Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Stereo Sound Systems Options of Cayman R & Boxster Spyder!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 02:50 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Stereo Sound Systems Options of Cayman R & Boxster Spyder!

I have questions regarding the sound systems available for the Cayman R. The sound system choice on the Spyder is limited to the Sound Package Plus System for $700 and you get the optional CDR-30 Radio at no charge. I believe the Sound Package Plus includes 7 speakers and a 185 watt output receiver. The Cayman R, on the other hand, appears to get three 'sound' options per the current PCNA's configurator:

1) CDR-30 Audio System (at no charge) - 'With optimized handling, 5-inch Display (monochrome) and MP3 audio play with 4 loudspeaker and integrated amplifier (2 x 25 watts)'

2) Sound Package Plus ($700) - 'Sound system with 9 loudspeakers and 235 watt output'. (Corrected on Dec 4th)

3) Bose Surround Sound System ($1690) - 'Digital sound system for special sound experience, altogether 11 loudspeaker inclusive active subwoofer and center speaker. Seven channel amplifier with 385 watts of total output and original BOSE signal processing technology. Microphone for interior noise measuring for the permanent optimization of volume and sound pattern for a balanced three dimensional sound as well as a highly transparent, original, faithful surround sound during the rendition of music in 5.1.'

The no cost CDR-30 Audio System has the lightest components, but also offers the least sound quality and the lowest amplifier power. But I have a question for those that have a Spyder with a factory CDR-30 radio & Sound Package Plus. Is this $700 option worth it? And for those with the new Boxster S and Cayman S that have the Bose Surround Sound System (which on those models only costs $990), is this system worth the extra money?

I don't know how many will order Bose on the R since the spirit of the Cayman is performance and not high-fidelity, plus it will add some unwanted weight. In addition, we still don't know the level of sound insulation on the Cayman R. It will probably be closer to the current Cayman S instead of the lightly insulated cabin of the mostly track oriented .2 RS. Yet, stereo buffs might still want to combine their sport car with their sound hobby by ordering the Bose package. I just want to know from forum members that have these two sound systems on similar Porsche models - Sound Pkg Plus and Bose Surround - their opinions on how they sound & if they are worth the additional expense. z356

Last edited by Z356; 12-04-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:03 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

I have the Sound Package Plus in my Spyder -- I would say that it is quite good (but not great). I don't think I would opt for the radio without Sound Package Plus. In fact, given a choice, I would have selected the Bose system in the Spyder (were it available). Satellite radio is terrific, and that option isn't available with the Spyder (a high-end shop added a Sirius receiver for me). Guessing satellite radio is available with the Cayman R, though. It all depends on how important it is to you to have some tunes playing while driving. I wouldn't worry about adding weight -- in fact, a full leather interior probably adds more weight than any of the three radio options!
Old 11-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the input, Zellamsee. Yes, XM satellite radio is available on the Cayman R, unlike the Spyder where Porsche probably had an issue as to where to locate the XM antenna. But it isn't cheap. The XM unit itself is $750. Then you need the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) with Navigation at $3,110 and then either the $700 Sound Pkg Plus or the $1690 Bose sound systems (speakers & amplifiers). So wanting the factory XM radio option forces you into a mayor expenditure. I still think the aftermarket solution you got in your Spyder is more cost effective if anyone wants to do XM (which I do)! z356
Old 11-28-2010, 10:24 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,604 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Thanks for the input, Zellamsee. Yes, XM satellite radio is available on the Cayman R, unlike the Spyder where Porsche probably had an issue as to where to locate the XM antenna. But it isn't cheap. The XM unit itself is $750. Then you need the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) with Navigation at $3,110 and then either the $700 Sound Pkg Plus or the $1690 Bose sound systems (speakers & amplifiers). So wanting the factory XM radio option forces you into a mayor expenditure. I still think the aftermarket solution you got in your Spyder is more cost effective if anyone wants to do XM (which I do)! z356
IMHO, I don't think it had to do with where to put the antenna. There is plenty of locations that are more than suitable on the Spyder. Here is my theory: Porsche made the Spyder pretty limited option wise to go with the lightweight theme. They offered some amenities to satisfy the few that wanted them. Well fact is more than half of orders added back all those heavy options. Knowing this Porsche decided to add back more options knowing that plenty will tick the boxes. I think it's funny though with the Cayman R. What I don't get is why would you get the Cayman R add back all the weight savings (Sport Seats, Radio, A/C etc.) when you can get a Cayman S with the Design Sport Package and it'll look the same (minus the stripes). Yes, I know that it has the Suspension and 10hp+ and exterior color interior trim, but if you add back everything I'm pretty sure you won't be missing the aluminum doors, decals, A/C and Radio delete. Visually the R is no different than the CS Design Sport Package. I could be wrong (more than likely). At least the Spyder had visual difference to justify.

