Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning light on my 987s

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Big Ant
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning light on my 987s

Ok so I woke up this morning to attend the first autocross of the season and upon starting the car a warning light came on. The warning light says failure indicator with the oil temp. It's not running hot at all in fact the needle is buried at 100 and won't rise. It was extremely cold this morning here is philly if that helps. Any help would be gladly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Ant
Ok so I woke up this morning to attend the first autocross of the season and upon starting the car a warning light came on. The warning light says failure indicator with the oil temp. It's not running hot at all in fact the needle is buried at 100 and won't rise. It was extremely cold this morning here is philly if that helps. Any help would be gladly appreciated. Thanks.
Reads like an oil temp sensor is malfunctioning, reading either the very minimum temp or the very maximum temp.

Can you get the oil level reading? In the oil temp/oil level sensors I've seen the oil temp and oil level sensors are in a tube but have separate wires. If the connector is bad this might affect both readings. If the thermister is bad or its wiring bad just the oil temp reading will be wrong.

The really cold morning temp might play some role but I'm not sure what. Many cars are subjected to extremely low temps and and do not generate an oil temp error so the cold temp is not the sole reason for the error. It might have contributed something though.

Probably too late now but I'd give the 1st autocross a miss and book the car in for this. You want a working oil temp sensor/sender.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:28 AM
Big Ant
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer will get a phone call in morning then. Thanks for all the info.

Quick Reply: Warning light on my 987s