an auto parts store and a young man (looked 16 but what do I know) asked if it was my Cayman R. I say yes. He asks if it's a stick. I say yes. He say's "thank you for choosing to drive a manual". Surprising, and nice to see a youngster who appreciates a manual. I thought we were a dying breed
Old 05-14-2013, 10:54 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

I am not even that old....I think...and I just learned to drive manual 3 years ago, heel and toe 2 years ago, and not brake going around mosport 2 weeks ago....and I don't think we will ever be a dying breed!

Well at least for a few more years
Old 05-14-2013, 11:09 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 191 Posts

Congrats on the R. You made the right choice!

I'm in the market for some rotors too. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what people recommend. I've seen some people using Girodisks, but they have mixed reviews. I'm not convinced they are worth the extra cost.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:43 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

I am running girodisks with pagids. They are holding up pretty well through 8 DE days so far. 2 of those were open days with at least 3.5 hours of track time each. So far so good. That being said Mosport is very fast so its easy on brakes and rotors.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:05 AM
BlackPenquinn
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice car. I ended up with a Cayman after driving much higher hp cars. I sold my R8 V10 for the Cayman. I put a set of Giro-Disc rotors on after my stock units were done. So far so good.

I also went manual, put in a heigo bar (fits great), GT2 seats, RSS LCA's, monoball bushings, etc. car is awesome, but now I need to find some power.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:21 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Nice! Welcome to the club. Nice to see another CR that is tracked.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:41 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

so, what is your thoughts of going from the torque monster Z06 to the well balanced Caymen R?
Old 05-15-2013, 02:27 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
so, what is your thoughts of going from the torque monster Z06 to the well balanced Caymen R?
Both are fun for different reasons. So far - the Cayman feels incredibly nimble and very solid at high speeds. The Z06 was "toss-able" and would break loose easily. The Cayman slides and I can stay in it longer. The Z06 wandered a bit at high speeds (probably correctable with mods but didn't do anything to address it yet). The Cayman is by far the most "appropriate" track car I've had yet. Z06 was my first manual car (I learned to shift way back when I was 16 but never owned a stick till now although had occasional chances to drive them over the years so it came back pretty quick)

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Nice! Welcome to the club. Nice to see another CR that is tracked.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by BlackPenquinn
Nice car. I ended up with a Cayman after driving much higher hp cars. I sold my R8 V10 for the Cayman. I put a set of Giro-Disc rotors on after my stock units were done. So far so good.

I also went manual, put in a heigo bar (fits great), GT2 seats, RSS LCA's, monoball bushings, etc. car is awesome, but now I need to find some power.
Thanks for the welcome and mods list. Before the Z06 I tracked a Lambo LP560. Talk about fun! Mid-engine AWD, egear. Stuck like glue. VERY balanced. Amazing HP/torque. The downside: a very expensive car and I drove in fear that something might happen - so I always held back and could never really push myself or the car. Had a blast but the Z06 was more fun in many ways cause it's easily repaired, I can get track day insurance, and I don't have to worry nearly as much. I did get it up to 165 at Pocono. The car had much more to give but 165 was my limit. It was solid as a rock - but speeds over 145 scare me so it takes me awhile to build the confidence to go really fast. I'm more about the corners than about high top speeds (and will readily admit it). I love the Lambo (I think it is a piece of rolling sculpture) but we drive it less and less so we may part with it sooner than later.

Originally Posted by GentlemanRacer
I am running girodisks with pagids. They are holding up pretty well through 8 DE days so far. 2 of those were open days with at least 3.5 hours of track time each. So far so good. That being said Mosport is very fast so its easy on brakes and rotors.
Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by ranger22
Congrats on the R. You made the right choice!

I'm in the market for some rotors too. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what people recommend. I've seen some people using Girodisks, but they have mixed reviews. I'm not convinced they are worth the extra cost.
I've been wondering the same thing although they've been recommended by multiple people.

I am not even that old....I think...and I just learned to drive manual 3 years ago, heel and toe 2 years ago, and not brake going around mosport 2 weeks ago....and I don't think we will ever be a dying breed!

Well at least for a few more years
I didn't mean to imply YOU were old!! I am mid-50's so I guess that's probably "old" in these circles. I'm also a bad judge of age - especially on teens and twenty somethings.

I like the colour!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Congratulations! It looks great.
A CR is an absolutely terrific first Porsche.
I agree!

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Congrats! It looks like you're already enjoying it too..
Absolutely!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:51 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome and congrats on your purchase, it looks like your really enjoying it so far and love the color

Quick Reply: new to rennlist & cayman r