Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Red alcantara seat inserts are IN: My spyder is complete

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:36 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Red alcantara seat inserts are IN: My spyder is complete

Well, after 5 months I finally have my red alcantara inserts. They were worth the wait because they are AWESOME. The alacantara is a perfect color match, and looks/feels great. The inserts are a perfect fit. The foam cushions feel/look perfect (the bottom foam is Porsche OEM).

The pictures show what I've done with the interior:
Rennline pedals, Rennline floor board and track mats, GT2 RS shift ****, RS 4.0 Steering wheel, carbon bucket seats, Heritage Trim red alcantara inserts with carbontech seat heater elements, BK FE mount with halguard FE, Schroth Profi II-6 GT3 harnesses with BK submounts.

I am now perfectly content with my spyder.

Inserts were purchased from Heritage Trim. I was the 'prototype', so it took them a while to get it right, but they got it right in the end. For you guys that are interested, it shouldn't take anywhere near as long as it did for me because now they have all the patterns needed to make these.

Last edited by orthojoe; 12-20-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:37 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Does anybody know how the OEM seat heaters switch from Hi to low? There's only one power wire, and one ground in the harness that went to my original OEM sport heated seats. I'm trying to wire my new heated cushions into the OEM switch rather than use the aftermarket switch
Old 03-28-2012, 03:41 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job! Super nicely done.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 AM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts

Looks great. Nice work
Old 03-28-2012, 09:31 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice!
i especially love the rennline floor mats in black
Old 03-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Does anybody know how the OEM seat heaters switch from Hi to low? There's only one power wire, and one ground in the harness that went to my original OEM sport heated seats. I'm trying to wire my new heated cushions into the OEM switch rather than use the aftermarket switch
You push the button once and it goes to 'high' with both lights illuminated. Push the button again and it switches to 'low' with only one light lit. Push the button again and the heat is off. I would imagine there is some sort of resistor in the switch mechanism, but I'm not sure. You should be able to hook up the new one just like the factory one was.

The car looks great! Now all you need is an alcantara console lid. With red stitching. Or, Suncoast has a red alcantara console lid listed at a great price - less than half the regular one.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:42 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe - they look awesome. Well worth the wait.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:51 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks great, Joe, though I'm with Bill on the console lid (the red stitching one). The standard lid is just the cheapest looking part Porsche makes, and it is so visible.

Any consideration to door panel alcantara?
Old 03-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Joe that looks fantastic!

The Red Alcantara really adds some color and really makes the interior stand out.

With a few more changes your interior will match the RS 4.0. Center console lid and E brake should be on your list!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
That looks great, Joe, though I'm with Bill on the console lid (the red stitching one). The standard lid is just the cheapest looking part Porsche makes, and it is so visible.

The door panel alcantara would be sweet too, but it would probably need to be done by an upholstery shop.

I agree, what is up with the cheap looking console lid, especially when you pony up for a full leather car! I wasn't too thrilled to see that when I received my car. I have the upgraded Leather Console Lid with the stitching and Porsche crest on my list. I would prefer it without the crest but I couldn't find it offered.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:19 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That console lid is the cheapest lid we've had on any car we've ever owned and that includes couple of 1988 Toyotas, a 1982 Mercury Capri and a 1980 Mazda 626... it is shockingly cheap looking/feeling.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

That console lid is the cheapest lid we've had on any car we've ever owned and that includes couple of 1988 Toyotas, a 1982 Mercury Capri and a 1980 Mazda 626... it is shockingly cheap looking/feeling.
The only saving grace is that you can't really see it when you're in the drivers seat unless you reach for something inside it. But seriously, Porsche bean counters is written all over that console lid.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:10 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

ok what do you use to prevent wear on the seats. It's like a condom for the seat lol.

The one good thing about these seats is that unlike regular seats, if you take care dropping into the buckets wear is pretty minimal.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:31 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone!

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
You push the button once and it goes to 'high' with both lights illuminated. Push the button again and it switches to 'low' with only one light lit. Push the button again and the heat is off. I would imagine there is some sort of resistor in the switch mechanism, but I'm not sure. You should be able to hook up the new one just like the factory one was.
Thanks Bill. My car originally came with the P77 sport heated seats. It killed me. But let's not dwell on the past. What I would like to do is wire my new heated alcantara inserts into the factory switches already in my car. In order for me to do that, it would help to know how the wiring works from the factory to switch from hi/low. I've already isolated the wire in the harness that sends power to the stock heated seats. There's only one red power and one black ground. If the switch just changes the resistance, then it will be a very simple removal of the aftermarket switch and tap straight inline to the factory system.

The car looks great! Now all you need is an alcantara console lid. With red stitching. Or, Suncoast has a red alcantara console lid listed at a great price - less than half the regular one.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Joe that looks fantastic!

The Red Alcantara really adds some color and really makes the interior stand out.

With a few more changes your interior will match the RS 4.0. Center console lid and E brake should be on your list!
Originally Posted by Marine Blue
The door panel alcantara would be sweet too, but it would probably need to be done by an upholstery shop.
You guys are killing me. I just convinced myself that the car was 'perfect', and now you're poisoning my mind with more things to do.

Originally Posted by khooni
ok what do you use to prevent wear on the seats. It's like a condom for the seat lol.

The one good thing about these seats is that unlike regular seats, if you take care dropping into the buckets wear is pretty minimal.
The bolster protector was purchased from a group buy that was done over at the GT2/GT3 forum. I agree it's not sexy, but it doesnt bother me when I'm driving the car for myself. I would agree that with any car showings/photos I should take them off.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by khooni

I have the same seat protector on mine and they work well. I agree that dropping into the seats will prevent any where on these seats but passengers can't seem to figure this out and I cringed anytime I took someone for a ride.

Quick Reply: Red alcantara seat inserts are IN: My spyder is complete