Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Sticky Horn?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky Horn?

I have a '12 Spyder with the standard (Black) wheel, with no radio controls. When I just tap the horn, it 'beeps' for at least a second - long enough to make you worry that the horn is stuck and you might need to push it again to free it. Being a small car that can dart into gaps in traffic, letting other drivers know you are there sometimes is pretty important, but I don't want to sound like I'm being an a**.

Not having any horn beep when locking and unlocking the car is a pain, apparently Porsche made them this way though.

Is this sticking horn a common or known issue?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Littlebulldogg
Track Day

Have the same issue with my 11' Have never researched why though.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:18 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

The sticking horn happened to my too (on my Spyder), and I think my dealer said it was not uncommon. I had it fixed. Take it in to your dealer.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:20 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

There's a wire in your airbag unit that is getting caught. This is a common problem when you are swapping steering wheels and then re-assembling the airbag unit. I had this happen to me when I swapped to my RS 4.0 steering wheel. There's a group of wires that will get pinched if the airbag unit is not placed back in perfectly. When the wires get caught, the horn will stick. My bet is that when your airbag was assembled at the factory one of the wires got caught. It's an easy fix. You can either remove the airbag unit yourself and re-adjust or just take it to the dealer and have them do it.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:52 PM
pjmachineco

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My horn also sticks.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Look directly under the steering column. You will see a small circular dimple. punch through the dimple with a long screwdriver or something equivalent to release the airbag unit. pull the airbag unit forward and you'll see the wiring that connects to the airbag. Fold/readjust the wires so they don't catch into the housing, push the the airbag unit back in. Test. repeat until the stick goes away.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Or just take it into the dealer and have them fix it under warranty... (All our cars are still under warranty unless you have some non-Porsche steering wheel or course...).

This is what I just did and it doesn't stick anymore.

Andy
Old 11-09-2012, 09:41 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine was sticking but just the rubber center piece to the outer, not wires. I put a very very small amount of lubricant on the two rubber parts that stuck and it was fixed. When I checked with the service guys at the dealer, that's how they said they fixed it. Super high-tech....
Old 11-10-2012, 12:01 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tapeworm
unless you have some non-Porsche steering wheel or course...).
A non-Porsche steering wheel would not have an airbag/horn unit to stick. Some people just like to do things themselves because
A) they can and take pride in it
B) don't trust anyone else to do it correctly
C) don't want to waste the time at the dealer when it's a 5 minute fix
Old 11-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

I would release the airbag myself and re-seat the wiring harness into the space provided, carefully. But first, I would disconnect the negative terminal on my battery for safety's sake.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Disconnect the negative terminal and wait a while, on older cars this could be 20 mins, I think modern car only have a ~1min wait - airbag systems have large capacitors so if the battery gets disconnected in an accident, they can still fire. Personally I would let the dealer do it as it's saftey equipment and I don't want to mess with it.

Orthojoe - pre-kids I had an EVO MR and spent many hours taking amost every part of the car apart, improving it and putting it back together - this was a car that just begged to be 'improved'. Kids have taken pretty much all that free time away, so using the dealer for small things is no big deal to me anymore. I guess I'm done with modifying cars as well, if you want something faster, buy something faster, great, used GT3s are not a lot more than a Spyder.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Disconnect the negative terminal and wait a while, on older cars this could be 20 mins, I think modern car only have a ~1min wait - airbag systems have large capacitors so if the battery gets disconnected in an accident, they can still fire. Personally I would let the dealer do it as it's saftey equipment and I don't want to mess with it.

Orthojoe - pre-kids I had an EVO MR and spent many hours taking amost every part of the car apart, improving it and putting it back together - this was a car that just begged to be 'improved'. Kids have taken pretty much all that free time away, so using the dealer for small things is no big deal to me anymore. I guess I'm done with modifying cars as well, if you want something faster, buy something faster, great, used GT3s are not a lot more than a Spyder.
That is the same approach I have taken with my cars with exception to the detailing which I still do. But I'm efficient with detailing and my kids often hang out with me in the garage and sometimes help too.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:26 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

You used to have an MR? Nice! Totally agree with keeping cars stock. My MR is great, but the headaches aren't worth it. Especially with a Porsche, best to keep it stock/oem.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:35 AM
Jay9722
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 78 Posts

I had the sticky horn issue and dealer replaced the entire steering wheel under warranty.

Quick Reply: Sticky Horn?