Okay, I'll stop as I'm getting a bit
Old 11-28-2010, 11:35 PM
pcw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the CDR-30 with plus in my Spyder, the system sounds ok. My thought was to get some really good speakers at a later date and to keep the head unit. But to be honest for the Spyder at least, not sure with the open top it would really make a difference. Sound is very subjective anyway but I guess the extra 700.00 for the plus was not to bad.

pcw
Old 11-29-2010, 08:09 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Best sound option on the Spyder is the Sport Exhaust (XLF). Radio will never sound that great in a convertible.

As far as the Cayman R, if you intend to add the radio then you might as well add the best one. Unless you're using the Cayman as a daily driver or long distance car I can't see why XM would be necessary. Hook up your Ipod for those weekend runs and save some weight.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Rob T
Advanced

The slightly used Spyder that I test drove at Walter's Porsche had the sound package and I thought it sounded pretty decent while listening in the parking lot. But I agree with Marine Blue, it doesn't really matter much as sound quality will be hurt with all the background noise inherent in a convertible.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rob T
The slightly used Spyder that I test drove at Walter's Porsche had the sound package and I thought it sounded pretty decent while listening in the parking lot. But I agree with Marine Blue, it doesn't really matter much as sound quality will be hurt with all the background noise inherent in a convertible.
Well, I am considering a Cayman R. Would still be interested in anyone with actual experience with the Bose Surround Sound option on a Cayman or Cayman S. Anyone? z356
Old 12-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I am considering a Cayman R. Would still be interested in anyone with actual experience with the Bose Surround Sound option on a Cayman or Cayman S. Anyone? z356
I have a friend with a 2009 Cayman S. He is an audiophile with a great home system. When shopping for a deal on a new Cayman S, he found a car with all the options he wanted except for the xenon headlamps and the Bose, but his car has the Sound Package Plus. He said he thought he would be disappointed with just the sound package plus, and wished it had the Bose. However, after living with the car for a few months he said overall the sound package plus is good enough enough especially in a small interior. He still wishes the car had xenon headlamps.

I'd probably go with the Bose rather than question it after the fact, especially if spec'ing a car to my own taste. However, we have a Bose systems in my wife's MB and my 08 Boxster RS60. Personally, I've never been that impressed with Bose, but again, I'd probably still opt to have the best sound system available. However, if you are on the fence about the sport exhaust vs. Bose, I'd say save some money and get the sound package plus and the sport exhaust rather than the Bose. The sport exhaust really adds to the enjoyment of driving these cars and you can turn the sound on/off with a button. IMHO thats a lot nicer than having a rediculously loud aftermarket exhaust thats on all the time.

BTW, my wife usually prefers that I drive the Boxster with the sport exhaust on and the Bose off.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 12-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Dino, your wife is my kind of woman. My wife, on the other hand, is the opposite. Often she doesn't recognize our car in a parking lot. And she could care less about sport exhaust, performance, etc! Sad. But she lets me indulge in my automobile passion. So it is not all bad. z356
Old 12-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Rob T
Advanced

If sound quality is really important to you, it would probably be better to just put an after market system in the car.

