Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why should I buy a Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Hoya
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why should I buy a Boxster?

It would be base. I'm not spending more than $45k...

So with all the other options (vette, loaded G37 6MT, 335i coupe with nav, etc) why a Boxster? I've always liked them, but my last car purchase was somewhat impulsive. I don't want to do that again.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:43 PM
peakpro
AutoX

I'm new to porsche owenrship but after a few test drives I realized that the cars are just great to drive.

I went first with a base boxster and have recently purchased a cpo'ed S. Buts a smile on my face every time I start it up.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:45 PM
tinman
Rennlist Member

Hoya, you enjoy VW's,.....I had 7, and have had my R32 for 4 months now. I'll tell you this, you've probably always wanted a Porsche, and if you buy something else that feeling won't go away. You may find it pricey to maintain, but the satisfaction of ownership far outweighs sacrifices in life you'll make to maintain your financials. Think about it for a while, drive what you can buy, don't buy a 987 4S if you're going to buy a Boxster. When you drive it, you're driving a car that doesn't feel like all the other cars out there. Drive one and experience it.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:40 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

If you value other people's opinions, some people will like your choice, some people won't. Most magazines that review small sporty convertibles in that price range always, always, compare whatever car they are testing to the Boxster. It means that the Boxster is something they all have to measure up to, and most of them don't. At least in the author's minds.

You buy a car, or anything or that matter, because you like it best. I compared the 987S to all the other options you mentioned, and then some. I bought the Boxster because I liked it best. So, test drive your choices, and see which one you like best. Don't be impulsive.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:29 AM
akif
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hoya

So with all the other options (vette, loaded G37 6MT, 335i coupe with nav, etc) why a Boxster? I've always liked them, but my last car purchase was somewhat impulsive. I don't want to do that again.
If you're wondering, then you probably shouldn't

Before I bought mine, I test drove the other options. To me (I didn't drive the 911), all the other cars were performance sedans - the boxster was a sports car. I wanted a sports car.

If you're worried about being impulsive... test drive one, wait a few days/weeks, test drive some other cars, and the boxster again. It should be clear whether IT IS the car that you want or not.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:30 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Just be sure you've got *very* good impulse control if you decide to test drive a Boxster. I went to look and test drive one with no real intention of buying and I, uh, kinda-sorta bought in on the spot.

These things are addictive. You have been warned.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
Just be sure you've got *very* good impulse control if you decide to test drive a Boxster. I went to look and test drive one with no real intention of buying and I, uh, kinda-sorta bought in on the spot.

These things are addictive. You have been warned.
LOL!! Very true.

Impulsiveness is actually how I bought my first Porsche, the C4S. I test drove a Boxster back in 2001, test drove a fleet of other small convertibles, too. All in a span of several months. Went back to the Porsche dealer, sat through the order guides, made a tentative spec list, told him I'll think about it. Came back a few weeks later, had the picture of the 986S I wanted firmly printed out in my mind, figured out the costs, rates, etc with the salesman. Just before I signed on the dotted line, the devil of a salesman said, "BTW, the new C4S is coming, and I have an allotment. I have some posters, if you want to see them ". I ordered the C4S on the spot, just based on posters. And took the posters home .

No regrets. I still have the C4S. And I ordered a 987S for the wife 3 years later, after the requisite test drive of other cars, yada, yada, yada. No regrets either. Lesson: Even if you impulse buy a Porsche, you won't regret it.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A boxster isn't for a short term fling...even though she can be racy at times.

You should buy a boxster because even after a few years she will still be making you smile !!!!!
Old 03-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishdriver

A boxster isn't for a short term fling...even though she can be racy at times.

You should buy a boxster because even after a few years she will still be making you smile !!!!!
Couldn't agree more! Mine is turning 4 years old in April. Oh yeah, once you own a Porsche, it's hard not to; this is my 4th P car.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:15 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Does the 45K include membership to Rennlist?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:12 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

You should buy a lightly used Boxster S for $45K

Seriously, those cars are completely different animals - drive them and see which one feel like the car you want to drive most. Few cars can match the all-around performance, steering and braking feel, reliability, resale, and usefulness of 2 trunks and 17mpg - and even fewer of those are pure sports cars
Old 03-26-2008, 10:45 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Great driving car and very comfortable. Personally, I find the lines of the Boxster to be better than the 911 cab also, and for half the cost it is a steal.

Originally Posted by Chris C.
You should buy a lightly used Boxster S for $45K

Seriously, those cars are completely different animals - drive them and see which one feel like the car you want to drive most. Few cars can match the all-around performance, steering and braking feel, reliability, resale, and usefulness of 2 trunks and 17mpg - and even fewer of those are pure sports cars
+1 for a slightly used "S". When we had our Boxster my wife would get close to 30 mpg commuting--unfortunately the best I ever did was a little over 20...
Old 03-26-2008, 12:23 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I really really miss my Boxster. :-(
Old 03-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Jim in St.Louis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Boxster has very low maintenance costs. Don't believe me, check the maintenance schedule at the dealer.
My '05 base Boxster [7th Porsche I have owned] gets 21- 23 MPG around town and 28-30 MPG on the highway.
Jim
Old 03-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

My 335i coupe is super fun. Really. It's a great car. My 07 base Boxster is way more fun to drive than the 335i coupe. That's why you should buy a Boxster.

Quick Reply: Why should I buy a Boxster?