I'm going to make a broad generalization and say "Bose sucks". A slight bit of hyperbole perhaps, but only slight.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Dino, your wife is my kind of woman.
Some weekends its just one car event after another and she loves going to them, so she is definitely a keeper

As long as your wife lets you indulge in your automotive hobbies, thats all that matters!
Old 12-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rob T
If sound quality is really important to you, it would probably be better to just put an after market system in the car.

I'm going to make a broad generalization and say "Bose sucks". A slight bit of hyperbole perhaps, but only slight.
I'm not sure I'd say Bose sucks, just overrated.

As for aftermarket stuff, I've seen a number of people go that route and not really come out ahead in sound or workmanship. So personally I stick with the factory options...but thats just my 2 cents.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Dino, Jill is definitely a keeper. Not many women share the same love for cars. The fact that she prefers a sport exhaust over the stereo also says allot!

Z356
As far as the stereo, why not head over to a dealer which has both stereos available to try? Bring one of your favorite CD's or IPOD and Cable and listen to both back to back. When I bought my Speed3 I was about to spend $2K more to get the upgraded Bose Stereo and Leather Seats. Turns out that the standard stereo sounded more natural and I didn't care for the way the seats looked. Saved myself $2k.

I will add again that the sports exhaust is a huge improvement. When I test drove the Spyder the sales guy never mentioned that it had a sports exhaust. When driving it I was completely drawn in by the sound and the wail at full throttle. It was the first time I didn't even bother to turn the radio on in a car during a test drive. When driving I thought, wow Porsche really has done their homework on the exhaust. When we got back to the dealer the salesman says, want to hear what it sounds like without the sports exhaust and I looked at him with confusion. I had no idea the car had a sports exhaust until he turned it off. Then I said, why on earth would anyone order one of these without a sports exhaust? He said "yeah it makes a huge difference". Question is, why doesn't Porsche make it a standard feature!

Last edited by Marine Blue; 12-02-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Marine: One of the reasons Porsche does NOT make the Sport Exhaust standard on the Spyder or the Cayman R is that it gives Porsche a way to circumvent strict exhaust noise regulations in certain countries where they sell cars. For example, Switzerland has very strict noise regulations. Russia probably doesn't have many. The US is probably in-between. Making it an 'option' and not 'standard equipment', Porsche avoids having to present this Sport exhaust to the bureaucrats in Bern or anywhere else to pass judgement on the decibel levels of this one. Instead, they are given data on the standard exhaust which meets their criteria.

Michael Hack of Porsche Exclusive told me that his department was very proud of the 'aggressive' sound they had achieved with the Sport Exhaust, which was developed by them (Exclusive) and not by the 'line engineers', as he called the production people in charge of exhaust development for the series cars. But I agree with you, people that do not order the Sport Exhaust are missing a good portion of the aural excitement that these two models provide. And the problem with aftermarket sport exhaust units are that it might void the Porsche new car warranties, depending on interpretation by PCNA or the Porsche field tech rep that services your local dealer.

Re: Sound. I would go to my dealer to check out the various sound systems on the Cayman but he is in Colorado and I am presently in Carmel, CA. I was previously set on the Spyder with Sport Chrono, so I had no choice but to get CDR-30 (for n/c) and pay $700 for 'Sound Pkg. Plus'. But now that I am thinking of the Cayman R, after my visit to the LA Auto Show, I am first asking in the forums to see what actual owners experiences are with either of these two options - Sound Pkg Plus and Bose - on Caymans since I will have to make a decision soon, before I get back to Colorado in Christmas. And I don't want to bother a dealer that I am not going to purchase from here in California. z356

Quick Reply: Stereo Sound Systems Options of Cayman R & Boxster Spyder!